The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Happy new year.....or is it ?

cuporbust

Predictions   

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Happy new year boys and girls. With our three game win streak, we sit three points back of LA for the wildcard spot. 

We have been getting good efforts from the future foundation of the team. My question is this: 

Is this a "new year" starting  for the canucks? Is it possible playoffs are in the cards? Are we a wild card or a set of jokers ? Who are the real canucks ?

Thoughts ? 

The real canucks are a decent team injury problems anda very bright future ahead of them. In my opinion we will not make the playoffs, and that's ok.  I think we will see another major injury to a top player before the years done, and will finish somewhere in the bottom even with solid team play. I would rather see a potential number 1 C drafted then year and miss the playoffs over a first round bounce. 

Prove me wrong boys, win the cup this year. I'm in this for the long hall though. 

I believe we are now beginning to see a WD style team.

For that reason I would hope that the management realise the good choice they have made and give him an extension to where he will have his own band of young players playing in his style. We get glimpses of it but it is still too early to see the complete picture.

We manned up to the Kings and Ducks and skated with the Oilers. Since the Jackets came to town and pressed the S@&t out of our powerplay it is moving the puck quicker and shooting more. Bo has been seeing more quality minutes. Hutton has been bumped back with the return of Tanev and Edler and has been put in a more comfortable  matchup situation. I for one have not had Willys back at all but in the last three games the players seem to. I hope this continues because my wife says I'm really grumpy when the Canucks lose.

6 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i wan 2017 a year without willie in my face

Agree

yesterday was s classsic example. Our idiot coach does not say a word when we get shafted on the goal callback and McClennan has a conference with the ref before the third. No shocker the Oilers get that phantom call at the end. That's what a smart coach does.

with the win on line the  idiot puts out Sbisa who looked away when McDavid walked right past him. It's a minute and change, we needed our best pairing out to save the game. Don't get me wrong, I can live with Sbisa but not in that game situation. 

Poor in game coaching 

55 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I believe we are now beginning to see a WD style team.

For that reason I would hope that the management realise the good choice they have made and give him an extension to where he will have his own band of young players playing in his style. We get glimpses of it but it is still too early to see the complete picture.

You are completely delusional ..... And Willie's mom

The season is far from over as we approach the halfway mark.  December was a different month for the Canucks ... We actually played well enough to close the gap on our losing streak and ended the year on a modest streak beating some very good teams this month and more importantly interdivisional rivals.  Stetcher has proved himself worthy in this league so far and could be this year's Hutton.  Horvat line is playing like an excellent second line and both goalies are playing well.  Our home record is among the best in the conference....This team actually has a chance at least a wild card spot if this trajectory stays the course.  Problem is I hope management isn't fooled again and doesn't make some moves that the should make even if we are in the playoff picture for picks and or prospects just to make a run for it if we are close at the deadline.  Burrows is playing himself into a second round pick...So is Miller if a contender needs to shore up...expansion adds to the mix making rentals even more appealing.  Hope we both make the playoffs and prove expert s wrong..And would be fine if we fall flat and end up with a score of draft picks 

.. Anywhere in between will be disappointing.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

The season is far from over as we approach the halfway mark.  December was a different month for the Canucks ... We actually played well enough to close the gap on our losing streak and ended the year on a modest streak beating some very good teams this month and more importantly interdivisional rivals.  Stetcher has proved himself worthy in this league so far and could be this year's Hutton.  Horvat line is playing like an excellent second line and both goalies are playing well.  Our home record is among the best in the conference....This team actually has a chance at least a wild card spot if this trajectory stays the course.  Problem is I hope management isn't fooled again and doesn't make some moves for picks and or prospects just to make a run for it if we are close at the deadline.  Burrows is playing himself into a second round pick...So is Miller if a contender needs to shore up...expansion adds to the mix making rentals even more appealing.  Hope we both make the playoffs and prove expert s wrong..And would be fine if we fall flat and end up with a score of draft picks 

.. Anywhere in between will be disappointing.

I like the wins but the most exciting thing for me in the last 3 games, especially last night was watching the total team effort and the fact we kept up with the media darlings with all the speed and talent in the world. Give me that kind of effort the rest of the year and hopefully a top 5 draft pick and I'll be a happy camper. Really don't think we are good enough yet to make the playoffs but I love the positive experience this is giving our young players. 

I figure we will see an improved team over the 2nd half of the season. The defence (health provided) will settle in and become a strength; Tryamkin and Stetcher especially improving. I would like to see Markstrom become the #1, playing, say, 25 of the remaining 44 games. The Horvat line will become the #1 line at even strength, and hopefully the coaching staff gives them more power play time.

However, I don't think we will make the playoffs. I'm figuring a record something like 35-40-7 for 77 points will be about where we end up. The Twins are just not able to keep up when playing 20+ minutes per game; they need to be 3rd line EV with power play time. Also, our 4th line really is still an AHL line rather than a true NHL 4th line. I just don't see that Gaunce is NHL material; Megan and Chaput are close, but still not quite there. If the Sutter/Eriksson/Granlund line catches fire, maybe a better than .500 record, but still no playoffs.

The rebuild is starting to show some results. We are still very thin, with really no true potential players in Utica, except Virtanen. Our best potential right now is in college (Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood) or in the juniors.

2 more years to playoffs, 4-5 until we are, maybe, good enough and deep enough to challenge for Cups.

Yes, a good New Year...but with lower expectations.

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

I like the wins but the most exciting thing for me in the last 3 games, especially last night was watching the total team effort and the fact we kept up with the media darlings with all the speed and talent in the world. Give me that kind of effort the rest of the year and hopefully a top 5 draft pick and I'll be a happy camper. Really don't think we are good enough yet to make the playoffs but I love the positive experience this is giving our young players. 

You bet.  Winning is good for confidence they are proving to themselves that they can do it.

1.) I believe this team can make the playoffs, but in that eventuality I do not have a lot of confidence that they will go far. This brings forward the question, is making the playoffs the best thing for this team? The answer is, no... and yes. In any case I do support the team at least trying to make the playoffs rather than doing some sort of despicable tank.

2.) WD gets at least a one year extension, possibly two to three. 

3.) A big trade could happen, but will it be to bring in or to send out is the question. If the Canucks do make the playoffs then I do not see them making any significant trades. If the team doesn't make the playoffs then a trade is more likely (eg. Burrows).

regards,  G.

We aren't a playoff team this year. We closed a gap but there is so much parity in this league now that we are close to the wildcard spot but just as close to the bottom of the league. If the team is near a wildcard spot and management makes a move to get into the playoffs by not making trades for picks and moving vets like Burrows or Miller and bring in rentals then this team is doomed until a change up top comes.

Best things to see for me would be play hard and tough each night. Give the kids some more minutes and let them be invovled in key situations more. If at the trade deadline players can be moved for picks do it. If Miller, Burrows, Sbisa can get us some decent to good returns then take it. If there are moves to be made that give us picks and let us stock pile for the future then that's a better idea than making a run for a wildcard spot.

Wille can stay until the end of the season and see what happens. He gets out coached frequently and that's my biggest issue with him. He doesn't have the best players so can't fault him there but the getting out coached is an issue.

Archived