The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

Hey Johan, what do you think of Rodin's potential in the NHL?

Hard to say of course, a lot can happen to a young player. He sure can skate very fast, and has a good shot too, so he should have more goals than just 1 this season.

He is a good offensive player, who can be productive. The good thing about Rödin is if he won't become a 1st/2nd liner, he can be used on a checking line with his good speed, good forecheck and his workh ethics.

And hopefully his game will work good or even better in NA, on the smaller ice. Just look at the WJC, he was used on the 3rd line and still managed to get 10 points in 6 games on the small ice surface.

Edited by johanlake

<br />Hard to say of course, a lot can happen to a young player. He sure can  skate very fast, and has a good shot too, so he should have more goals  than just 1 this season.<br />He is a good offensive player, who can be productive. The good thing about Rödin is if he won't become a 1st/2nd liner, he can be used on a checking line with his good speed, good forecheck and his workh ethics.<br />And hopefully his game will work good or even better in NA, on the smaller ice. Just look at the WJC, he was used on the 3rd line and still managed to get 10 points in 6 games on the small ice surface.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks for this. Nothing better than a good scouting report.

Rodin sounds like a Jannik Hansen to me, Jannik was scouted to have good offensive instints but also had good two way awareness, based on Rodin's type of game ability to create offensive chances but also play a high tempo energetic type roll, he looks like a future Jannik Hansen to me unless we decide to really push him to become a top six forward.

Unfortunately for him, we have a ton of prospects just like him already.

Probably too soft to be an effective bottom-6 guy.

Probably not skilled enough to be an effective top-6 guy.

The Canucks have a knack for seeking these guys out.

I'm no expert but from the little I've seen and what i've heard I bet he could fit into a 3rd line role. Versteeg type guy. He's got enough work ethic and speed to be defensively responsible enough to fit into a 3rd line role if paired with the right guys....As long as he gets big enough. I have faith just from seeing the difference in his body from last year to this. He now has the frame to be close to 200 eventually. 4 solid years away I bet though.

Depending on who you talk to within the canucks' organization, they'll probably tell you that in terms of skill set, rodin is our most talented prospect. And when he was drafted, and still now, they say that he plays with such tanacity along the boards that he could easily be a grinder or checker. I think he has huge potential to thrive in both the offensive and defensive aspects of the game, but that patience will be key. I think a full year on the moose next year acclimatizing to the

north american ice will do him wonders.

Imo I think that at the least, he'll be like a samuelsson type player, in that he can be easily thrown into any situation and thrive, and isn't really stuck in either a top 6 or bottom 6 mold. If he does turn out to be the european sniper that he COULD be, then I guess that works too.

If Rodin doesn't develop into a Top 6 player, it won't be for a lack of skill.