The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The glass is half full

VIC_CITY

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I think the team would be better off for guys like Bo, Tryamkin, Stecher and Marky to get more (or any in NTs care)  playoff experience than to pick 6th instead of 16th in this years draft. Drafting is great, but there's no substitute for playoff experience either. 

I'm sure the Penguins, Kings & Blackhawks would still all have multiple cups if they got playoff experience instead of drafting Kane, Toews, Doughty, Crosby and Malkin near the top of the draft.  :rolleyes:

Man if we only got Artem Chubarov and Bryan Allen more playoff experience instead of doing badly and drafting the Sedins I'm sure we'd have a cup by now.

This team is being built from the net out.  Markstrom is read imho.  Demko will be in 1 more year. Trade Miller at the deadline for something.  Pick up a decent backup for next year and Demko takes over the following year.

I think Sbisa is a legit top 4 dman at this point and is only 26 and will get a bit better.  Our Defense is solid for years to come. (Depending on the Expansion Draft)  Stecher is an absolute gem who I think will have a Brian Rafalski-type career.  The Oilers wish they got him instead of Caggiula.  Tryamkin sometimes looks like a newborn deer with his long legs, but overall is further ahead than anybody would have expected when he came over last year.  This is the perfect situation for Juolevi, Brisebois and Subban.  Gives us all kinds of trading options going forward.  

Depth on Defence

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Stecher

Tryamkin Larsen

Biega Subban

Juolevi Brisebois

Trade Edler at the deadline, somebody would love to add him for a run and we could get some strong picks/prospects for him.

Trade Larsen for a 5th to get back what we gave for him.  He can play in the nhl, but our depth is too much for him.

Bo has taken over as the team leader.  Henrik scored 42 pts in his 4th season when he was 23.  Bo is on pace for 54 pts in his 3rd season and is 22.  Someone tell me why we still say he is not a 1st line centre of the future?  

Granlund has been very good for a 3rd line guy.  He reminds me of Hansen a bit.  A utility guy you can rely on but with a little less speed but better hands.  I don't miss Shinkaruk.

Baertschi is grittier than I thought.  He seems to be willing to got to the dirty areas and there is no denying his skill.  I don't miss the 2nd round pick.

Sutter is as advertised.  Good solid defense.  Good solid offense.  2nd line centreman.  Was a great addition to allow Bo to take some steps.  Don't miss Bonino.

Eriksson is not scoring enough.  He is a good 2 way player.  He contributes in other ways.  He needs to produce more.  I still like him more than Ladd, Lucic, Backes for his all around game.  The only guy who might have fit better would be Okposo, but he didn't seem to have any interest.

Virtanen is finally getting what he needed.  Time.  He will be a good 2nd line right winger behind Boeser in the future.  Not a bad combo.

Boeser will be awesome.

Hansen is awesome, does everything.  Do not trade him unless the deal is too good to pass on.  You will not replace what he brings for 3 mil per season.  He has not declined either.

Skille, Chaput, Megna have been decent fillers and have generally done what is needed.  If anybody wants them at the deadline, get what you can.

Gaunce is a solid 3rd, 4th liner who is only growing into the job.  If he is needed as a piece in a deal, maybe, but he is a good one to keep around.

Rodin is a wildcard.  I think he will be a great addition if he is given some freedom to create and not put on the 4th line to "earn his minutes".

At the beginning of the season, the Sedins said that someone needs to push them to become the offensive leaders of the team.  That is what they want.  Just like they did to the west coast express.  Bo and sometimes Baertschi seem to have slowly come around to the fact that they might be those guys.  They are playing more and more like offensive leaders every game.  I think the future looks pretty good for this team.  We have some trading chips and some young players who are looking up.  I would say that our biggest need is more speed.  We have skill, but our skill doesn't come with enough speed.  If we can make a few moves to address that, we will really have something.

9 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

What a load of tosh....

Maple Leafs have six players among the top 19 rookie scorers, and the Canucks don’t have any... Do they had out cups for that?

So sick of this talk about lets suck for high draft picks... Its cheating the fans.... lets all encourage losing.

Middle finger to that

11 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Tank or not to tank, it's not really a question.  The Canucks aren't tanking.  You don't sign Eriksson, keep your vets and trade all your 2nd round picks... then tank. 

But he ends it with a good question.  "Perhaps more to the point, can the Canucks trust their fans to support the type of rebuild the Leafs have undertaken? If they don’t go that route, are fans even more likely to stop caring?" 

