The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Claim Reid Boucher Off Waivers

Bur14Kes17

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We've given him all this time to heal and recover his knee, maybe he can repay the favour.

We've really done nothing for him. He played great in pre-season and reaggrivated his knee injury. Since being healthy WD has given him 2 games, and he really hasn't looked terrible in either game. Lots of fans expectations are just completely out to lunch.

I don't see Rodin getting the boot after 2 regular season games. He's still getting up to speed while the rest of the team has played nearly half a season. Rodin is going to get some time to showcase what he can do in a Canuck uniform, but they aren't going to rush him back into the lineup and risk re-injury.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Considering the people who've been through waivers this year, I wouldn't be worried about any of Chaput, Megna or Skille. Chaput might be the most likely to be claimed, but the other two I really doubt they'd not pass through.

4 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

But Willie aint playing the kid 

He's played 2 games actually.

He's 1/2 a season behind the rest of the league, I'm sure he'll get more time as he gets up to speed. You don't just jump in to the middle of the NHL season off injury particularly as the rough equivalent to a rookie.

Give him (and WD) a few weeks.

54 minutes ago, Derp... said:

He can play in the NHL, much more proven than Rattie, just needs to round out his game a bit more just like Sven and Granny did. Could be a decent middle 6 pickup with second PP potential.

Definitely more proven, but I think we've also seen a lot of what he can bring where Rattie is an unknown and could surprise. Safer vs risky I guess.

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think it was @oldnews who posted a complex Corsi chart, and it had Gaunce as our second best Corsi guy.  Maybe there is more going on here than just sending Gaunce down?  

Derp.

There's nothing 'complex' about corsi furball.  It's the plus/minus of shot attempts.  So, plus minus - without the goals. Just shots. Hope that helps.

55 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

He's free.  All it takes is an open contract spot.  There's no reason not to take the chance.

They aren't claiming him with the mindset of having him for help in Utica. It's clear he won't pass waivers as he's been claimed a few times and someone like Megna (who hasn't been working with the Sedins and doesn't have a fit elsewhere really) could get through without much issue. If we wanted him for Utica we would have tried to trade a marginal piece for him after he cleared.

56 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'd say he's got more offensive upside than Megna which could fit well with the Sedins... Who knows, we might have picked him up to play Burrows slot beside Horvat if he's out for a while too? 

And put Rodin with the Sedins, please! Their play actually looked good when Rodin came on early and they got a chance in the offensive end.

3 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

He should help Utica quite a bit.

Nope.

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

They aren't claiming him with the mindset of having him for help in Utica. It's clear he won't pass waivers as he's been claimed a few times and someone like Megna (who hasn't been working with the Sedins and doesn't have a fit elsewhere really) could get through without much issue. If we wanted him for Utica we would have tried to trade a marginal piece for him after he cleared.

50 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I suppose I'd say to @oldnewswhat good is that if he's invisible on the score sheet and isn't living up to his 1st round draft hopes? To me he's been a pretty big disappointment and his scoring stats are pretty underwhelming, even with good possession. 

I suppose there could be some part of a deal in the works but I can't imagine he's a big part of it. 

Got to agree. I'm a big fan of Gaunce but he seems to lack confidence in his ability just now. He was a chance taker in the AHL but he seems more inclined to pass just now. That's ok if you are on the a line playing with the Sedins but he should be leading the scoring on that 4th line.

Maybe he will do better when Dorsett comes back as both Chaput and Skille seem to want to do it all themselves - while there is a lot of hustle on the 4th there is not much interplay which probably doesn't suit Gaunce at this stage. Willie seems to like him though - however if JB wants him in Utica that's where he will go.

We need some help down here from someone!  

I think Guance has been doing well, except he isn't putting up any points.  He is always in the right places though and I think he is generally a guy Willie likes.  I could see Rodin coming back down instead of Gaunce since Megna looked pretty good last game with the twins.  Gaunce doesnt have to pass through waivers but Rodin wouldn't get picked up and Willie doesnt seem to like Rodin and he shouldn't be sitting given his health situation.     

It interesting to get Devils fans perspective on this...have a visit to their forums - it doesnt look like anyone was/is sad to see Boucher go.  This might be more about stocking organizational assets in order to get Utica some help (trickle down effect is someone is sent down to Utica to help)

I would caution against sending Gaunce down.  He has size, can muck and grind, and is developing his defensive game nicely.

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

And put Rodin with the Sedins, please! Their play actually looked good when Rodin came on early and they got a chance in the offensive end.

Eriksson or Boucher with Horvat though? I still wouldn't mind seeing Eriksson on Horvat's wing either.

Sedin, Sedin, Rodin

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Granlund, Sutter, Boucher

Could work as well. Those RW's could work just about anywhere! :lol:

Burr back on the 4th when he's back...?

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Got to agree. I'm a big fan of Gaunce but he seems to lack confidence in his ability just now. He was a chance taker in the AHL but he seems more inclined to pass just now. That's ok if you are on the a line playing with the Sedins but he should be leading the scoring on that 4th line.

Maybe he will do better when Dorsett comes back as both Chaput and Skille seem to want to do it all themselves - while there is a lot of hustle on the 4th there is not much interplay which probably doesn't suit Gaunce at this stage. Willie seems to like him though - however if JB wants him in Utica that's where he will go.

Yet another young player who lost confidence due to a bad coach.  If Benning refuses to hire an NHL coach this season Gaunce needs to go gotten before WD does permanent damage.

Archived