The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PHONEAGE] Phone Gurus Help Me Buy a Phone to Phone other Phones

Angry Goose

I don't know jack-ola about phones.  I rarely use it except to text the misses and some friends/family.  I talk on the phone 10mins (if that) max per week.  I'd like to get something with a nice camera though to take photos.  Not interested in data plans or using data at all.  Just want to text mostly and take photos.  Should I go for a prepaid phone, or buy something else and do whatever I need to do to get pre paid mins for it?  Or a cheap plan that suits my needs?  My current plan through Fido is fairly cheap- sub $40 I think, but if there are better options I'm interested.  FYI I've never unlocked a phone either and have an old Blackberry so that pretty gives you an idea of who you are dealing with lol.

Much thanks for all the heckles and help in advance :)

32 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I don't know jack-ola about phones.  I rarely use it except to text the misses and some friends/family.  I talk on the phone 10mins (if that) max per week.  I'd like to get something with a nice camera though to take photos.  Not interested in data plans or using data at all.  Just want to text mostly and take photos.  Should I go for a prepaid phone, or buy something else and do whatever I need to do to get pre paid mins for it?  Or a cheap plan that suits my needs?  My current plan through Fido is fairly cheap- sub $40 I think, but if there are better options I'm interested.  FYI I've never unlocked a phone either and have an old Blackberry so that pretty gives you an idea of who you are dealing with lol.

Speakout Wireless maybe for a prepaid option? Pay $100 for air time right right now, get a $25 bonus free. $10 a month for unlimited texting. I believe it uses the Rogers cell network?

Probably the cheapest option. At least that I can think of off the top of my head.

10 minutes ago, Templeton Peck said:

Speakout Wireless maybe for a prepaid option? Pay $100 for air time right right now, get a $25 bonus free. $10 a month for unlimited texting. I believe it uses the Rogers cell network?

Probably the cheapest option. At least that I can think of off the top of my head.

I'll look into it ty. 

2 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

In terms of an actual phone ... get an unlocked simple one.  

For your level of usage, I recommend a Nexus 4 or 5, clean unlocked to any network ... get them on CL for $100

The Speakout at 7-11 is one of the best options.  

ok great, something specific to look at.  It looks like the camera is decent on it which is my main goal in buying a new phone.  

What are people's thoughts on i phones?  The misses always takes these great photos on her old i phone.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Just make sure your on the Bell network if you ever leave town for anything. IE Bell Telus Kodo etc. A super sweet phone does absolutely no good if you have no service. 

Good to know.  Also I rarely travel lol

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

I'd go Poloroid, in order to keep up everything needs to be instant these days.

True.  The hipsters will dig my style too

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

What are people's thoughts on i phones?  The misses always takes these great photos on her old i phone.

They require itunes on your computer which is basically a virus.  The newest ones are also missing essential connectivity ports such as the headphone jack.  I don't recommend them at all.

2 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Just go into any Rogers store or online, what you're looking for is a basic phone and a $25/mo 100 min talk and unlimited text plan. Thats about as cheap as it gets. You should be able to get the phone for free on a 2 year contract. Just did this for our daughter. 

The local Rogers tech nerd should also be able to help you unlock your blackberry. Keep that for texting, the old keyboards are great. But if you're really wanting to take pics too and are willing to give up the blackberry keyboard then you should be able to find an Android phone with a decent camera that you can just buy outright for well under $200. 

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/basic-phone-plans

Check out Koodo prepaid.

Buy a cheap phone then get the basic plan for only $15 per month.  This gets you unlimited texting and picture messaging.

If you ever want some talk or data, you can add talk minutes or data by just adding a booster. Nice thing is the boosters don't expire and will carry over monthly until they're used.

3 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Check out Koodo prepaid.

Buy a cheap phone then get the basic plan for only $15 per month.  This gets you unlimited texting and picture messaging.

If you ever want some talk or data, you can add talk minutes or data by just adding a booster. Nice thing is the boosters don't expire and will carry over monthly until they're used.

I was just going to recommend Koodo, especially since you don't need a contract. For what OP needs the phone for, he should be able to easily find one for under $100 somewhere online or from a second-hand store.

I pay ~$54 per month (that's with taxes included) with 5GB of data (don't use anywhere close to that due to wifi). It would be quite a bit cheaper with minimal data (think 500MB). 

Archived