The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Leafs Koolaid: Matthews is better than McDavid!!

oldnews

I like the Maple Leafs. They finally have smart people running the team and got lucky to receive the #1 overall pick in one of the best drafts in recent time.

I'd take McDavid over Matthews given the choice, but you won't find a whole lot of people complaining about it. I'm just thrilled McDavid is playing north of the border and am in no way upset about that.

I know I'll get hate because most of you view Toronto the same way I view Montreal and Calgary. I wish the other 5 teams in Canada nothing but success.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Very different tone to the media in Toronto and Vancouver.

Their market is filled with rabid homer media.

Vancouver's trolls it's own team.  I entirely agree with Hectic in that sense.

I think Toews makes a good point on that last part though- should the team hit a wall in a couple of years or begin to struggle I think the media will turn. Look what they did to Phaneuf and, to a lesser extent, Kessel.

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think Toews makes a good point on that last part though- should the team hit a wall in a couple of years or begin to struggle I think the media will turn. Look what they did to Phaneuf and, to a lesser extent, Kessel.

Yup that's classic Toronto media right there. Can't stand them myself.

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah - it's honeymoon period - but at the same time they were 'Canada's Best team' back in the Phaneuf / Kessel era.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yeah - it's honeymoon period - but at the same time they were 'Canada's Best team' back in the Phaneuf / Kessel era.

But then ran the aforementioned two out of town. My liking for Kessel really began when he put his foot down with the media that day and stuck up for Dion. He was totally right in what he said.

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

But then ran the aforementioned two out of town. My liking for Kessel really began when he put his foot down with the media that day and stuck up for Dion. He was totally right in what he said.

Yeah - unfair to Phaneuf but fair enough where Kessel was concerned.

I still think it is far rarer that you see that in Toronto, and it took literally forever to rear itself.

29 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Its sports media 101. My dad's friend was a writer out of Kansas and I had a conversation with him when I was interested in the profession myself. The gist of what he told me was that you got to roll with the tide. No one wants to read a negative article when they are feeling good about their team. If things are not going well then those kind of articles become a lot more appealing. There was a larger deeper conversation about soft targets and picking your spots which I wont get into. The point though was that much of sports media is just confirming what the fans want to hear. Of course this isn't always the case and some guys do get more leeway to express their thoughts but even then there are limits. For example no one out of Toronto or Winnipeg can write a word against Laine or Matthews, it simply won't make it past the editor's desk.

22 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think you might want to take a better survey of the Toronto media though.

They're notorious for this stuff.

'Leafs are Canada's best team.'

'Matthews is better than McDavid isn't limited to this one blogger.

And if you read the latest out of Toronto, they're 'set to make noise in the playoffs'.

Very different tone to the media in Toronto and Vancouver.

Their market is filled with rabid homer media.

Vancouver's trolls it's own team.  I entirely agree with Hectic in that sense.

Yeah as sad as that hot mess of a blog is, i would take them over our trash media any day.  We just lack any kind of talent when it comes to natural ability to entertain.  So they crutch on the support of Tanbir and his army of stupidity. 

20 hours ago, Xbox said:

I like the Maple Leafs. They finally have smart people running the team and got lucky to receive the #1 overall pick in one of the best drafts in recent time.

I'd take McDavid over Matthews given the choice, but you won't find a whole lot of people complaining about it. I'm just thrilled McDavid is playing north of the border and am in no way upset about that.

I know I'll get hate because most of you view Toronto the same way I view Montreal and Calgary. I wish the other 5 teams in Canada nothing but success.

The Leafs are hard to like.

I try, but they don't make it easy.

I think the "smart people" running their team are vastly over-rated tbh.  Shanahan and LouLam are mediocre at best - far too much credit for stockpiling late round picks.

Imo it's Babcock that has turned the franchise around - where they needed it most - on the ice - in the way they play the game.  He turned an absolutely horrible roster last year into a decent possession team - a remarkable feat - and he's continuing to change the culture there into a team that plays the right way (aside from running around and throwing cheap shots of course).

Still - their media culture are somewhat opposite but equally worthy of ignoring as Vancouver's is.

• 8 months later...

It's only 3-4 games into the season, so lots of time to evaluate the comparison and forecasts. 

From what I've seen of these two monster talents, there is very little separation between them, except for the size and speed elements. 

Connor, and more specifically Derek Dorsett, has recently revealed a few cracks in his game, which will be undoubtedly mined for Kryptonite by the opposition. Auston has not shown any character flaws thus far, but it is early in his career.

My money is on Matthews becoming the consensus number one player within the next two years. His poise and puck-luck are 99-like. He is like an MVP quarterback who runs in 3 touchdowns a game to boot. He is also going to be a very big, strong man, perhaps Jäger-like, which will help keep the puck on his stick and him out of the IR, an advantage over McDavid. 

Matthews took a team of kids to game 7 OT against last year's President Trophy winners in round one, as a rookie. McDavid's rookie year enjoyed a roster made up of a plethora of top 5 picks and a few 30 goal scoring vet wingers. Not to take anything away from that awesome rookie season, but McDavid's luxury of the roster's talented, scoring depth was not shared by Matthews and the kid roster set to auto-tank by Shanny, which completely backfired. Kadri and JVR did not compare to Hall, Ederle, Lucic, RNH, to name a few top talents, so leaving room for inflating Matthews' rookie scoring stats, isn't a stretch, but a 40-goal rookie season on a tank season + 1 is a hell of a feat.

I don't follow teams as much as I follow players. I cheer for great Hockey more than I do as a rival fan, mumbling out some spiteful, tribal complaints when I see a great player do something special. These two are both generational franchise players in the same way Crosby and Ovechkin were. They will be forever linked and rivals. I look forward to international play and how that pans out, which is likely my favourite hockey to watch and where I really hate to be on the losing side. 

I'm on record for picking Matthews as my guy, just like I picked Crosby over OV, way back. They will go back and forth with scoring stats, but I think Matthews will be the next clutch winner, like Toews or Crosby have been, but I can't go as far as to say he will win cups, because that is a team thing. 

13 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I'm on record for picking Matthews as my guy, just like I picked Crosby over OV, way back. They will go back and forth with scoring stats, but I think Matthews will be the next clutch winner, like Toews or Crosby have been, but I can't go as far as to say he will win cups, because that is a team thing. 

Did you Matthews 2 goals against Montreal tonight? It was insane! https://streamable.com/dvk21

Matthews is definitely better in some aspects of his game than McDavid. He plays a much heavier game. But there also lots of things McDavid does better.

I think its also important to note that teams have two seasons of film and info on McDavid vs one for Matthews. And its still very early in their careers, we don't know what the table will be like 5 years from now in their primes.

Talent for talent I think McDavid is better than Austin but I also think Ovie is better than Crosby. It will come down to how effectively they are used and how their team is built around them. I think TO is doing a better job of building a team  where EDM is much more one dimensional much like with Wash if you shut down Ovi you win 90% of the time.

I do think McDavid is better and this writer obviously has homer glasses on. That said, the discussion isn't outlandish. 

Matthews has scored 45 goals, just 4 less than McDavid in an entire season less (nearly half has many games). 

Matthews has size, strength, and solid two-way abilities. He is also 58.8% on the dot so far this year compared to McDavid's 40%.

That said, McDavids overall skill and speed are pretty much untouched right now. McDavid has potential to be a generational player and face of the league like Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby. Matthews has potential to be an elite player like Sakic, Yzerman, Forsberg, Sundin, Messier, and Ovechkin. 

Archived