The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Renting in the Burnaby/South Vancouver area

NucksPatsFan

Was wondering if any experienced people could give me advice on moving out to the Burnaby/North Burnaby/South Vancouver area to rent. 

I don't want to buy, as I've always planned on buying in the Langley/Walnut Grove area, but in the short term, it would be more convenient to rent in the area described.

The only real important thing to me is that the location is near the Highway 1 on ramps. I can't be having a 15 minute drive just to get to the highway. Doesn't necessarily have to be North Burnaby either the BCIT area or Grandview area would work too. I just don't know the city very well.

Essentially being on my own would be most ideal, but I know finding a 1 bedroom for 1200 or less is probably next to impossible? Maybe not? I'm not opposed to having a roommate either for a nice 2 bedroom at under a grand each. 

I did do a quick search on Craigslist and there's really not a whole lot on there right now in regards to renting an apartment or a nice basement suite in Burnaby, it's a lot of renting of private rooms in houses or a top/bottom floor of a house. 

Thanks for any help!

Edit: Not looking to move immediately, aiming for late March early April.

On 1/3/2017 at 11:00 AM, HerrDrFunk said:

I have a two bedroom two blocks south of Lougheed Center (five minutes away from the Gaglardi onramp) and I pay $1200 a month. Admittedly that one was a very lucky find but if you're working with a $1200 budget for a one bedroom, you'll be fine. 

2 bedroom for 1200? How? Is it 'older' looking or relatively modern? (the inside, don't care about the outside of the building)

12 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

2 bedroom for 1200? How? Is it 'older' looking or relatively modern? (the inside, don't care about the outside of the building)

The building is from the late 70s/early 80s and the interior of the apartment itself was renovated in the last 10 years. So it's all pretty modern. 

I wouldn't advise looking for a place in South Vancouver as anywhere in that area is at least a 10-15 min drive towards Hwy 1 depending on traffic. I live in the area and it's pretty much a 10-15 min drive so I wouldn't advise looking for somewhere there. It's a relatively safe/quiet area yes but it is quite a stretch to get to places without a car 

Archived