The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

His statement is a little convoluted, but I think he's right. If Cormier was a Canucks' prospect I don't think anyone here would say it was dirty. We've had some of the dirtiest players in the NHL on our team in years past but Canucks' fans loved them (Bertuzzi, Cooke, Ruutu, Burrows).

Anyway, I thought it was a cheapshot. But what was up with Team Sweden not shaking hands and then skipping the post-game ceremony? lol. I thought Swedes were more sportsmanlike than Canadians? guess not.

Um...no

A elbow to to the head is an elbow to the head. An elbow to the head that isn't even part of the play is even worse.

This was an exhibition warm-up game and Canadian players are pulling that kind of crap? I don't blame the Swedes for not shaking hands. It's not surprising though, I've seen other tune-up games of the sort and the Canadian players are always over-zealous and pulling stuff like it's the Gold Medal game. It's one of the more embarrassing aspects of Canadian hockey hubris.

Um...no

A elbow to to the head is an elbow to the head. An elbow to the head that isn't even part of the play is even worse.

This was an exhibition warm-up game and Canadian players are pulling that kind of crap? I don't blame the Swedes for not shaking hands. It's not surprising though, I've seen other tune-up games of the sort and the Canadian players are always over-zealous and pulling stuff like it's the Gold Medal game. It's one of the more embarrassing aspects of Canadian hockey hubris.

good for you Gnickers. Did you also think Matt Cooke was a dirty player?

I agree, I'm a Canadian hockey fan through and through, but I can understand if, and why, other international teams think we're a dirty team.

But once the game's over it's time to forget whatever happened during the game (That is a truly Canadian part of the game).

Edited by RBork77

His statement is a little convoluted, but I think he's right. If Cormier was a Canucks' prospect I don't think anyone here would say it was dirty. We've had some of the dirtiest players in the NHL on our team in years past but Canucks' fans loved them (Bertuzzi, Cooke, Ruutu, Burrows).

Anyway, I thought it was a cheapshot. But what was up with Team Sweden not shaking hands and then skipping the post-game ceremony? lol. I thought Swedes were more sportsmanlike than Canadians? guess not.

Hate to break it to you, but in case you haven't noticed, Canucks fans are idiots. Bertuzzi wasn't necessarily a dirty player, he just had one extremely dirty play. No one in their right mind would support what he did. Burrows isn't a dirty player, end of story. Sure, he agitates, but he doesn't play any dirtier than the average energy player. Ruutu and Cooke (especially Cooke), I had no place for. I could not stand that little weasel. I couldn't have been happier when they shipped him off.

If he was a Canucks prospect, I would still think the hit is dirty and I would be ashamed to have him as a prospect. He is not a guy you want on your team. Elbowing an opponent in a friendly is disgraceful.

• Upvote 3

good for you Gnickers. Did you also think Matt Cooke was a dirty player?

I agree, I'm a Canadian hockey fan through and through, but I can understand if, and why, other international teams think we're a dirty team.

But once the game's over it's time to forget whatever happened during the game (That is a truly Canadian part of the game).

You're an idiot. Once the game is over... it's time to forget whatever happened during the game?

That is a truly Canadian part of the game?

So we should forget the Bertuzzi hit? Sigh..

Hate to break it to you, but in case you haven't noticed, Canucks fans are idiots. Bertuzzi wasn't necessarily a dirty player, he just had one extremely dirty play. No one in their right mind would support what he did. Burrows isn't a dirty player, end of story. Sure, he agitates, but he doesn't play any dirtier than the average energy player. Ruutu and Cooke (especially Cooke), I had no place for. I could not stand that little weasel. I couldn't have been happier when they shipped him off.

If he was a Canucks prospect, I would still think the hit is dirty and I would be ashamed to have him as a prospect. He is not a guy you want on your team. Elbowing an opponent in a friendly is disgraceful.

laugh.gif I'm not gonna lie to ya, I have noticed.

I guess you're right about Bertuzzi and Burrows. I just can't stand either of those guys other than that they play for my hometown team.

I'm very happy we stayed away from Kyle Beach, because that kid is a disgrace.

You're an idiot. Once the game is over... it's time to forget whatever happened during the game?

That is a truly Canadian part of the game?

So we should forget the Bertuzzi hit? Sigh..

I'm an idiot? If Bertuzzi did that to me, I'd still shake hands after the game (oh, wait, Steve Moore was in the hospital).

Yea, I believe in leaving it on the ice, as most sane people do. Of course there's payback during the next game, but I'll still shake hands.

I'm an idiot? If Bertuzzi did that to me, I'd still shake hands after the game (oh, wait, Steve Moore was in the hospital).

Yea, I believe in leaving it on the ice, as most sane people do. Of course there's payback during the next game, but I'll still shake hands.

COME ON! If some guy broke my neck i wouldn't be happy until he got what was coming to him! and still i wouldn't shake his hand.

None of this would happen if Cody Hodgson wasn't hurt and was captain! he wouldn't let Cormier get away with that dirty of a play.

COME ON! If some guy broke my neck i wouldn't be happy until he got what was coming to him! and still i wouldn't shake his hand.

None of this would happen if Cody Hodgson wasn't hurt and was captain! he wouldn't let Cormier get away with that dirty of a play.

sure, so we're using the most extreme example of criminal assault and injury during a hockey game. This how poilticians try to make their point, they take the most heartbreaking and extreme scenarios one could imagine and try to convince the mass populace that it will likely happen to them.

