The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The glass is half full

VIC_CITY

3 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

hey, leadership starts with a vision. Doesn't mean you always get there but lets just say I'm glad we're not Buffalo. 

Buffalo??? The team with more man games lost then any other? Look at what injuries did to the blue jackets last year. This team that's on a 15 game winning streak right now is essentially the same as last year and they had a 9 game losing streak then.

Buffalo though....they have a very decent future.

would kill to have an eichel, Reinhart or ristolainen. Hell even ROR or OKPOSO.

they played three quarts of the year with no eichel evander Kane Tyler ennis and half their d.

there goalies have great numbers but their coach is garbage imo

we have a whopping 3 more points then them....

8 hours ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

Inevitably disappoint every fan who thinks there are 2 options. 

1)cup

2)tank. 

I'll admit it would be an impressive feat if this team could make the playoffs. I'm not convinced yet that will happen but whatever.

Being as though the Canucks haven't had a very good record in the playoffs since 2011...

- 2012 - Gone in 5

- 2013 - Gone in 4

- 2014 - Out of playoffs

- 2015 - Gone in 6

- 2016 - Out of playoffs

- 2017 - TBD

Would it really be more satisfying if they squeezed in this year and more than likely get a result similar to those past years, or they flame out, trade some vets, get a good draft position, and build up their stable of prospects?

I hate it when the Canucks get slapped around in the playoffs so I'd rather they get built up first to give themselves a better chance later. This of course is up to the players, if they catch fire and get into the playoffs then good for them. Long term however that's probably not the best thing for this franchise.

15 hours ago, hearditall said:

+1

The people that want to the team to tank haven't played high level sports. 

Good call, that idiot Brandan Shanahan tanked with the Leafs Laffs.  He's probably not played ANY sports.  How did that tanking clown Lou Lamoriello even get a job with the Leafs?  He probably doesn't even watch high level sports. 

The issue with the Canucks now is the forward group.

Who is here in:

Two Years time: Ericksson, Hansen, Horvat, Sutter, Gaunce, Baer, Granlund

Five Years time: Erickson, Hansen, Horvat, Sutter, Gaunce

* Perhaps Baer or Granlund surprise and stick, at Year 5 Eriksson, Hansen are on the bubble.

My point being is the group is not solid and has little depth. The positive is that there is lots of room for prospect opportunity. If Benning can do the same thing with the forward group as he has with the d-core he will be GM of the Year at some point.  

36 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

I'll admit it would be an impressive feat if this team could make the playoffs. I'm not convinced yet that will happen but whatever.

Being as though the Canucks haven't had a very good record in the playoffs since 2011...

- 2012 - Gone in 5

- 2013 - Gone in 4

- 2014 - Out of playoffs

- 2015 - Gone in 6

- 2016 - Out of playoffs

- 2017 - TBD

Would it really be more satisfying if they squeezed in this year and more than likely get a result similar to those past years, or they flame out, trade some vets, get a good draft position, and build up their stable of prospects?

I hate it when the Canucks get slapped around in the playoffs so I'd rather they get built up first to give themselves a better chance later. This of course is up to the players, if they catch fire and get into the playoffs then good for them. Long term however that's probably not the best thing for this franchise.

We have all had a really good look at the team and the coaches (except Rodin). 

We have all (CDC) had an opportunity to say what we think should happen. 

Regaurdless of what i think Linden , Benning and Aqualini keep talking playoffs. 

Personally i would trade edler. I would do my best to trade miller at the deadline and i would look at offers for hansen. 

That being said if your in a playoff spot come trade deadline how do you just toss the towel? You cant. 

There is an organic factor to sports, sometimes an injury allows an unknown to step in, a young goalie gets hot and an odd trio strikes gold. 

That being said some people believe in commiting to failure. Others (Linden) believe in commiting to winning. 

Im so sick of watching a team turn up half the time and play one or two periods while getting runover. Theres been times where they were waiting for someone to step up or waiting for a trade. 

Personally, its only been a recent development but, i like the physical element, the battles on the wall and in the corners. The effort to get the puck out (puck support) and the fire. The guys are pissed after a goal instead of hanging their heads. 

Weve got youth, weve got passion and were starting to get results. 

Ive said different in the past but unless you have no hope in hell to compete, you do not tank in my opinion. 

Everyone needs a carrot to chase. 

What other teams do, wont neccesarily work for us, we are not in the same situatuon. 

If we dont ever win a cup i can stay in the game if the team plays with heart. 

Thats how i live my life.

44 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Good call, that idiot Brandan Shanahan tanked with the Leafs Laffs.  He's probably not played ANY sports.  How did that tanking clown Lou Lamoriello even get a job with the Leafs?  He probably doesn't even watch high level sports. 

I don't know who this idiot Brandan Shanahan is but you are probably correct that he has not played any sports. I do remember a Brendan Shanahan though that played in the NHL. Guy was tough as nails. Would have punched out any teammate that intentionally lost a game. Hate to think what he would have done to a teammate that intentionally lost as many games as possible for an entire season.

