The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Waivers) Blues' Ty Rattie and Devils' Reid Boucher

Pears

"At this moment, the Canucks have 45 contracts on the books for this season, and Rattie is a pending RFA that is making $650,000. If the Canucks were to claim Rattie, they would be responsible for a $350,278 cap hit for the remainder of the season. They have enough room to take on that salary, and would have the roster space available by placing forward Jannik Hansen on IR. (Derek Dorsett, Erik Gudbranson, and Philip Larsen are currently on IR)."

"Right now - the Canucks are currently 6th in waiver priority(due to point percentage). Colorado, Arizona (who has 50 contracts), Buffalo, Winnipeg and New Jersey, would have to pass on the young winger for the Canucks to have a chance at adding him."

"Rattie is 23 years old, cost controlled, contract controlled and has produced at every level when given a chance. For the Canucks, a team who has admitted to wanting to compete for the playoffs every year while keeping an eye on the future, adding Rattie seems like a no brainer."

http://canucksarmy.com/2017/1/3/canucks-should-claim-ty-rattie

ARZ just claimed Burmistrov so if I am not mistaken they go to the end of the line in picking now.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

I suppose I'd say to @oldnewswhat good is that if he's invisible on the score sheet and isn't living up to his 1st round draft hopes?

And I'd just repost the obvious - that a rookie playing the kind of minutes he is - with 23.1% offensive zone starts (and great possession numbers) - isn't judged on productionalone, particularly when he's also been playing with the NHL's youngest blueline for long stretches.  You don't judge players with this kind of deployment (ie did you judge Malhotra on production) on the "score sheet."  If he is sent down it's simply because the team doesn't want to lose any assets to waivers and is dealing with a handful of lost forwards. "invisible" is a compliment for a player in that role - and tbh, if you haven't noticed him, that may just be your own perception - and what you look for.

18 hours ago, oldnews said:

Scoring goals isn't necessarily the role or expectation of Gaunce (or Chaput) at this point though.

Would be nice, but at the same time, a rookie with the lowest ozone starts and one of the best shot attempt differentials - suggest that the fourth line is doing their job - limiting chances/goals against, generating territory and whenever possible, spending time in the attacking zone. 

It's a pretty good ground for a future shutdown or middle six two way forward imo. 

On 2017-01-03 at 11:20 AM, billabong said:

I think it's an obvious claim, but Megna and chaput are loved by the coaching staff and benning so they'll pass

who else has gone 3 straight games with the sedin twins and pp time without getting a point? Only one man has gotten that kinda love....linden vey  

Very nice point 

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

And I'd just repost the obvious - that a rookie playing the kind of minutes he is - with 23.1% offensive zone starts (and great possession numbers) - isn't judged on productionalone, particularly when he's also been playing with the NHL's youngest blueline for long stretches.  You don't judge players with this kind of deployment (ie did you judge Malhotra on production) on the "score sheet."  If he is sent down it's simply because the team doesn't want to lose any assets to waivers and is dealing with a handful of lost forwards. "invisible" is a compliment for a player in that role - and tbh, if you haven't noticed him, that may just be your own perception - and what you look for.

Fair enough... but why the low o-zone stats? Have they given up on him as a scorer? 

I suppose I was filtering my view of him for more offence, given where he was drafted. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Fair enough... but why the low o-zone stats? Have they given up on him as a scorer? 

I suppose I was filtering my view of him for more offence, given where he was drafted. 

No - low ozone starts don't indicate "giving up" on a player.

Actually, for a young player / rookie - the fact he is not sheltered at all - is a compliment and shows that they trust him in harder minutes than rookies typically play.

I think it indicates what I said before - that they're cutting his teeth for a middle six shutdown / hard minutes / two way role - and in the shorter term, I doubt they care much about "the scoresheet."  That can't be expected in context.  It is what it is - not what it's not.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No - low ozone starts don't indicate "giving up" on a player.

Actually, for a young player / rookie - the fact he is not sheltered at all - is a compliment and shows that they trust him in harder minutes than rookies typically play.

I think it indicates what I said before - that they're cutting his teeth for a middle six shutdown / hard minutes / two way role - and in the shorter term, I doubt they care much about "the scoresheet."  That can't be expected in context.  It is what it is - not what it's not.

huh. thanks for the view... i will watch him differently now for that. 

Still need more right shooting forwards. 

Look at NHL top scores. Higher % of RW than LW. More unexpected names on that right side too. Suggest more wild card opps. from that side. Yes players can play both wings. But it comes down to shooting angles.  

Canucks right shooting forwards - Sutter, Hansen, Dorsett, Skille, Megna, Virtanen, Grenier.  

41 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Can't believe they didn't put in a claim, sure don't like players with skill on the Canucks do they

Boucher:

62 goal season in the OHL

63 goals in the AHL - in 168 games.

Rattie:

57 goal season in Portland.

69 goals in the AHL - in 196 games

*Boucher:

19 pts in 39 NHL games last year.

4 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Still need more right shooting forwards. 

Look at NHL top scores. Higher % of RW than LW. More unexpected names on that right side too. Suggest more wild card opps. from that side. Yes players can play both wings. But it comes down to shooting angles.  

Canucks right shooting forwards - Sutter, Hansen, Dorsett, Skille, Megna, Virtanen, Grenier.  

There are many on the way in the near future - Brock Boeser, Dmitry Zhukenov, Adam Gaudette, Michael Zalewski, Cole Cassels.

Archived