Die hard fans care no matter what, but the vast majority of ticket buyers are "casual" fans.  Would they show up to watch a terrible team while a "proper" rebuild happens?  Probably only if we draft a star that people want to watch.  Would they show up to watch an ok team, even one that has no shot at winning the cup?  Yeah they would, which is probably why Aquaman is for a retool over a rebuild. 

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

I'm sure the Penguins, Kings & Blackhawks would still all have multiple cups if they got playoff experience instead of drafting Kane, Toews, Doughty, Crosby and Malkin near the top of the draft.  :rolleyes:

Man if we only got Artem Chubarov and Bryan Allen more playoff experience instead of doing badly and drafting the Sedins I'm sure we'd have a cup by now.

ha ha ha... ummm, no. If you don't think those two 1st round exits for LA helped build the cup team you're wrong. 

And are you really comparing Bo and Stecher to Chubie and Allen? If so that says a lot about how you view this team. 

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

It's only been 2.5 seasons for JB and we definitely are organically rebuilding, if not tanking, anyways. 

Edler is the old man of the defense at 30, with Tanev, Sbisa and Gudbranson at 27, 26 and 25.  Hutton, Stetcher and Tryamkin are 23, 22 and 22.  That's not including ace-in-the-hole 18 year old Juolevi or some of the other prospects.

Up front is more thin but Horvat and Baertschi at 21 and 24 are in the process of assuming the scoring mantle from the Sedins.  Sutter is only 27 and Granlund is a young 23 making up 2/3 of another line. Rodin at 25 along with Boeser (19) and Virtanen (20) are possible weapons at wing. 

If we, realistically (and organically) get another 2 seasons of top-10 drafting high-skill talent we should have some great firepower up front and a balanced and gritty core to add them to.  All before Sutter and Tanev are 30.

In any case, I'd much rather add a top-3 talent to the blue-collar foundation Jim and Trevor are building than to have them come strutting in as the savior of a scorched-earth tank job.

Yeah... Totally.  What rebuilding team wants great rookies? 

kg5af.jpg

Yeah you're smart... lets suck for 5-10 years and then maybe, just maybe we will be great again. Come back when laughs wins anything. Muppet.

image.jpeg.926f304ebccd81ed0748d558fa044d98.jpeg

Yeah... Totally.  What rebuilding team wants great rookies? 

kg5af.jpg

I spent several minutes tracking down the downvote I made earlier today just to I could undo it and downvote you.

Your post sucks.  Your attitude sucks. Get a hobby and leave us out of your misery.

1 hour ago, SamJamIam said:

I spent several minutes tracking down the downvote I made earlier today just to I could undo it and downvote you.

Your post sucks.  Your attitude sucks. Get a hobby and leave us out of your misery.

Trolling is his hobby. If you and the other posters who keep going for his bait stop quoting him, maybe he'll go away and find a new one.

2 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

You defend the guy that mocks the Leafs for having 6 top scoring rookies.  But I'm the troll?  This is a fan forum, go find a cheerleading forum and spare us from your stupidity.

3 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

You defend the guy that mocks the Leafs for having 6 top scoring rookies.  But I'm the troll?  This is a fan forum, go find a cheerleading forum and spare us from your stupidity.

No, he just showed that they still clearly suck despite rookie success. Then you insulted him because you're a petulant child.  Also its the Leafs.  Get a clue as to where you are. Hfboards is thatta way.

9 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

This team is being built from the net out.  Markstrom is read imho.  Demko will be in 1 more year. Trade Miller at the deadline for something.  Pick up a decent backup for next year and Demko takes over the following year.

I think Sbisa is a legit top 4 dman at this point and is only 26 and will get a bit better.  Our Defense is solid for years to come. (Depending on the Expansion Draft)  Stecher is an absolute gem who I think will have a Brian Rafalski-type career.  The Oilers wish they got him instead of Caggiula.  Tryamkin sometimes looks like a newborn deer with his long legs, but overall is further ahead than anybody would have expected when he came over last year.  This is the perfect situation for Juolevi, Brisebois and Subban.  Gives us all kinds of trading options going forward.  

Depth on Defence

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Stecher

Tryamkin Larsen

Biega Subban

Juolevi Brisebois

Trade Edler at the deadline, somebody would love to add him for a run and we could get some strong picks/prospects for him.

Trade Larsen for a 5th to get back what we gave for him.  He can play in the nhl, but our depth is too much for him.

