The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The glass is half full

VIC_CITY

7 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Did you not see the stats during the broadcast tonight? The line of Horvat Baer and Burrows are 11th in the NHL in goals per 60 min. Nothing to do with imagination...

At 5v5?  

I am guessing it's simply because they do not get a lot of ice time compared to other key lines in the NHL.  I would be curious to know where they stand in absolute.

Ice time impacts that stat and they are a 3rd line in the minutes they play which then inflates that stat.  

It seems to be the new stat in vogue but it seems pretty flawed.  Baer is top-15 in the league at 5v5 production by that metric and has been leading the team by a pretty wide margin for a while now but he is an 8th or 9th forward on this team.  It doesn't seem to correlate to players value/usage (on this team at least).

10 hours ago, mll said:

At 5v5?  

I am guessing it's simply because they do not get a lot of ice time compared to other key lines in the NHL.  I would be curious to know where they stand in absolute.

Ice time impacts that stat and they are a 3rd line in the minutes they play which then inflates that stat.  

It seems to be the new stat in vogue but it seems pretty flawed.  Baer is top-15 in the league at 5v5 production by that metric and has been leading the team by a pretty wide margin for a while now but he is an 8th or 9th forward on this team.  It doesn't seem to correlate to players value/usage (on this team at least).

Right but that doesn't change the fact that the trio of Horvat, Baer and Stetch are out scoring the Sedins and Edler in much mess ice time, which is what we were originally discussing. 

On 1/1/2017 at 0:03 AM, VIC_CITY said:

For a season with so many down points (seemingly), if you told me at the beggining of the season that we'd be 3 points out of a playoff spot on Dec 31st, I think I'd be pretty happy with that.

This is exactly where our faithful thought we could be - right in the mix for a playoff spot. There's a lot of work left to do, but man does this team ever have heart and things are definitely looking up.

Our goaltending has been phenomenal for the most part. Guys like Stetcher, Tryamkin and Sbisa have been pleasant surprises. Bo and Granlund have taken the next step. Baertschi has really turned it on since being scratched, which looks like WD's best move of the season. Sutter is healthy and contributing. Depth guys like Skille, Chaput and Megna have stepped into the lineup and held their own. Burrows looks like he's 3 or 4 years younger and the Sedins are once again busting their asses and leading this team. 

Our team has also done a complete 180 in the faceoff circle (thank you Manny Malholtra!). 

Sure, Eriksson could have a few more goals and our PP could be a lot better, but there's still a lot to like here. You have to remember that we've been without Edler, Tanev and Hansen for long stretches and now we're without Gudbranson.

I think we're still a long shot to make the playoffs but I love the battle that this team shows. 

We need to draft a couple more scoring forwards but with the likes of Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko and our next 1st round pick, we have a pretty good wave of players still to come. Add that our young D core that will most definitely get much better, I'd say things are looking pretty damn good.

Oh...and happy new years!

Cheers

That is what I have been saying,we need a 1C and LW 1st liner and we are set!only other thing we need to do is keep getting good young talent and our GM and Linden have done exactly what they have said.Benning is a good drafter and we should be keeping him for a couple more years if not longer so we fully turn this team around and contend for a cup!In 3 years we should be easily making the playoffs and to me the best thing we can do is trade the twins to a tram that has a great shot at the cup to show them respect that they have given us.We could get a 1st liner and thats it, or picks and a decent young player.

On 07/01/2017 at 5:09 PM, cripplereh said:

yes they are and why after this season we need a better 1st line if we hope to stay in playoff hunts season after season

I think the natural progression of our youth will more than offset any regression from the Sedins next year.

I would like to see Horvat take over as 1C next year. He will finish amungst the top 30 C's in scoring this year, so an argument can be made that he is ready.

I also believe the Sedins will benefit from not playing against every team's top D pairing/shut down line. 

It will be interesting to see how we approach free agency this offseason. We have some money coming off the books in Burrows and Miller and ownership will likely want to spend it on another 'quick fix'. Hopefully we stay away from anything long term but if we can get someone to play with Baer and Bo, we would have a line up like this:

Baer-Bo-UFA

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Boeser-Sutter-Virtanen

Gaunce-Cassels-Dorsett

Labate

I've left Granlund out as I believe he will either be traded or taken by Vegas. 

Obviously that UFA spot is the big wild card. But if we were able to get someone decent, coupled with the progression of our defense, we will have a better team next year. How much better though remains to be seen. 

Just saw this article from Botch about the Sedins passing the torch to Bo. One thing that stands out is that Bo is 10th in league scoring over the last month. People will argue that he isn't ready for 1C duties, but I'm all for it.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-we-are-witnessing-the-slow-passing-of-the-torch-to-horvat

On 1/7/2017 at 6:18 AM, mll said:

At 5v5?  

Wow, you are really desperate to deny anything good about any Canuck, aren't you? You realize that Bo and Baer are the number 1 and 3 scorers on this team, right? Baer is an 8th or 9th forward on this team? You are not even pretending to be a Canuck fan. Go back under your bridge.

9 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Wow, you are really desperate to deny anything good about any Canuck, aren't you? You realize that Bo and Baer are the number 1 and 3 scorers on this team, right? Baer is an 8th or 9th forward on this team? You are not even pretending to be a Canuck fan. Go back under your bridge.

It's actually a comment simply based on observation.

Baertschi is the 8th forward in total ice time as well as at EV - he would be 9th if Burrows had not started the year on the 4th line.  Over the recent 6-game winning streak, he was playing 11min at EV (9th).  Until recently he was not even a regular on the PP - WD commented that Larsen and Edler were injured and that Granlund had never played that position before so Baer was the best fit.  

There are also discussions that he is the player to be left unprotected for expansion - that would put him as the 8th forward as teams can only protect 7 forwards.  

1 minute ago, canucksnihilist said:

the glass is always half full and half empty.  

always a chance that picks can work out and we can magically get a great cup-contending team.

Chance of picks working out gets better the higher the pick, right?  For us, looking to be a bubble playoff team, what does drafting 10-20 do for our glass? 

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Chance of picks working out gets better the higher the pick, right?  For us, looking to be a bubble playoff team, what does drafting 10-20 do for our glass? 

It depends on how you view this years crop of draft eligible players. From what I hear, there isn't a ton of obvious high end talent. So we could see some teams ranking players a lot higher/lower than others. This bodes well for teams a little higher up in the draft order. 

Honestly though, I'm perfectly content on letting the chips fall where they may. I have faith in JB, regardless of what our draft position is. 

6 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

It depends on how you view this years crop of draft eligible players. From what I hear, there isn't a ton of obvious high end talent. So we could see some teams ranking players a lot higher/lower than others. This bodes well for teams a little higher up in the draft order. 

Honestly though, I'm perfectly content on letting the chips fall where they may. I have faith in JB, regardless of what our draft position is. 

JB got us Boeser at 23.  ::D

Archived