The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

is rodin going to be attending main camp with shroeds and coho?

He's on loan to Brynas of the SEL this season, so no. He went through their camp and preseason, and his regular season has just started. He'll likely get a look next year.

Brynäs lost 5-4 after overtime vs HV71. Rödin was playing on the 4th line with Järnkrok and Wännström but he played both PK and PP, again. He got a 2nd assist on a goal by Järnkrok. His icetime was 14:39 minutes and his line, the youth line, looked really good, again.

How competitive is Brynas this year? Are they looking to go deep into the playoffs?

Also, are most of Rodin's minutes on the PP and PK? He seems to get a lot of time for a fourth liner, it makes me wonder why it is considered the "fourth line"... which line from the opponents team are they usually matched against?

How competitive is Brynas this year? Are they looking to go deep into the playoffs?

Also, are most of Rodin's minutes on the PP and PK? He seems to get a lot of time for a fourth liner, it makes me wonder why it is considered the "fourth line"... which line from the opponents team are they usually matched against?

Well, Brynäs goal for the season is to at least make it to the semi finals. I doubt they will make it since they have lost both Markström and Läck. But they have a big trust on youngsters like Rödin, Järnkrok, Silfverberg and Bertilsson, so we'll see.

No, he was just playing PK twice I think this game and Brynäs only had one PP so he got almost all his minutes 5 on 5. He would have gotten more ice time this game if Brynäs had more PP.

About Rödin playing on the 4th line, don't worry about it. It's not like in the NHL, where the 4th line is a bit more defensive (I think?) and have less talented players. It's not working the same way in Sweden, at least not in Brynäs. The 4th line in Brynäs are playing to score goals.

They're not matched against a special line from the opponents really, but they're mostly playing against the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Since Rödin's line is very offensive, young and have pretty small players it's better to play them against 2nd, 3rd and 4th rather than the opponents 1st line, because they're more experienced and stronger.It's not like Rödin's line is a risk, but they don't have their strength in the D-zone, so it's better to let them play in the offensive zone against the other lines ;)

Great discussion guys and gals.

I am thouroughly intrigued by Anton Rödin and have been in discussion with a colleague of mine that runs a very in depth website in Sweden called EliteProspects.com. He was high on Rödin after the 2010 WJC, as you can see on the link provided below.

I do regular interviews with him and have had occasion to ask him about some of the top Swedish youngsters, as I also contribute a lot of material for the Canucks branch of ProSportsBlogging.com - I was pleased to hear him give great info on Rödin. If you are interested in hearing his thoughts about Brynas and Rödin, head to the direct link of my website ChillerInstinct.com:

http://www.chillerinstinct.com/interviews/view.php?ARTICLE_ID=6B1762DE-B49D-473B-9640-E6784A988F62

I am sure you will see that there are many interviews aside from this one and much more to take in, hockey enthusiasts.

Robin Keith Thompson

Good info. I too was a bit concerned they were playing him on the 4th line. That said he is getting quality minutes. I'm really hoping he uses the year wisely to fill out his frame a bit.

I'm pretty sure he could bench press you. When we had the prospects camp this summer, wasn't he one of the strongest? Him, Schroeder, and Oreskovich is just insane.

Rodin with an assist today in Brynas's first win of the season. He assisted on opening PP goal, and I see he played on the 2nd line today with Calle Järnkrok, and Jakob Silfverberg.

That's 2 assists in 3 games so far this season.

Edited by avelanch

So what is it so far? 2 assists in 4 games? If his ice time continues to be this low, we might end the loan.

3 games, and how exactly is 1/4th of the game low ice time? that's more than he got last season until he was sent down to their junior club. it sounds like they are rolling the lines pretty evenly right now. I doubt missing those 2-3 extra min per game will adversely affect Rodin's development. it's not like he's getting a 4th liner's min of 5 something per game.

Edited by avelanch

So what is it so far? 2 assists in 4 games? If his ice time continues to be this low, we might end the loan.

