The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Claim Reid Boucher Off Waivers

Bur14Kes17

In the playoff you need depth, you need bodies you can throw in when injuries happen. The management don't know if this team reach that goal, but they have to prepare for it, that's why they maybe claimed Boucher. Depth is good, competition is good anyway.

20 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I agree that is the biggest issue of trust. Willie D doesn't trust Boucher or Rodin yet.

He has faith in Guance, Chaput,Skille and even Megna to back check hard and play a pretty safe low risk game.

Problem is without real games you never know if you can trust guys until you actually give them some ice time and see how they look positionally.

Both will get their chance, there is no doubt about that but it will be in a position WD expects them to be successful because that is the way he works.

58 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Both will get their chance, there is no doubt about that but it will be in a position WD expects them to be successful because that is the way he works.

Well Alf...I hope WD does a better job figuring out how to slot them into positions that achieve  success than he has been at solving the PP.  2.5 years of complete uselessness and when asked, his responses..."the twins have been effective in the past and will be again"...News flash Willie, the twins have not been effective on the PP since 2012, just like they are not effective together in OT.

I just don't see WD as having a strategic or flexible approach.  He has been surprised too often by players exceeding his expectations to be considered a good talent assessor yet he continues to be rigid in his deployment of players he is not sure of.  Players either fit his mold or they don't play.  That's the sign of a manager, not a coach.  A coach adapts to the players to get the most out of the, he doesn't try to mold every player into the same type of player.

I posted an article from Botchford talking about Rodin and how his knee isn't great in the Rodin thread.  Probably explains why he isn't being played.  Boucher I doubt is anyone to be considered a saviour from a scoring perspective, given he was bouncing around on the waiver wire and headed back to the AHL, That isn't a strong indication he's better than Megna, Chaput, Gaunce.  Having one practice with the team prior to the most recent road trip, Desjardins doesn't know how well he plays defensively, and Boucher doesn't know the Canucks system so it's not fair to him or the rest of the team to put him into the lineup.  Scoring is only one part of the game, if he costs us goals because he doesn't play well defensively or doesn't know what he's supposed to do, not a big help to the team.  Desjardins has also stated that he doesn't want to break up other lines to move someone onto the Sedin line to make them more effective, as that then makes the other line less effective.  He's now done that moving Eriksson, haven't seen any massive improvement on the Sedin line (Eriksson has been tried there several times this year to little avail).   At least with Megna on the Sedin line, there is a decent forecheck and backcheck which helps gain control of the puck in the offensive zone.  Otherwise the Sedins need to carry the puck in and hang onto it, doesn't seem to happen that often.  

2 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Boucher will be playing against his former team NJ tomorrow night. 

And WD has proven to be sentimental in these situations. Remember Alex Burrows playing with the Sedins for the opening face-off in his 800th game?

Is he really playing ?

12 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Well Alf...I hope WD does a better job figuring out how to slot them into positions that achieve  success than he has been at solving the PP.  2.5 years of complete uselessness and when asked, his responses..."the twins have been effective in the past and will be again"...News flash Willie, the twins have not been effective on the PP since 2012, just like they are not effective together in OT.

I just don't see WD as having a strategic or flexible approach.  He has been surprised too often by players exceeding his expectations to be considered a good talent assessor yet he continues to be rigid in his deployment of players he is not sure of.  Players either fit his mold or they don't play.  That's the sign of a manager, not a coach.  A coach adapts to the players to get the most out of the, he doesn't try to mold every player into the same type of player.

Imo players should always exceed the coaches expectations.

Were the opposite to be the case, he AND the club would be in a bad way.

This is a team, hopefully, half way through a rebuild, where the coach has been tasked with winning. In order to do that Willie can't afford to make too many gambles. Gambles are easy when you have an established team with mostly good vet players - Gillis wasted 5 years where he could have taken a bunch of gambles and didn't. That time has passed.

Willie has a "work ethic" That is written throughout his CV, THAT is his mold and it has served him well thought his coaching life. He will always gamble on a hard worker because at the end of the day that is very seldom a real gamble. The reason we are now seeing our young players succeed is they see that this is what WD demands from them and they have worked their asses off to fit in and succeed.

A coach doesn't adapt to individual players, that would be folly. He adapts his game/systems.tactics to suit the body of players at his disposal - individual players especially rookies then have to adapt to that style. These are seldom major adaptions, more in the way of becoming reliable/consistent. That is why players like Sven and Granlund took time to adapt. These are not the same kind of player no more than Stecher and Tryamkin are the same kind of player.

Even the AHL players took time to adapt.

Sadly that is also why Kassian fell by the wayside and Jake was sent to Utica.

You say he's not a good talent assessor - well he's not really required to be, his job is to work with and build a team from the talent he is given by the GM. This has been particularly difficult because most of it has been "raw" due to the fact JB didn't inherit much in Utica.

There is no evidence of his rigidity in deployment of players either, in fact it's the opposite imo. He spent the first third of the season trying to find chemistry, trying to get Jake to see what was needed and to cope with injuries which made these things more difficult.

