The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Claim Reid Boucher Off Waivers

Bur14Kes17

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Derp.

There's nothing 'complex' about corsi furball.  It's the plus/minus of shot attempts.  So, plus minus - without the goals. Just shots. Hope that helps.

My point was that Gaunce is actually playing well considering his role.  I think Rodin is done.  This new guy seems more of a Rodin replacement than a Gaunce replacement.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

My point was that Gaunce is actually playing well considering his role.  I think Rodin is done.  This new guy seems more of a Rodin replacement than a Gaunce replacement.

Hasn't Rodin only played like 3 games?  He's been recovering from an injury that I'm pretty sure he aggravated by coming back early.  Give the guy a break lol.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

I suppose I'd say to @oldnewswhat good is that if he's invisible on the score sheet and isn't living up to his 1st round draft hopes?

And I'd just repost the obvious - that a rookie playing the kind of minutes he is - with 23.1% offensive zone starts (and great possession numbers) - isn't judged on production alone, particularly when he's also been playing with the NHL's youngest blueline for long stretches.  You don't judge players with this kind of deployment (ie did you judge Malhotra on production) on the "score sheet."  If he is sent down it's simply because the team doesn't want to lose any assets to waivers and are dealing with a handful of lost forwards. "Invisible" is a compliment for a player in his role - and tbh, if you haven't noticed him, that may just be your own perception - and what you look for.
Gaunce may be better served by playing more than 10 minutes a night on a top AHL line as opposed to developing his shutdown skills on our 4th line - but one thing is for certain - he's done a very good job of what he's been asked.

18 hours ago, oldnews said:

Scoring goals isn't necessarily the role or expectation of Gaunce (or Chaput) at this point though.

Would be nice, but at the same time, a rookie with the lowest ozone starts and one of the best shot attempt differentials - suggest that the fourth line is doing their job - limiting chances/goals against, generating territory and whenever possible, spending time in the attacking zone. 

It's a pretty good ground for a future shutdown or middle six two way forward imo. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So you think Rodin is done given the 2 games he's played this year? The guy just got back from a serious injury, is basically a rookie in the NHL and hasn't played bad in his 2 games. Rodin isn't going anywhere anytime soon, he is more talented than Gaunce/Megna/Chaput. I don't see JB waiving Rodin.

They are being cautious with Rodin, who has missed half a year and just coming off a major injury. They aren't going to rush him into big minutes or playing consecutive games until he gets into proper game shape..

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

And I'd just repost the obvious - that a rookie playing the kind of minutes he is - with 23.1% offensive zone starts (and great possession numbers) - isn't judged on production alone, particularly when he's also been playing with the NHL's youngest blueline for long stretches.  You don't judge players with this kind of deployment (ie did you judge Malhotra on production) on the "score sheet."  If he is sent down it's simply because the team doesn't want to lose any assets to waivers and are dealing with a handful of lost forwards. "Invisible" is a compliment for a player in his role - and tbh, if you haven't noticed him, that may just be your own perception - and what you look for.
Gaunce may be better served by playing more than 10 minutes a night on a top AHL line as opposed to developing his shutdown skills on our 4th line - but one thing is for certain - he's done a very good job of what he's been asked.

Agree pretty much.  It would be nice to see Gaunce using his size a bit more adding more physicality to his game though.

Very happy with his defensive game / skating  though. 

Guy can obviously fire the puck.

62 goals in Sarnia.

Good production in the AHL.

I'm guessing this came down to that, as well as being a grittier player than Rattie - probably more suited to a bottom 6 role - and being a LW, fits a longer term organizational need better.

The fact the Predators also claimed this young guy - looking at the kind of forward prospect depth they already had - says something as well.

I trust Benning et al's judgement on this - taking him over Rattie. 

Welcome to Van.  Looking forward to seeing what he can do.  Tempers the loss of Etem, who isn't playing this year anyway.

41 minutes ago, J.R. said:

We offer opportunity to play and are the team to draft him and give him a second chance. It's not likely there'll be crap tons of competition for signing him either.

Other possible aspect -- no rush to showcase Rodin with the expansion draft looming.  Keep him low key for now, resign and have him come in fully ready next year.

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Why? Not arguing, just curious. I know nothing about Rattie. 

I'm assuming cause Rattie was a star in the WHL a few years back for the Portland Winterhawks. He was a really good player, and he made team Canada's World Junior team.

I don't think Rattie has been able to carry on his success that he had for Portland in the W though, but I also haven't followed him since he left the WHL.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Eriksson or Boucher with Horvat though? I still wouldn't mind seeing Eriksson on Horvat's wing either.

Sedin, Sedin, Rodin

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Granlund, Sutter, Boucher

Could work as well. Those RW's could work just about anywhere! :lol:

Burr back on the 4th when he's back...?

My first reaction was Boucher with Horvat rather than disrupt the Sutter line (which is probably why they won't change that) but I'd like to see Eriksson there as well.

As for what happens when Burr is back, that'll depend on how Rodin and Boucher do. Burr could go straight back with Horvat if either of them aren't doing well. Or if Rodin is doing well but they still want to give him a rest here and there, Burr could go with the Sedins temporarily.

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

Looking at the roster it appears nobody needs to be moved to make room until someone returns from injury. https://www.nhl.com/canucks/roster

From a roster limit standpoint, perhaps not. From a playing time standpoint however...

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Other possible aspect -- no rush to showcase Rodin with the expansion draft looming.  Keep him low key for now, resign and have him come in fully ready next year.

Possibly has a small impact on it. I still think we're only planning on keeping one of him/Baer/Granlund. 

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

My first reaction was Boucher with Horvat rather than disrupt the Sutter line (which is probably why they won't change that) but I'd like to see Eriksson there as well.

As for what happens when Burr is back, that'll depend on how Rodin and Boucher do. Burr could go straight back with Horvat if either of them aren't doing well. Or if Rodin is doing well but they still want to give him a rest here and there, Burr could go with the Sedins temporarily.

Yup to all that. Be interesting to see what WD does with all these interchangeable parts. WHatever it is, CDC will be sure to bitch though! :lol:

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Agree pretty much.  It would be nice to see Gaunce using his size a bit more adding more physicality to his game though.

Very happy with his defensive game / skating  though. 

He has the most hits of any of our forwards. I think he's been quite effective physically; any more aggression would lead to him being out of position.

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

He has the most hits of any of our forwards. I think he's been quite effective physically; any more aggression would lead to him being out of position.

I agree he has done all that Willie has asked of him with his very limited minutes.I really would like see him given more time an bumped up a line frequently to see how he fares.

Archived