The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No offense to our offence

Phat Fingers

9 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Thats striking distance to the playoffs and striking distance to a top ten pick, depending on your POV.

EW

Which is pretty much exactly where I think they were expecting to be.

Relatively healthy and there's a reasonable chance of the former.

Having pared the roster down to a minority of key veterans - if you lose too many of Edler, Tanev, Hansen etc, then the latter is also a distinct possibility.

That's the compromise in the approach - I personally can live with either - am not primarily attached to results in the short run - but at the same time, I want to see a team that wins as much as it can and plays the game the right way.  For the most part I'm pretty satisfied with this season thus far, despite the obvious struggles.

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Having pared the roster down to a minority of key veterans - if you lose too many of Edler, Tanev, Hansen etc, then the latter is also a distinct possibility.

That's the compromise in the approach - I personally can live with either - am not primarily attached to results in the short run - but at the same time, I want to see a team that wins as much as it can and plays the game the right way.  For the most part I'm pretty satisfied with this season thus far, despite the obvious struggles.

Ditto, chips will fall where they may but I have no desire to watch a team who's goal from the outset is a top five pick.

17 hours ago, oldnews said:

I really like the recent changes that have been made regarding the offence.  

I agree with you, we are exactly where we should be in terms of standings and I am very optimistic about our young players and prospects. 

Whether we get to the playoffs or not is of very little concern to me. Not losing Baer, Hansen or Sbisa to Vegas is a much higher priority. 

Baer has played himself onto our protected list. Sbisa has been our best defenceman many nights this season. Hansen is invaluable. 

JB has to make a trade, whether he packages up a forward and defender, or makes two trades, it doesn't matter.  

Holding on on to a player only to make round one, is pointless. We could make out like bandits with a solid package like Hansen and any of our top 4 veteran defenders to a contender. 

EW

9 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I really like the recent changes that have been made regarding the offence.  

I agree with you, we are exactly where we should be in terms of standings and I am very optimistic about our young players and prospects. 

Whether we get to the playoffs or not is of very little concern to me. Not losing Baer, Hansen or Sbisa to Vegas is a much higher priority. 

Baer has played himself onto our protected list. Sbisa has been our best defenceman many nights this season. Hansen is invaluable. 

JB has to make a trade, whether he packages up a forward and defender, or makes two trades, it doesn't matter.  

Holding on on to a player only to make round one, is pointless. We could make out like bandits with a solid package like Hansen and any of our top 4 veteran defenders to a contender. 

EW

Euphoria always hits the pages when the team is playing well. My only caution would be the opponents they are playing. Anaheim was seriously legit. LA, Oilers, Yotes not so much. Canucks have proven in the past that they can compete if healthy and rested.

My concern this year is not making playoffs as the main priority but player evaluation and development. The d-core has been a boon pretty much across the board. Many are worried about Hutton and I do not share the concern. He will evolve. Larsson was a flyer that did not work but JB had to take the op, same with Rodin.

The big deal with the forward group is that Horvat and Baer are turning into 'full season' players. Granlund is carving a niche for himself. WD is cutting the Twins TOI as the others produce which is necessary. At 18 minutes TOI the Twins can extend their careers. Edler at 20 minutes is best IMHO. Sutter is proving that he can produce a very effective 200' game which was a question with his injuries last year. Still think the Ericksson signing is OK and he will reground.

Still hope that Benning moves some vets into the TDL to improve his prospect and draft depth. This winning streak increases their value. Options: Miller, Edler or Tanev, Twins, Burrows, Skille, Dorsett, maybe Hansen on a great deal.   

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Euphoria always hits the pages when the team is playing well. My only caution would be the opponents they are playing. Anaheim was seriously legit. LA, Oilers, Yotes not so much. Canucks have proven in the past that they can compete if healthy and rested.

My concern this year is not making playoffs as the main priority but player evaluation and development. The d-core has been a boon pretty much across the board. Many are worried about Hutton and I do not share the concern. He will evolve. Larsson was a flyer that did not work but JB had to take the op, same with Rodin.

The big deal with the forward group is that Horvat and Baer are turning into 'full season' players. Granlund is carving a niche for himself. WD is cutting the Twins TOI as the others produce which is necessary. At 18 minutes TOI the Twins can extend their careers. Edler at 20 minutes is best IMHO. Sutter is proving that he can produce a very effective 200' game which was a question with his injuries last year. Still think the Ericksson signing is OK and he will reground.

Still hope that Benning moves some vets into the TDL to improve his prospect and draft depth. This winning streak increases their value. Options: Miller, Edler or Tanev, Twins, Burrows, Skille, Dorsett, maybe Hansen on a great deal.   

Send Hansen and defender in a package to a contender. We will get a 1st, a good prospect or two. We might have to take a cap dump back. 

Archived