20 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

who surprised him, and what were his expectations of that player?

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

who surprised him, and what were his expectations of that player?

Clever girl...Been discussed at length and you have participated. Maybe instead of  cherrypicking to look cute, you would care to comment on the pp observations or the ot deployment if the twins.  

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Imo players should always exceed the coaches expectations.

Were the opposite to be the case, he AND the club would be in a bad way.

This is a team, hopefully, half way through a rebuild, where the coach has been tasked with winning. In order to do that Willie can't afford to make too many gambles. Gambles are easy when you have an established team with mostly good vet players - Gillis wasted 5 years where he could have taken a bunch of gambles and didn't. That time has passed.

Willie has a "work ethic" That is written throughout his CV, THAT is his mold and it has served him well thought his coaching life. He will always gamble on a hard worker because at the end of the day that is very seldom a real gamble. The reason we are now seeing our young players succeed is they see that this is what WD demands from them and they have worked their asses off to fit in and succeed.

A coach doesn't adapt to individual players, that would be folly. He adapts his game/systems.tactics to suit the body of players at his disposal - individual players especially rookies then have to adapt to that style. These are seldom major adaptions, more in the way of becoming reliable/consistent. That is why players like Sven and Granlund took time to adapt. These are not the same kind of player no more than Stecher and Tryamkin are the same kind of player.

Even the AHL players took time to adapt.

Sadly that is also why Kassian fell by the wayside and Jake was sent to Utica.

You say he's not a good talent assessor - well he's not really required to be, his job is to work with and build a team from the talent he is given by the GM. This has been particularly difficult because most of it has been "raw" due to the fact JB didn't inherit much in Utica.

There is no evidence of his rigidity in deployment of players either, in fact it's the opposite imo. He spent the first third of the season trying to find chemistry, trying to get Jake to see what was needed and to cope with injuries which made these things more difficult.

I agree Willie's mold is Work Ethic.  He is also a good communicator.  Unfortunately, that is all I see with him.  No creativity. No flexibility. No adaptability.  To me he is like a player who achieved success at every level but can't make the jump to the NHL.  He has achieved nothing in 2.5 yrs and and team does not show signs of improving but more like treading water.  The pp is perhaps the most glaring example of his inability to adapt or create.  It simply sucks and has for years yet his plan is to rely on the Sedins recapturing their 2011 form.  Brilliant.

16 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Clever girl...Been discussed at length and you have participated. Maybe instead of  cherrypicking to look cute, you would care to comment on the pp observations or the ot deployment if the twins.  

Simple question that your internet tough guy response didn't answer.

Who were the guys that "surprised" WD and what were his expectations of them?

I suspect you know that's a nonsense claim to make - you don't know and can't speak for Dejardins' mindset - and therefore the over-reaction/sidestep.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Simple question that your internet tough guy response didn't answer.

Who were the guys that "surprised" WD and what were his expectations of them?

I suspect you know that's a nonsense claim to make - you don't know and can't speak for Dejardins' mindset - and therefore the over-reaction/sidestep.

...and you continue to dodge the bulk and meat of my comments choosing to cherry pick, which is your pattern. 

Tryamkin held out until injury forced his play and contrary to WD, he was ready and in fact, one of our best D since. IF that charade had gone on much more, we may well have lost Try to Russia because WD didn't see what he had.

Bo - forced to play a more prominent role when Sutter went despite WD pigeon-holing him publicly as a shut down guy, he led the team in scoring the second half and again this season.   

You keep on defending an AHL coach that has accomplished nothing at the NHL level and has been unable to solve a critical piece of this team's ability to stay competitive in 2.5 years...the PP. 

Unless you can prove you know WD's mindset, you disagreeing with my assessment is just fart gas.

44 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

...and you continue to dodge the bulk and meat of my comments choosing to cherry pick, which is your pattern. 

Tryamkin held out until injury forced his play and contrary to WD, he was ready and in fact, one of our best D since. IF that charade had gone on much more, we may well have lost Try to Russia because WD didn't see what he had.

Bo - forced to play a more prominent role when Sutter went despite WD pigeon-holing him publicly as a shut down guy, he led the team in scoring the second half and again this season.   

You keep on defending an AHL coach that has accomplished nothing at the NHL level and has been unable to solve a critical piece of this team's ability to stay competitive in 2.5 years...the PP. 

Unless you can prove you know WD's mindset, you disagreeing with my assessment is just fart gas.

So your story is that Tryamkin and Horvat "surprised" Desjardins, who had expected less of them.

Cool story.

Where was Horvat "pigeon-holed" as a shutdown guy? 

I think he expected more of Tryamkin - the opposite of being 'surprised' - and that he'd have been in the lineup from day 1 If he'd  shown up in condition - which is what is 'expected' - and not the kind of thing that can be hidden - or fabricated by a coach to cover up having 'underestimated' him.

I couldn't care less about 'defending' what you think is an "AHL" coach - I'd need to hear a lot better case from you Willie Watchers before I find what you guys are saying convincing at all.  Thus far it's just a lot of unsubstantiated noise.

Archived