The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016s Final Victim Leaves an Omen?

nucklehead

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/31/mash-dead-dies-william-christopher/

A friend of mine hypostasized that 2016 was the year of the rapture with god taking all the good ones first. So on the last day it looks like it took everyone's favorite priest, Father Mulcahy, to cap things off.

William Christopher was part of one of the most spectacular ensembles ever on TV ... a cast which included Alan Alda, Jamie Farr, Mike Farrell, Loretta Swit and Harry Morgan.

Christopher, who played a Catholic priest but was actually Methodist in real life, auditioned for the role but went off script with a rambling ad lib.  Producers loved it and hired him on one condition ... that he stay on script for the series. He also had roles on "Gomer Pyle," "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Hogan's Heroes."

Christopher died at his Pasadena home from non-lung, small cell carcinoma.  He leaves behind a wife and 2 kids. 

That being the case those that are left are the rejects and hopeless sinners, damned for all time. :( 

5 hours ago, nucklehead said:

A friend of mine hypostasized that 2016 was the year of the rapture with god taking all the good ones first. So on the last day it looks like it took everyone's favorite priest, Father Mulcahy, to cap things off.

That being the case those that are left are the rejects and hopeless sinners, damned for all time. :( 

Considering that A lot of these fantastic chosen people died this year from drug overdoses and suicides, among others, I wouldn't worry about being the leftover.  

Why do do we care so much about celebrities?  

Them dying is really one of the most unimportant things that can happen in our lives.  

Did Price's death really ruin anyone's day?

Is anyone truly hurt and missing Robin Williams right now?

Does anyone actually give a pooh that Princess Leia and her Mom are gone?

150k people die everyday. That's almost 55 million people a year.  

With those kind of numbers,why do we give a $&!# that Anna Nichole Smith took too many pills?  

Someone much more important was lost that same day. 

I don't really have a point I guess. 

I just keep seeing people bitch about 2016 being such a bad year because of all the celebrities dying off.  

Personally, I think that is silly. 

13 hours ago, nucklehead said:

I missed it? Is there a rapture do-over? A holy mulligan? 

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Considering that A lot of these fantastic chosen people died this year from drug overdoses and suicides, among others, I wouldn't worry about being the leftover.  

Why do do we care so much about celebrities?  

Them dying is really one of the most unimportant things that can happen in our lives.  

Did Price's death really ruin anyone's day?

Is anyone truly hurt and missing Robin Williams right now?

Does anyone actually give a pooh that Princess Leia and her Mom are gone?

150k people die everyday. That's almost 55 million people a year.  

With those kind of numbers,why do we give a $&!# that Anna Nichole Smith took too many pills?  

Someone much more important was lost that same day. 

I don't really have a point I guess. 

I just keep seeing people bitch about 2016 being such a bad year because of all the celebrities dying off.  

Personally, I think that is silly.

I still miss Robin Williams.  He was one of a kind.

People celebrity watch, it's entertaining.  Some celebrity deaths are sadder than others.  2016 just happened to be a b*tch for celebrities in particular.

38 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I still miss Robin Williams.  He was one of a kind.

People celebrity watch, it's entertaining.  Some celebrity deaths are sadder than others.  2016 just happened to be a b*tch for celebrities in particular.

I understand what happened this year.  

I just don't see why anyone cares.   

We don't know these people.  

They don't really matter.  It's not like you lost a family member or close friend.  

30x the celebrities could have died this year, and it still truly wouldn't make a difference. 

One dies, another one steps in.  They are like gold fish.   

People like to look at them, but you can flush them down the toilet and replace them. 

18 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

They don't really matter.  It's not like you lost a family member or close friend.  

30x the celebrities could have died this year, and it still truly wouldn't make a difference. 

People like to look at them, but you can flush them down the toilet and replace them. 

Well first of all, up yours. I lost my mom in 2016 and never got a chance to say goodbye. So feel free to sit on a gaff.

Secondly, as many of the celebrities we lost produced work that meant a lot to people, who are you to say their deaths don't matter? 

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Well first of all, up yours. I lost my mom in 2016 and never got a chance to say goodbye. So feel free to sit on a gaff.

Secondly, as many of the celebrities we lost produced work that meant a lot to people, who are you to say their deaths don't matter? 

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. 

This isn't about family loss tho.  

I mentioned it's not like losing a family member.   

Obviously family or friend loss matters, is sad and hurts.  

Im questioning the validity of people truly being crushed by the loss of random celebrities that they don't know.  

4 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Im questioning the validity of people truly being crushed by the loss of random celebrities that they don't know.  

I don't really get it either. People camping outside Prince's house, dying their hair purple. Why? It really sucked when Gandolfini died, especially since I had finished the whole series of the Sopranos months prior, but I didn't park myself outside his residence or put on 80lbs to show my support. I got over it after about a day. Such is life. 

50 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Kinda cold attitude. Interesting.  Granted none of them are finding cures for cancer or ending social ills worldwide.  Yes they were just entertainers for public consumption.  No different than a professional athlete in any sport.  However family and friends become involved so respect is a nice touch.  When it comes to your/mine dirt nap like everybody who has ever lived on this planet only a few notice or care.

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

“Who can call a man dead whose words still hush and whose sentiments move?” 
- Clive Barker, Weaveworld

Sympathies on the loss of your mother as well.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Some people identify in different ways. We don't have to question here which one is right.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Thank you.

I hear what you're saying but think of it this way, many of the celebrities that died were artists who produced work designed to elicit an emotional response from the people consuming it. It's natural that people would have feelings about a person who made them feel. 

18 minutes ago, luckylager said:

2015 was a particularly crappy year for me on a personal level.

I could really give a flying f**k about celebrity.

2016 was interesting because I was able to identify which of my colleagues were sheep and roped into the whole tabloid life, like they have some personal connection to the departed celebs that they had no real connection to.

If you're going to cry and be sad because a person who played a person you thought you identified with died, you have a problem. 

Reality and fantasy should be held in different arena's. Boohoo, go f**k yourself.

Yeah, because only sheep would think "Man, it really sucks that someone as young and talented as Anton Yelchin died in a freak accident due to a faulty parking break". 

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Such is a perk of being a celebrity or professional athlete, I guess. Suddenly everyone cares if something bad happens more than they otherwise would or probably should. Craig Anderson's wife developed cancer. She isn't even dead, and people poured their guts out for the guy. 

Probably because those people have some basic level of empathy and can recognize that cancer sucks all around for those that have it and their families. Or they're just caught up in celebrity culture, WTF do I know?

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

2015 was a particularly crappy year for me on a personal level.

I could really give a flying f**k about celebrity.

2016 was interesting because I was able to identify which of my colleagues were sheep and roped into the whole tabloid life, like they have some personal connection to the departed celebs that they had no real connection to.

If you're going to cry and be sad because a person who played a person you thought you identified with died, you have a problem. 

Reality and fantasy should be held in different arena's. Boohoo, go f**k yourself.

...says the guy who closely follows a professional sports team.

Everybody needs a hobby. Sports is ours, show biz is theirs. Is TMZ fundamentally that different from TSN? Were you sad when Howe passed on? (I don't mean distraught about it or anything. maybe just a little reflective?)

Archived