The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Burrows Scratched (Literally)

Adarsh Sant

Alex Burrows will not play in tonight's (Jan 2) game against the Colorado Avalanche because......he has a scratch in his eye (as per Canucks Twitter account)?  I've seen some peculiar injuries in my time following the NHL but a scratch in someone's eye? Never. Also, wouldn't the scratch be on his eye? I imagine that a scratch in an eye is much worse than on an eye.  Anyhow, Rodin will slide into the lineup.  Thoughts? Line combos?

5 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Why is it so hard to believe? Yes, your actual eye can be scratched. It's happened to me before. It sucks, but with proper treatment you can recover quickly from it. 

Not hard to believe. Just very rare.

I've scratched my eye before and it feels like you have something in it and it won't go away. The doctor gave me drops that numbed the eye so I couldn't feel it any more but I had to wear a patch for 24 hour, not a big deal injury wise but does affect vision for a day or two.

An older hockey player, I believe Gordie Howe, had a scratch on his right eye that needed three stitches for. It's rare, but it still happens.

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

I've scratched my eye before and it feels like you have something in it and it won't go away. The doctor gave me drops that numbed the eye so I couldn't feel it any more but I had to wear a patch for 24 hour, not a big deal injury wise but does affect vision for a day or two.

You got an eye patch!? I'm jealous. All I got were the drops.

1 minute ago, Stamkos said:

An older hockey player, I believe Gordie Howe, had a scratch on his right eye that needed three stitches for. It's rare, but it still happens.

I believe they mean he scratched his eyeball, they don't stitch that.

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

You got an eye patch!? I'm jealous. All I got were the drops.

I never wore it, if fact I did it at work and we were driving to Vegas that night so I took it off to drive. I was more or less fine but could notice a slight difference in vision, enough that at an NHL level I would be handicapped and probably better to rest it anyways for him, were not making the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I believe they mean he scratched his eyeball, they don't stitch that.

Better hope you don't get a pterygium in your eye then. I have a pterygium in one eye that they want to perform surgery on and part of the surgery includes:

A common surgery uses your tissue from your conjunctiva or a placenta to fill the empty space after the lesion is gone. The growth is removed and the filler is glued or stitched onto the affected area.

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Alex Burrows will not play in tonight's (Jan 2) game against the Colorado Avalanche because......he has a scratch in his eye (as per Canucks Twitter account)?  I've seen some peculiar injuries in my time following the NHL but a scratch in someone's eye? Never. Also, wouldn't the scratch be on his eye? I imagine that a scratch in an eye is much worse than on an eye.  Anyhow, Rodin will slide into the lineup.  Thoughts? Line combos?

A scratch in the eye makes the eye water all the time and the eyelids constantly blink.

Extremely uncomfortable.

Archived