When I played hockey, I left EVERYTHING that ever happened to me on the ice, I had beers with guys I fought and shook hands with guys that elbowed me in the face.

It was a dirty elbow and a classless move by Team Sweden to go off the ice without shaking hands. End of story.

sure, so we're using the most extreme example of criminal assault and injury during a hockey game. This how poilticians try to make their point, they take the most heartbreaking and extreme scenarios one could imagine and try to convince the mass populace that it will likely happen to them.

When I played hockey, I left EVERYTHING that ever happened to me on the ice, I had beers with guys I fought and shook hands with guys that elbowed me in the face.

It was a dirty elbow and a classless move by Team Sweden to go off the ice without shaking hands. End of story.

Im not defending Sweden's action I was just commenting on the guys post. However If i were Sweden I would be pissed that a guy would throw a dirty elbow in a game that Canada is already winning in a PRE tourny game. Plus you may be able to leave things on the ice but not all people can do that.

Im not defending Sweden's action I was just commenting on the guys post. However If i were Sweden I would be pissed that a guy would throw a dirty elbow in a game that Canada is already winning in a PRE tourny game. Plus you may be able to leave things on the ice but not all people can do that.

yea, I'd be pissed. I didn't see the game, but if I was Sweden's coach I'd sent someone to give Cormier a message. I'd still shake hands though. It's not like the entire team was playing dirty, every team has a few donkeys.

• Upvote 1

brodeur never shook avery's hand. why respect someone who doesn't respect you or the game? if i were to think dirty, useless, cheapshot elbows are part of the game then i suppose i could leave it on the ice, but i can't say i do. if it were a close game, perhaps, but it definitely isn't how i would want to win. and i mean, it is hard for a swedish side to handshake (what is supposed to be an action of mutual respect) when the canadian team clearly indicates a lack thereof. granted it is just one incident and one player, but i am far more dissappointed with the canadian team than with the swedish team. intent to injure is either disrespect for the game and your opponent or admission of defeat.

brodeur never shook avery's hand. why respect someone who doesn't respect you or the game? if i were to think dirty, useless, cheapshot elbows are part of the game then i suppose i could leave it on the ice, but i can't say i do. if it were a close game, perhaps, but it definitely isn't how i would want to win. and i mean, it is hard for a swedish side to handshake (what is supposed to be an action of mutual respect) when the canadian team clearly indicates a lack thereof. granted it is just one incident and one player, but i am far more dissappointed with the canadian team than with the swedish team. intent to injure is either disrespect for the game and your opponent or admission of defeat.

So what. Brodeur shook everyone else's hand. Sweden's entire team left without shaking hands. that's pathetic!

So what. Brodeur shook everyone else's hand. Sweden's entire team left without shaking hands. that's pathetic!

What is really pathetic is Cormier is the Captain of the Canadian Team and the Captain is to show an example of Good Sportsmanship that is why he was selected as Captain of the team. The selection process for captain never centers around being a Goon and only Goons pull this kind of crap and I do not need idiots like that representing my Country.

Cormier deserves to be suspended, and i hope they review and suspend him for the entire tourny. That being said, Sweden should have shook hands, it's good sportsmanship and I've shaken hands at the end of a game with people who have hit me from behind, cross checked me in the face, and sticked me in the cup. You have to show that you're the bigger man in the end.

Ok...

It was a damn dirty elbow.

Plain and simple.

I don't care who did it, or who received it, or which league it's in, or how meaningful that game is.

It was a damn dirty elbow.

I think that not shaking hands is less of a disgrace than an elbow like that.

I hope he is suspended, and I hope that is the end of it.

Hockey is a physical game, and Rodin is a big boy, and he will get over it.

There is no need to sensationalize it, but it needs to be addressed.

No one would get away with that in the NHL, and I hope Cormier pays the price.

Not getting to captain team Canada in the WJC would be a pretty good way to learn not to be a jackass.

• Upvote 1

yes, i agree that they should have shaken hands. it is just a similar incident in principle, and i see avery much less for his actions than i see brodeur for his. it is easier for me to side with sweden on this one than with canada. though it wasn't canada's whole team necessarily, he is the captain of the home team in the home country. and good on sweden('s coach) for not retaliating; i'm sure the players wanted to. might not have been cormier who got bit back.

all in all, hopefully this is just setting up a great gold medal game.

What is really pathetic is Cormier is the Captain of the Canadian Team and the Captain is to show an example of Good Sportsmanship that is why he was selected as Captain of the team. The selection process for captain never centers around being a Goon and only Goons pull this kind of crap and I do not need idiots like that representing my Country.

I agree. I don't know anything about Cormier beyond this, but this was a moronic and dirty thing to do. I agree with a previous poster, suspend him for the whole Tourney.

And the coach of Sweden is an unsportsmanlike ingenue for making his team skp the handshake and ceremony.

I agree. I don't know anything about Cormier beyond this, but this was a moronic and dirty thing to do. I agree with a previous poster, suspend him for the whole Tourney.

And the coach of Sweden is an unsportsmanlike ingenue for making his team skp the handshake and ceremony.

"It's an elbow to the head. Get over it."

It's a handshake. Get over it.

• Upvote 2