Bo has taken over as the team leader.  Henrik scored 42 pts in his 4th season when he was 23.  Bo is on pace for 54 pts in his 3rd season and is 22.  Someone tell me why we still say he is not a 1st line centre of the future?  

Granlund has been very good for a 3rd line guy.  He reminds me of Hansen a bit.  A utility guy you can rely on but with a little less speed but better hands.  I don't miss Shinkaruk.

Baertschi is grittier than I thought.  He seems to be willing to got to the dirty areas and there is no denying his skill.  I don't miss the 2nd round pick.

Sutter is as advertised.  Good solid defense.  Good solid offense.  2nd line centreman.  Was a great addition to allow Bo to take some steps.  Don't miss Bonino.

Eriksson is not scoring enough.  He is a good 2 way player.  He contributes in other ways.  He needs to produce more.  I still like him more than Ladd, Lucic, Backes for his all around game.  The only guy who might have fit better would be Okposo, but he didn't seem to have any interest.

Virtanen is finally getting what he needed.  Time.  He will be a good 2nd line right winger behind Boeser in the future.  Not a bad combo.

Boeser will be awesome.

Hansen is awesome, does everything.  Do not trade him unless the deal is too good to pass on.  You will not replace what he brings for 3 mil per season.  He has not declined either.

Skille, Chaput, Megna have been decent fillers and have generally done what is needed.  If anybody wants them at the deadline, get what you can.

Gaunce is a solid 3rd, 4th liner who is only growing into the job.  If he is needed as a piece in a deal, maybe, but he is a good one to keep around.

Rodin is a wildcard.  I think he will be a great addition if he is given some freedom to create and not put on the 4th line to "earn his minutes".

At the beginning of the season, the Sedins said that someone needs to push them to become the offensive leaders of the team.  That is what they want.  Just like they did to the west coast express.  Bo and sometimes Baertschi seem to have slowly come around to the fact that they might be those guys.  They are playing more and more like offensive leaders every game.  I think the future looks pretty good for this team.  We have some trading chips and some young players who are looking up.  I would say that our biggest need is more speed.  We have skill, but our skill doesn't come with enough speed.  If we can make a few moves to address that, we will really have something.

I think i agree 100% i really like what you wrote there. I was wondering tonight about Eriksson. He doesnt quite connect passes and i think he is still tentative. 

Thing is about intelligent people, they can over analyse. I think Loui is onoy going to get better, he just needs a sven type benching, or a friend to die (sorry) so he can just play instead of sexond guessing himself. 

3 hours ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

I think i agree 100% i really like what you wrote there. I was wondering tonight about Eriksson. He doesnt quite connect passes and i think he is still tentative. 

Thing is about intelligent people, they can over analyse. I think Loui is onoy going to get better, he just needs a sven type benching, or a friend to die (sorry) so he can just play instead of sexond guessing himself. 

Other than that pass at the end of the game tonight, I think Eriksson played decent. Overall, I think he consistantly plays a solid game for the type of role he's been casted in and to the WD haters, I don't mean that as in he's being miscasted. I think his game suits a checking role. He's the kind of guy that needs to get his hands a little dirty to score. 

Having said that, I wouldn't be opposed to trying Eriksson on the top line 1 more time just because of Hansen's injury. I haven't liked Eriksson on the Sedin's line to date, but I don't know how long we can keep throwing Jayson Megma out there. I actually wouldn't be opposed to trying Jack Skille out there either.

Lastly, Eriksson just hasn't had a lot of puck luck. From game 1 of the season when he scored on his own net, to several goals that he's been in on being disallowed, to tonight when he set up Sutter for what appeared to be a goal but was actually post and out. After all of that, he still has a shot at 20 goals this year.

Speaking of, I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but we have a very real shot at having 6 different 20 goal scorers this year. Not bad for a team that struggles to score. 

15 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

No, he just showed that they still clearly suck despite rookie success. Then you insulted him because you're a petulant child.  Also its the Leafs.  Get a clue as to where you are. Hfboards is thatta way.

Yep, keep arguing that rebuilding teams are in a better position by NOT having good rookies. 

12 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Did anyone else notice Dan Murphy dropping the glass half full reference in the 1st intermission tonight? Coincidence? I think not! :P

I'm convinced Murph comes up with his questions based on board topics. Its way too coincidental.

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yep, keep arguing that rebuilding teams are in a better position by NOT having good rookies. 

Its not the only way to do it. Sure you need some of your own rookies, but there is also free agency and and trades. It doesn't all have to be done via the tank.

Archived