Players do not tank, management are the only ones that can orchestrate a tank. I can understand teams selling off at the trade deadline if they are not in the playoff hunt but management that tanks from game one are doing a disservice to the game of hockey. You cannot have integrity in any sport where teams are intentionally trying to lose before a season even starts.

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't know who this idiot Brandon Shanahan is but you are probably correct that he has not played any sports. I do remember a Brendan Shanahan though that played in the NHL. Guy was tough as nails. Would have punched out any teammate that intentionally lost a game. Hate to think what he would have done to a teammate that intentionally lost as many games as possible for an entire season.

Players do not tank, management are the only ones that can orchestrate a tank. I can understand teams selling off at the trade deadline if they are not in the playoff hunt but management that tanks from game one are doing a disservice to the game of hockey. You cannot have integrity in any sport where teams are intentionally trying to lose before a season even starts.

Agreed that players don't tank.  Unless you're a special talent, you don't make the NHL if you're not super competitive.  Also if you don't bust your ass off, there's always someone in the minors that will. 

Also agreed that tanking is bad for the game, but teams care about winning the cup, not what's good for the game.  Playing the trap is bad for the game, no coach cares. 

That said.  I don't know who the hell you think you are to question Shanahan's and Lamoriello's integrity, because they tanked from day 1.  Babcock knew a tank was coming, a tank in the form of selling off assets so they could get as many draft picks as they did over the last two seasons.

Babcock talking about winning a Cup and the process of rebuilding:

"I didn't come here just to make the playoffs."  "Pain is coming."

11 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Buffalo??? The team with more man games lost then any other? Look at what injuries did to the blue jackets last year. This team that's on a 15 game winning streak right now is essentially the same as last year and they had a 9 game losing streak then.

Buffalo though....they have a very decent future.

would kill to have an eichel, Reinhart or ristolainen. Hell even ROR or OKPOSO.

they played three quarts of the year with no eichel evander Kane Tyler ennis and half their d.

there goalies have great numbers but their coach is garbage imo

we have a whopping 3 more points then them....

Yes Buffalo. That goofball GM has taken that team nowhere. 

Eichel? You mean the one currently having locker room freak outs because his team sucks so bad and has no chemistry?

Its OK tho, they just need to keep tanking right? That fixes everything, guaranteed. :lol: 

59 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Agreed that players don't tank.  Unless you're a special talent, you don't make the NHL if you're not super competitive.  Also if you don't bust your ass off, there's always someone in the minors that will. 

Also agreed that tanking is bad for the game, but teams care about winning the cup, not what's good for the game.  Playing the trap is bad for the game, no coach cares. 

That said.  I don't know who the hell you think you are to question Shanahan's and Lamoriello's integrity, because they tanked from day 1.  Babcock knew a tank was coming, a tank in the form of selling off assets so they could get as many draft picks as they did over the last two seasons.

Teams, maybe not all, care about winning the cup and what is good for the game. That is why they have committees consisting of owners, GM's and player reps to make changes for the betterment of the game. Playing the trap is bad for the game but again it is not true to say no coach cares. Our very own Pat Quinn spoke out against the trap when he coached here and stated his team would not play that style. The below is a quote from Bill Watters at Pat's funeral referring to his disdain for the trap and responsibility for preserving the beauty of the game.

Watters said Quinn would not bend to popular traps and defensive schemes during those winning Toronto seasons.

"I think I'll remember him as a guy who did it his way," Watters said. "Pat would always say the beauty of this game should not be obstructed by a trap or left-wing lock … that we would not resort to any chicanery or trickery, that this is a beautiful game and as a coach, I have a responsibility to keep it beautiful. And he would call it a beautiful game a lot. I think if I was to put one phrase on him, I would say: 'The proponent of hockey the beautiful way.'"

I personally don't see intentionally losing games as good for the game but to each their own I guess.

1 hour ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

We have all had a really good look at the team and the coaches (except Rodin). 

We have all (CDC) had an opportunity to say what we think should happen. 

Regaurdless of what i think Linden , Benning and Aqualini keep talking playoffs. 

Personally i would trade edler. I would do my best to trade miller at the deadline and i would look at offers for hansen. 

That being said if your in a playoff spot come trade deadline how do you just toss the towel? You cant. 

There is an organic factor to sports, sometimes an injury allows an unknown to step in, a young goalie gets hot and an odd trio strikes gold. 

That being said some people believe in commiting to failure. Others (Linden) believe in commiting to winning. 

Im so sick of watching a team turn up half the time and play one or two periods while getting runover. Theres been times where they were waiting for someone to step up or waiting for a trade. 

Personally, its only been a recent development but, i like the physical element, the battles on the wall and in the corners. The effort to get the puck out (puck support) and the fire. The guys are pissed after a goal instead of hanging their heads. 

Weve got youth, weve got passion and were starting to get results. 

