The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Avalanche (Proposal)

*With  the season over and these two teams needs remaining the same I figure it was time to bump this proposal with a few minor edits.

First Deal

Duchene + 4th round pick + 2018 3rd round pick

to CBJ for Jenner + Murray

Why Av’s do this

Av’s needs to find some LHD help, while Zadorov is developing, their young D depth is really hurting and are said to be on the market for a young future top pairing D.  They have been in on rumours with the Bruins (McAvoy), Hurricanes (slavin) and the Predators (ekholm) but I think the blue jackets make the most sense.     With Jost looking like a future top 6 center Duchene becomes the most expendable piece to be used as a trading asset.  Murray immediately fills the top 4 role LHD and would make a very strong top pairing playing with Barrie.  Jenner is a natural left hand center but has been playing RW this year, so he’s very versatile and adds another young strong piece to the AV’s top 6 (which they desperately need). .

Why CBJ does this

CBJ is in trouble when it comes to expansion draft.  They have too many D to try and protect as well as too many forwards with NMC.  As it stands right now, CBJ will likely lose one of these two in June for nothing anyways.  So it's in there best interest in moving them to get some value back.  Both Murray and Jenner struggled this year despite the team ripping up the league.  Murray has been passed on the depth chart by the very skilled Werenski and is playing on the bottom pairing (5th in D ice time).  Jenner had also struggled this year after having a 49 point season last year, only finishing with 33.   CBJ is likely losing their 2nd round pick this year so the early 4th will help recoupe, while Duchene, the center piece of this trade, brings in more young skill (could fill in as the #1 center) and also allows Dubois more time to develop or go back to the wing. the biggest part is that CBJ gets out of trouble in expansion and retains some value for a player they were about to lose

Second Deal

4th overall

to vegas for the 6th overall, with the condition that Vegas takes Colborne from the AV’s in Expansion Draft

Why Av’s do this

Av's are likely interested in taking a D in this draft,  While they could likely take Heiskanen at #4 (if dallas doesn't) they will also likely still get a really good D a #6 (there's a good possibility Heiskanen will still be their at 6, if not they can take Liljegren).   In order for the Av's to take advantage of a team in expansion they need to protect themselves, they don't want to lose Zardorov, so by moving down in they still can take a D in the draft and at the same time protect their own player. 

Why Vegas do this

Vegas does this to select their future #1 center Vilardi.  He is the type of hard working, offensively gifted #1 center you would want to build a team around, A more offensive Horvat.  He would be great to become the future captain of that new franchise.

They still likely need to sign a few more UFA's but they really fill their main holes.  

Av's 2017-18 line up

Landeskog Mac Rantanen

Soderberg Jost Jenner

Andrighetto Grigorenko Nieto

Greer Compher Comeau

Murray Barrie

Zadorov Johnson

Heiskanen Beauchemin

Varly

I don't see them protecting Hartnell.  He has a NMC but the buyout window opens up before expansion if he refuses to waive.  
Hartnell is playing an average of 12:30 on their 4th line including 1:30 on the PP.  Tortorella wants to play fast fast fast (as he put it) and Hartnell does not have the footspeed.  Iginla same issue. 

26 minutes ago, mll said:

I don't see them protecting Hartnell.  He has a NMC but the buyout window opens up before expansion if he refuses to waive.  
Hartnell is playing an average of 12:30 on their 4th line including 1:30 on the PP.  Tortorella wants to play fast fast fast (as he put it) and Hartnell does not have the footspeed.  Iginla same issue. 

True, In fairness he also has Gagner been on the 4th line who is being solely used as a PP player but Hartnell has been rumoured on being open to waive his NMC so I assume theres a good chance he'd waive it in expansion too.  He is having a decent year and is on pace for over 50 points. 

Come playoff time his becomes a type of player you really want on your roster, It'll be interesting to see how CBJ handles him going forward this year.

ForsbergTheGreat, that was an extremely well written and thought out proposal.  I wish the rest on the board were just like that!

I get your reasoning, as you laid out.  Especially with the expansion draft, there are a lot of legitimate points.

I guess it comes down to a couple major questions.  Do the Jackets see Duchene as a real upgrade on Jenner short and long term?  And, what do they project for Murray in the future?

Honestly I don't think Columbus does this for a few reasons.  First, you wouldn't want to mess with this current chemistry that is working so well.  Second, I think Colorado wins this deal in terms of value.  Jenner and Murray are both good young players.  If they can manage to keep them in the draft, I think they would.  Personally I think Duchene is better than Jenner, but not enough to give up Murray.  Third, Iginla is essentially Hartnell, who they already have.  Veteran, slower, tough, scoring, etc.  I think they would just stay with what they have right now.

With all that said, well done Forsberg

I think that Columbus does this and is laughing.  Duchane is a significant upgrade over Jenner.  Murray has been a massive disappointment in Columbus.  He has never lived up to his billing.  Not sure he has a lot of value.  I feel like they would be totally okay with losing him to Vegas.  So essentially Iginla for Murray is pretty even, but I think that CBJ would need to add a pick to make Duchane for Jenner work.  Unless I am way off on Duchane's value.  I get that Jenner is 2 years younger, but he has really only had 1 good year.  Duchane is a proven 20 goal scorer 30 assist guy.  This feels like a steal for CBJ and a gamble for COL. 

As was said above it was a well thought out proposal and I get why both teams would consider this deal. 

I'll just comment on the Jackets deal.  

I think it's along the lines of the moves that would likely take place in the upcoming Expansion Draft (teams like the Avalanche and Coyotes acquiring quality roster assets that other teams would risk losing for nothing anyways).  Duchene to Jenner (to also get Murray) would probably be an acceptable move from Colorado's perspective, and as it is if they go 7-3-1 in the E.D. Jenner would have a spot up front.  Problem is, on your team's back end Johnson, Barrie and Beauchemin (NMC) are the eligible players for selection, and unless they can get Francois to waive his clause and be exposed they may not have a spot for Murray.  Realistically speaking they would want to build around the two right-handed D-men and Murray anyways, so how would the Avalanche be able to create a spot for Murray to be protected?  

9 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I'll just comment on the Jackets deal.  

I think it's along the lines of the moves that would likely take place in the upcoming Expansion Draft (teams like the Avalanche and Coyotes acquiring quality roster assets that other teams would risk losing for nothing anyways).  Duchene to Jenner (to also get Murray) would probably be an acceptable move from Colorado's perspective, and as it is if they go 7-3-1 in the E.D. Jenner would have a spot up front.  Problem is, on your team's back end Johnson, Barrie and Beauchemin (NMC) are the eligible players for selection, and unless they can get Francois to waive his clause and be exposed they may not have a spot for Murray.  Realistically speaking they would want to build around the two right-handed D-men and Murray anyways, so how would the Avalanche be able to create a spot for Murray to be protected?  

I agree with everything you said (although I do think Beauchemin is already a lock to waive his NMC so avs can protect Zadorov) and that's where the second deal comes into play.

Archived