He's 19 and playing in SEL. 15 min/game is not low at all. Last year he played like 8 min/game during regular season. He's on 2nd PP unit now. The first two games he also played PK. When Brynäs have the lead, like the two last games, they want to play more defensive and experienced players.

If Brynäs should have been down by a goal the whole game, I can promise you an offensive guy like Rödin would play much more.

Anyway, Rödin definitely looks stronger this year compared to last.

Brynäs lost against Frölunda with 4-3 after shootout. Rödin had no points but he played both PK and PP again and he looked good. And once again he was on the 2nd line with Järnkrok and Silfverberg. He was on the ice at Brynäs last two goals, scored by Silfverberg and Järnkrok. His ice time was 19:05 minutes.

Edited by johanlake

Johan,

Would you say Rodin is the 3rd wheel on that line, or is he the one that makes it go?

In my head i have it 1. Jarnkrok, 2. Rodin, and 3. Silfverberg, is that accurate.

Since it seems you watch him play, can you make any comparisons to an NHL player? perhaps for all 3.

Cheers

Järnkrok is definitely the best of them. Last year I would've put both Järnkrok and Silfverberg before Rödin, but now I think Rödin is better than Silfverberg. Silfverberg is bigger and more mature, but Rödin with his speed and technique is really fun to watch.

Rödin is the one who has developed the most of the three since last year.

My rank is the same as yours but mine would look like this:

Järnkrok

Rödin

Silfverberg

It's pretty hard to compare them to NHL players, since I just follow a few NHL teams. But Järnkrok has some similarities to Bäckström, great hockey sense and split vision, he's smaller but quicker. He's not afraid to get into traffic, and there's no problem about his size, at least not in SEL. He's also good defensively, so maybe something between Bäckström and Zetterberg.

Rödin is very good offensively, but not so good in the D-zone, good he's getting time on PK so he can work on that. He's often a good back checker though. Very good on the forecheck. Uses his speed very good to drive to the net to shoot or to make i pass into the slot. His playing style should work good, or maybe even better on smaller ice surface, at least in WJC he played really good.

It's hard to say but maybe he's a but like Loui Eriksson?

Silfverberg don't stand out as much as the other two but he's good at everything, good offensively and defensively. Good size, strong along the boards, smart, good skating and a very good shot. And as I mentioned earlier, he's very mature, he doesn't look like a youngster on the ice. This is also hard but I think he looks a bit like Mikael Samuelsson, but less physical.

And yes, I see Brynäs every game ;)

Järnkrok is definitely the best of them. Last year I would've put both Järnkrok and Silfverberg before Rödin, but now I think Rödin is better than Silfverberg. Silfverberg is bigger and more mature, but Rödin with his speed and technique is really fun to watch.

Rödin is the one who has developed the most of the three since last year.

My rank is the same as yours but mine would look like this:

Järnkrok

Rödin

Silfverberg

It's pretty hard to compare them to NHL players, since I just follow a few NHL teams. But Järnkrok has some similarities to Bäckström, great hockey sense and split vision, he's smaller but quicker. He's not afraid to get into traffic, and there's no problem about his size, at least not in SEL. He's also good defensively, so maybe something between Bäckström and Zetterberg.

Rödin is very good offensively, but not so good in the D-zone, good he's getting time on PK so he can work on that. He's often a good back checker though. Very good on the forecheck. Uses his speed very good to drive to the net to shoot or to make i pass into the slot. His playing style should work good, or maybe even better on smaller ice surface, at least in WJC he played really good.

It's hard to say but maybe he's a but like Loui Eriksson?

Silfverberg don't stand out as much as the other two but he's good at everything, good offensively and defensively. Good size, strong along the boards, smart, good skating and a very good shot. And as I mentioned earlier, he's very mature, he doesn't look like a youngster on the ice. This is also hard but I think he looks a bit like Mikael Samuelsson, but less physical.

And yes, I see Brynäs every game ;)

Wow, great analysis.

Why does every team in this league let Detroit draft these potential Swedish superstars... every single draft.

Edited by Abaddon