The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Anyone a geologist?

orcasgonewild

If it's oil and gas the story would be the same.  Not sure how the mining industry is doing right now but many graduate and work in that sector as "hard rock" geos.    Anyway stick with it as the petroleum side is up and down with energy prices but they will rebound as world production levels drop off. OPEC has announced cuts already and prices for the benchmark West Texas oil is expected to hit 60-65$ per barrel in 2017.  A far cry from the record prices but reasonably decent.  The downside is US oil&gas from shale reserves will become profitable and those producers will go on stream which could have a tendency to push prices down somewhat again in the short term.  Relax just get your degree and roll with it.  When prices take off again industry will be crying for geologists and you will be able to pick your job.

13 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

If it's oil and gas the story would be the same.  Not sure how the mining industry is doing right now but many graduate and work in that sector as "hard rock" geos.    Anyway stick with it as the petroleum side is up and down with energy prices but they will rebound as world production levels drop off. OPEC has announced cuts already and prices for the benchmark West Texas oil is expected to hit 60-65$ per barrel in 2017.  A far cry from the record prices but reasonably decent.  The downside is US oil&gas from shale reserves will become profitable and those producers will go on stream which could have a tendency to push prices down somewhat again in the short term.  Relax just get your degree and roll with it.  When prices take off again industry will be crying for geologists and you will be able to pick your job.

Thanks buddy it means a lot :)

I'm not a geologist, but I have a few friends who are and have been mine geologists and one worked in exploration. One has moved a way from that to just being a mine manager - the deposit is fully mapped out and the mine will probably close in 20 yrs. Another works at a potash mine; he has managed to keep his job through some lay offs, but  if the potash price goes down again :/ The last who worked in exploration really enjoyed a lot of his work but through a couple takeovers he got moved all over the country and of course with exploration it means a lot of time spent in the middle of nowhere, like little to no outside conact. I worked one summer in exploration and loved it.

I started down that path.

if you like being away from home and living in a tent in the mosquitoes, it's a great life until you land a desk job or keep bouncing with the economy. Geologists don't work in town. 

Havent you talked to any? Most are out of work or working cheap.

I work with a masters and she makes 70k. 

You better have a career plan if you're going into this. Do you really want to live in Alberta or an exploration camp? BC's mining is like a sine wave so if that's your goal, best of luck staying employed. There are of course other employers, but with a glut of competition... 

best of luck 

19 hours ago, otherwise said:

I'm not a geologist, but I have a few friends who are and have been mine geologists and one worked in exploration. One has moved a way from that to just being a mine manager - the deposit is fully mapped out and the mine will probably close in 20 yrs. Another works at a potash mine; he has managed to keep his job through some lay offs, but  if the potash price goes down again :/ The last who worked in exploration really enjoyed a lot of his work but through a couple takeovers he got moved all over the country and of course with exploration it means a lot of time spent in the middle of nowhere, like little to no outside conact. I worked one summer in exploration and loved it.

9 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I started down that path.

if you like being away from home and living in a tent in the mosquitoes, it's a great life until you land a desk job or keep bouncing with the economy. Geologists don't work in town. 

Havent you talked to any? Most are out of work or working cheap.

I work with a masters and she makes 70k. 

You better have a career plan if you're going into this. Do you really want to live in Alberta or an exploration camp? BC's mining is like a sine wave so if that's your goal, best of luck staying employed. There are of course other employers, but with a glut of competition... 

best of luck 

Thanks!!! I'll definitely take your responses into account. Thanks for taking time out of your days to help me out

Archived