The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Leafs Koolaid: Matthews is better than McDavid!!

oldnews

On 2017-01-04 at 4:00 AM, Phil_314 said:

It's like Sid vs Kopitar/ Toews.  Who's your man?  Really depends on the kind of team you're trying to build (2-way team vs all offense and run-and-gun), since while Anze/ Auston is the all-rounder who likely won't score as much but can limit damage, but you can't deny that some guys are good enough offensively to be game-breakers (Pat Kane, Sid, Malkin...) purely on the basis of their scoring ability.

Sid is a great two-way player, he's much more complete than Toews ever was. Toews has never reached 70 points in a year and Sid's never been under PPG. Crosby's defensive game gets over looked because he's such an offensive juggernaut, but if you watch him play you'll see that he backchecks like crazy, and when he gets put in a more defensive roll/system he excels at it (2014 Olympics/2016 WC). 

I get that it's cool to say that Toews is a better player since he isn't as flashy but I it's outright wrong to even consider them comparable. 

Now the Toronto Sports Network is debating on whether Matthews or McDavid is possibly the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league right now....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/auston-matthews-second-or-third-best-in-the-nhl~1033860

I assume Crosby is still #1, so that's fair... but if they are talking about RIGHT NOW, then I think Kane, Malkin, Burns, Voracek, Tarasenko, Ovechkin, Seguin, etc all say hi.

C'mon TSN, he's good and will likely be a great player, but the kid is barely cracking the Top 30 in scoring RIGHT NOW.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Now the Toronto Sports Network is debating on whether Matthews or McDavid is possibly the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league right now....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/auston-matthews-second-or-third-best-in-the-nhl~1033860

I assume Crosby is still #1, so that's fair... but if they are talking about RIGHT NOW, then I think Kane, Malkin, Burns, Voracek, Tarasenko, Ovechkin, Seguin, etc all say hi.

C'mon TSN, he's good and will likely be a great player, but the kid is barely cracking the Top 30 in scoring RIGHT NOW.

Tsn prlly starts off their morning with a group circle jerk to a pic of Matthews 

I couldn't believe it either when I saw that today. Like seriously? He's the 2nd best players this season? This is just too typical of the leafs and the tsn media love of anything toronto based. Burns has been a machine all year again but I guess he doesn't do a little pass out from behind the net so he isn't special. Price has been unreal for big chunks of the season and is the best goalie in the league, but I guess tsn doesn't want to think about that. I lament how at times CDC is high on the Canucks koolaid but tsn and matthews is on a whole other level. The kid has just played half of a season and it seems some of the media is ready to hand him every MVP, scoring title, and stanley cup from now until the end of time. Heck, I barely see anything about McDavid or any other young guys now unless I get onto a specific site, and forget tv now, all it is is the leafs and matthews and marner and how amazing the leafs are.

On January 4, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Jägermeister said:

We all laugh at the Leafs fan thinking for Matthews is better than McDavid.

Meanwhile there is a Canucks fan on this very forum who thinks we could trade Miller for the 1st overall pick.

Point is: some people just aren't very smart.

Haven't seen one person on this forum make this statement in any way shape or form but be dramatic I suppose.

Some serious crazy going on there... I am not even convinced Matthews is going to be an "average" 1st line centre, never mind elite or one of the top couple players in the league.

That isn't a big knock on him... to be able to say a 19 year old kid is definitely a legit 1st line centre is a huge freaking deal.  Everyone may be getting a little ahead of themselves.  I guess because Edmonton has McDavid, Toronto can't accept that they also don't have a mega star on their hands.

11 hours ago, Provost said:

Some serious crazy going on there... I am not even convinced Matthews is going to be an "average" 1st line centre, never mind elite or one of the top couple players in the league.

That isn't a big knock on him... to be able to say a 19 year old kid is definitely a legit 1st line centre is a huge freaking deal.  Everyone may be getting a little ahead of themselves.  I guess because Edmonton has McDavid, Toronto can't accept that they also don't have a mega star on their hands.

