The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The glass is half full

VIC_CITY

For a season with so many down points (seemingly), if you told me at the beggining of the season that we'd be 3 points out of a playoff spot on Dec 31st, I think I'd be pretty happy with that.

This is exactly where our faithful thought we could be - right in the mix for a playoff spot. There's a lot of work left to do, but man does this team ever have heart and things are definitely looking up.

Our goaltending has been phenomenal for the most part. Guys like Stetcher, Tryamkin and Sbisa have been pleasant surprises. Bo and Granlund have taken the next step. Baertschi has really turned it on since being scratched, which looks like WD's best move of the season. Sutter is healthy and contributing. Depth guys like Skille, Chaput and Megna have stepped into the lineup and held their own. Burrows looks like he's 3 or 4 years younger and the Sedins are once again busting their asses and leading this team. 

Our team has also done a complete 180 in the faceoff circle (thank you Manny Malholtra!). 

Sure, Eriksson could have a few more goals and our PP could be a lot better, but there's still a lot to like here. You have to remember that we've been without Edler, Tanev and Hansen for long stretches and now we're without Gudbranson.

I think we're still a long shot to make the playoffs but I love the battle that this team shows. 

We need to draft a couple more scoring forwards but with the likes of Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko and our next 1st round pick, we have a pretty good wave of players still to come. Add that our young D core that will most definitely get much better, I'd say things are looking pretty damn good.

Oh...and happy new years!

Cheers

Our position in general isn't enviable, but if you take a more in depth look at the team, it's really not all bad, especially if you do have an eye towards the future.

Markstrom has been pretty great. It's very much so looking like he might be able to take the reigns as our #1 next season.

Horvat is taking the next step. He's establishing himself as a legitimate top 6 forward, and has probably been our best player thus far.

Bear Cheese is continuing to prove himself as well. The consistency is gradually becoming more and more apparent, and if he can continue to improve on it, he'll be a legit top 6 forward sooner rather than later.

Stetcher is proving that he's indeed ready for the big time. His transition from college has been pretty smooth, and I look forward to seeing how far he can take his game.

Granlund has been a nice surprise. I wasn't trilled about the Shinkaruk deal when it happened, but at this point, I'd make that deal again in a heartbeat.

So yeah, while there are obviously a lot of disappointments as well, many of the guys we need to step up going forward are doing so.

The future looks bright:lol:. If we are trying to make the playoffs, we have two very winnable games coming up against the Avs and Coyotes. Let's keep this win streak going, cause I'm loving it. Horvat line is stepping up big time. Go Canucks Go!

56 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hate ta say I told'ja so, but I posted this title/thread about a month back.

Picked them to finish in the #14 spot(prediction thread) OA, so it's not overly surprising.

The media were talking out their ***es.

You did and i remember. 

This team is far better than the 'experts' made them out to be. i think most of us knew that.  A lot had to go right to make the playoffs and a lot has gone wrong but there are some very good things going on: 

• Bo has taken another huge step forward.
  • Stecher's overall play is better than anyone thought it would be.
  • Tryamkin - the guy is a beast and still adapting.  Get him a proper fitness program next off season!
  • Sbisa has stepped it up.
  • Granlund continues to grow as a player; same with Baer of late.
  • Markstrom is showing he can have huge games. 
  • The call ups from Uttica actually are a solid 4th line a lot of the time. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf is happy the team has won three in a row.  I guess this is the half full part.  We have Bo.  Love Bo.  

Happy New Year Alfie. 

No there's much more than just Bo going on. The younger guys on our team are learning what it takes to win, and they're actually within an outside shot at a wildcard. 

If they didn't have that goal, I don't believe that Bo, Markstrom, Stecher, Tryamkin, Baer or Granny work anywhere near as hard and progress as much. And now there's a good culture for Boeser and Juolevi to come to, not a team that knows they're tanking from day 1. Thats why I back Linden and Bennings no tank philosophy, it has the potential to build a very tough team to play against. 

If players like Bo or Marky knew management was in 'tank mode' they might just phone games in, and then what? Sure we'd get a higher draft pick (but no guarantee how high anymore) but then what? Hey Patrick welcome to a crappy non-competitive team like the Coilers had for a decade? No thanks. 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Happy New Year Alfie. 

No there's much more than just Bo going on. The younger guys on our team are learning what it takes to win, and they're actually within an outside shot at a wildcard. 

If they didn't have that goal, I don't believe that Bo, Markstrom, Stecher, Tryamkin, Baer or Granny work anywhere near as hard and progress as much. And now there's a good culture for Boeser and Juolevi to come to, not a team that knows they're tanking from day 1. Thats why I back Linden and Bennings no tank philosophy, it has the potential to build a very tough team to play against. 

If players like Bo or Marky knew management was in 'tank mode' they might just phone games in, and then what? Sure we'd get a higher draft pick (but no guarantee how high anymore) but then what? Hey Patrick welcome to a crappy non-competitive team like the Coilers had for a decade? No thanks. 

+1 for trying....

Agreed, the culture they were trying to keep is rubbing off on the younger players.  

Don't forget, the improved face off win percentages, the chances they are generating on the power play ( ok, the conversion needs to get better but they are going the right direction ), improved center ice play. It might not be the dramatic change, but they are improving! Last night was the first game I've seen them play a complete 60 ( plus the 5 min OT ) minute high pace, hard fought, high compete game from everyone.

1 hour ago, NuckleheadFan said:

Don't forget, the improved face off win percentages, the chances they are generating on the power play ( ok, the conversion needs to get better but they are going the right direction ), improved center ice play. It might not be the dramatic change, but they are improving! Last night was the first game I've seen them play a complete 60 ( plus the 5 min OT ) minute high pace, hard fought, high compete game from everyone.

I agree, that was as close to 60 minutes as we've seen all year. There was a point in the 3rd period where we had Edm hemmed in their own zone and I remember thinking WTF is going on?? How many times have we seen that happen to us? It was a thing of beauty. Now if only WD can get the boys to work that hard night in, night out. 

Our PP is god awful though. It's like they have no confidence. I think we need players on the PP that can skate and are threats to shoot. Too often the Sedins are just standing still waiting for a passing option. Either that or they just pass down low and then rotate positions. We need guys that get the PKers moving. I would like to try the Sedins on the 2nd unit PK. Maybe do something like this for our 1st unit:

Sutter-Bo-Burr

Stetcher-Baer 

Then once Hansen is back I want him getting PP time

6 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Happy New Year Alfie. 

+1

The people that want to the team to tank haven't played high level sports. 

Archived