Ive said different in the past but unless you have no hope in hell to compete, you do not tank in my opinion. 

Everyone needs a carrot to chase. 

What other teams do, wont neccesarily work for us, we are not in the same situatuon. 

If we dont ever win a cup i can stay in the game if the team plays with heart. 

Thats how i live my life.

Well like I said, if this group of players can drive the bus into the playoffs then that's great I guess. This team though is still an unfinished product in my opinion and if they have to empty the gas tank just to get to the starting line, they'll be out of the race before they know it and not get much of a consolation prize to show for it. I dont think they're ready because they simply do not have the parts to actually compete yet and they've shown that time and time again going back 5 and a half years.

I'm a Canucks fan, a "draftist" or "tanker", whatever. I actually feel a bit dirty saying this but by the deadline I hope the Canucks have played hard and entertained the fans, but I also hope we're well out of it.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

This part right here. Babcock's got it right.

4 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

Well like I said, if this group of players can drive the bus into the playoffs then that's great I guess. This team though is still an unfinished product in my opinion and if they have to empty the gas tank just to get to the starting line, they'll be out of the race before they know it and not get much of a consolation prize to show for it. I dont think they're ready because they simply do not have the parts to actually compete yet and they've shown that time and time again going back 5 and a half years.

I'm a Canucks fan, a "draftist" or "tanker", whatever. I actually feel a bit dirty saying this but by the deadline I hope the Canucks have played hard and entertained the fans, but I also hope we're well out of it.

I think the team would be better off for guys like Bo, Tryamkin, Stecher and Marky to get more (or any in NTs care)  playoff experience than to pick 6th instead of 16th in this years draft. Drafting is great, but there's no substitute for playoff experience either. 

15 hours ago, Freeridebc said:

This mentality needs to be more present! 

Totally agree. So many up sides! 

I hope Tryamkin get's a Bo-like summer with his skating (him even 50 percent more mobile than he is now would be scary) 

The top rated College Forward is likely to be on our roster next year. 

A higher 1st round draft pick this year should yield some Top end offense. 

A few decent trades at deadline and we add another first round pick or top prospect to our pool, has us looking pretty good for 18/19. 19/20. 

I was just thinking that...player development needs to keep a short leash on Tryamkin for him to develop over the off season.

He needs support...foreign language, different culture, along way from home, him being a young player...surround him with player development and some home cooking (ok not too much home cooking).

12 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The next 4 games are really important, we play the two worst teams in the league and then back to back with the flames.  It's strange to say that before the 41 game mark but it can be the momentum we need to push us into a playoff run, or it could be the reality of season.  After all we have 38 games in and we are still sitting 24th overall. We have a long ways to go but with they way Bo is running and how good of goaltending we are getting, it's definitely possible.

This needs to be emphasised...so important these next 4 games.

What a bunch of crap about the Leafs rebuild!

They creamed all over themselves last year trying to pry Stamkos out of Tampa, They even got the Mayor involved!

They wanted to win now, They didn't get him, so they moved on to plan "B"

Babcock clearly went to the Leafs for the money, Lou was out of a job. The basis of their rebuild is The Leafs SUCK, It's in their DNA

The Leafs always have a good first half of the season, and they always miss the playoffs with pitiful 2nd halves.

Hopefully another poster can help me out on this one, but I'm very curious where the Canucks would be in the standings if this was last year at this time or the year before. Just interested to see what the points in the standings at this time were last year and the year before, just seems to me teams this year aren't dominating as much as past years. 

I'm happy where the Canucks are and maybe a little surprised tbh, the fact that their only 3 points out of a wild card spot is impressive. My gut feeling is though last year if this was their record I don't think they would be only 3 points out of the wild card spot. I'm thinking it would be more, but I really don't know this is why I'm asking for some help from others if they can find that info out.

I really love the team's fighting spirit. If you tell me that we are within 3 points of a playoff spot, I'd be shocked. But when the team plays with heart and effort for a full 60, they deserve to be where they are. Bo has taken the next step in his game and looks to be headed to stardom. Stecher, Tram look to be headed towards the same direction. Baer and Granny have been contributing well to the team, with Baer probably having the biggest impact so far in the 1st half of the season after getting scratched that one game. Marky and Miller have been spectacular so far and probably deserve credit for how well the team is doing. I haven't even mentioned how well the Sedins, Sutter, Eriksson, the 4th line checkers have been doing. Overall, it's been a great season so far and this is what you want from the team if you want your future young players to succeed in a winning culture. Here's hoping they keep it going.

4 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Toronto is a one off... 

The team has been awful forever & had some awful contracts. Toronto had no choice because they spent to the MAX for many years & couldn't barely compete for a playoff spot never mind contender. The Canucks were 1 game away from the CUP 5 years ago, when was Toronto ever in that position in the past 20+ years??? Toronto Maple Laffs had no choice.

The Canucks have been a superior team to Toronto over the past 20+ years.  

Archived