You don't think Matthews will be a stud centerman? 

I understand your reluctance to call him a superstar, today, but seriously, can we make a friendly wager then? Nah. 

This kid is not an average top line player, on any team, and gets better every game. 

I would trade Horvat and anyone else on this team, plus a first, to get this guy. 

22 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You don't think Matthews will be a stud centerman? 

I understand your reluctance to call him a superstar, today, but seriously, can we make a friendly wager then? Nah. 

This kid is not an average top line player, on any team, and gets better every game. 

I would trade Horvat and anyone else on this team, plus a first, to get this guy. 

Any top line player is a "stud".  He is miles away from being one of the top two players in the league as the stories are going.  He is getting prime minutes and doing well.

He is not "neck and neck" with MCDavid, not even close. 

He is almost certainly going to be better than Horvat, who "may" be a below average top line centre... or one of the best 2nd line centers in the game.  Again, that is no knock on the player... I would take Kesler (without the attitude) any day... and that is a pretty good comparable for Horvat.

On 2017-01-08 at 9:09 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

If I had to pick 49-51%, going to Matthews.

Not an IR mainstay, which I see McDavid being, like Bure.

That's a really good point, about the players' differing styles of play leading to McDavid likely being injured more often.  The issue with Matthews is he plays for the Leafs, and must be hated, despised, and (hopefully) injured often too.

Matthews is 25th in league scoring. Pretty incredible for a rookie, I'll grant them that but the 2nd best player in the league? Yikes there is some pretty crappy sensationalistic "journalism" going on in TO.

On 1/3/2017 at 7:01 PM, Toews said:

Most of these "bloggers" are not worth taking seriously, they have no reason to maintain any objectivity because they are writing with only one audience in mind. Most of them are terrible writers as well.

It's quite interesting how their media over values their players, while our media consistently tries to bring the team down 

On 1/13/2017 at 8:23 AM, Provost said:

Any top line player is a "stud".  He is miles away from being one of the top two players in the league as the stories are going.  He is getting prime minutes and doing well.

He is not "neck and neck" with MCDavid, not even close. 

He is almost certainly going to be better than Horvat, who "may" be a below average top line centre... or one of the best 2nd line centers in the game.  Again, that is no knock on the player... I would take Kesler (without the attitude) any day... and that is a pretty good comparable for Horvat.

Almost certainly going to be better than Horvat? He already is!

6 minutes ago, Hectic said:

It's quite interesting how their media over values their players, while our media consistently tries to bring the team down 

This isn't media though, this is some random blogger on the internet. The media exists to sell itself. When the overall outlook of the fan base is a negative one you will see the media churning out more articles with that tone. When things are going well and the fans are satisfied you will see more fluff pieces. The Toronto fans are currently in the honeymoon phase in regards to their team, if they fail to show progress and instead stagnate you will see the knives and pitchforks start to come back.

11 hours ago, Toews said:

This isn't media though, this is some random blogger on the internet. The media exists to sell itself. When the overall outlook of the fan base is a negative one you will see the media churning out more articles with that tone. When things are going well and the fans are satisfied you will see more fluff pieces. The Toronto fans are currently in the honeymoon phase in regards to their team, if they fail to show progress and instead stagnate you will see the knives and pitchforks start to come back.

ahh good point 

12 hours ago, Toews said:

This isn't media though, this is some random blogger on the internet.

I think you might want to take a better survey of the Toronto media though.

They're notorious for this stuff.

'Leafs are Canada's best team.'

'Matthews is better than McDavid isn't limited to this one blogger.

And if you read the latest out of Toronto, they're 'set to make noise in the playoffs'.

Very different tone to the media in Toronto and Vancouver.

Their market is filled with rabid homer media.

Vancouver's trolls it's own team.  I entirely agree with Hectic in that sense.

Archived