The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone been to Tokyo?

JM_

I've been there twice.

This was my itinerary on my second trip for like 5 days keep in mind I also spend time with my friends there getting wasted. 

Keep in mind I wrote this like 3 years ago so I was conversing with someone so keep that in mind if I sound a little wired. 

Akhabara - I actually don't like Anime or Otaku that much but It always amazes me how bizzare this area is.
Shinjuku - First night I went around here though a couple of guys asked me if I wanted some "titties" it bothered me a bit but It was still fun walking around. I think I went around the Golden Gai and Kabukicho
Sky Tree - In my first trip in Tokyo I went to the Tokyo Tower so I might as well go to the Skytree this time. The 350 Meter Observatory kind of sucks since it's so crowded and dare I say Tokyo Tower had a better view. An extra 1000 Yen takes you t other 450 Meter observatory which was actually really nice too bad it had to cost me an overall 3000 yen. Not bad but of all the towers and observatories I have been too, it's a middle of the pack one. Kind of disappointing 
Asakusa Area I managed to find that Sushi place it was standing room, and yes it was quite cheap. The Asakusa Area was great, actually I was there the last time but that was a Sunday and super crowded that we just gave up going inside the temple. This time it was a weekday so I had more relaxed time and even got into the temple. Great area!!!
Uneo Park A great stroll around the Park, it was pretty sweet. I went inside the Zoo and at 600 Yen for the entrance it's not the best Zoo but it's always fun to see Pandas and Polar Bears. I didn't go to the other museums since it would take too much time.
Yanaka Cemetery Peaceful place and a vintage place to walk around.
Ginza - Random Walking but as a person who lives in a country that does not have 5 floors of Armani, this place is just fascinating to watch.
Meiji Jingu - Loved it, it felt great walking around
Yoyogi Park - Nice walk around I was amazed how many people were there doing their own thing from painting, sketching, practicing dancing or singing for Christmas.
Shibuya - This is where I found out that girl couldn't make it so I was a bit bummed walking around here. So I guess this is my Scarlet Johansson Tokyo Experience tongue.gif. Still it's amazing just going around the crowded area. Plus it was Halloween so I saw many girls wearing costumes. Let's up it this way if American Girls love dressing up as Catwoman, Japanese Girls love dressing up as Snow White but with her outfit tighter and the skirt shorter smile.gif
Edo-Tokyo Museum - I learned a lot about of Tokyo I even surprised my friend (who is Japanese living In Tokyo) about some of Tokyo's history. I had a personal english speaking guide in this Museum and he was really informative.
Artnia - This is the Square-Enix Themed Cafe located in front of the Square-Enix Building in Higashi-Shinjuku. The place was kind of cosy spent $15 on a Moogle Cappuccino and Chocobo Chocolate Pancake. Not bad though I was disappointed there was more Dragon Quest (which is fine) and recent Square-Enix stuff than their classics (Chrono Trigger anyone?).
Park Hyatt Hotel New York Bar Great view. Yes it's so much better than the Skytree view. They sat us in a Seat next to a view where you can see The Tokyo Tower and Skytree. I bought a Hibiki Whisky 17 years and my friend bought a beer, I treated him the beer and it cost me 3600 Yen, not that much more than the Skytree. I guess this was my Bill Murray experience. 
Tsukiji Fish Market I didn't wake up early enough for the Wholesale Market and much less than the Tuna thing. I was hoping I would have enough time to eat but the lines were super long so I just gave up and went around for a bit.
Shinjuku National Garden - It rained quite a bit but it's nice to walk around here though the 200 yen entrance fee was a bit of a surprise (though it was fine)
Roppongi Hill - Went to a Wine Bar with a few friends. My friend paid for the wine which cost him 55,000 yen. In other words that's almost twice the pocket money I brought to Tokyo. It was a fun night and we were pretty darn wasted.
Yokohama Chinatown - It was a Sunday so it was crowded as heck. But it was nice to see a clean Chinatown for a change (especially after going to the ones in Kuala Lumpur, New York, and Vancouver). Ate in a Buffet for 3000 Yen and spent 90 mins so it was 3000 yen worth it. Also went to the Trick Art Museum which is a lot of fun though it made me a bit dizzy.

SOme other places I went to in my original trip included Tokyo Tower (which actually has a better view than Sky Tree and it's cheaper) and Odaiba 

Kamakura and Hakone. Kamakura for sure.You can rent a bike and ride around.  I have lived in the Kanto area for a long time.  Some of the places recommended to you I don't think are very interesting.  For example Skytree was picked as one of the top 10 tourist traps in Asia, The Minato Mirai area in Yokohama has a lot of of interesting things to do and see all bunched in.  

@S'all Good Man Have just awoken to this serious task, & see you already have many helpful volunteers. I'm guessing with your confidence/wit, you'll hit that town harder than most.."Oh No! There goes Tokyo..."

Recommend watching Sofia Coppola's wonderful, 'Lost In Translation'..(course, you prob already have). Then try to re-live it, if you can afford such a hotel, & meet a babe like Scarlett.

To me, by the early 90's western civ had become a car wreck(was trapped inside!), & Japan was my "Jaws of life". I was obsessed with ladies of Asian features, & it was an ailment that I sought to cure, by confronting the matter, head-on. Like the west itself, my own life was a disaster at the time. Had a cousin here teachin' HS, & she helped me hit the ground runnin. After getting hitched with a lovely lass, one has to reinvent one's self(lol)

Like @Lancaster I love Osaka(Kansai), but I don't like crowded areas & busy trains. Most of my spare time I'm cycling, or trail running in surrounding hills/mtns.

I'll add a bit later, but I've gotta snort some coffee beans...

12 minutes ago, samurai said:

Kamakura and Hakone. Kamakura for sure.You can rent a bike and ride around.  I have lived in the Kanto area for a long time.  Some of the places recommended to you I don't think are very interesting.  For example Skytree was picked as one of the top 10 tourist traps in Asia, The Minato Mirai area in Yokohama has a lot of of interesting things to do and see all bunched in.  

Yeah, Kamakura was great.  It was a little more outside the city, and given his short stay, with work mixed in, I didn't know how likely it was.  Good to mention, though, for sure.  Lots to see, and it was interesting to be able to go inside the Buddha statue.

22 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

@S'all Good Man Have just awoken to this serious task, & see you already have many helpful volunteers. I'm guessing with your confidence/wit, you'll hit that town harder than most.."Oh No! There goes Tokyo..."

Recommend watching Sofia Coppola's wonderful, 'Lost In Translation'..(course, you prob already have). Then try to re-live it, if you can afford such a hotel, & meet a babe like Scarlett.

To me, by the early 90's western civ had become a car wreck(was trapped inside!), & Japan was my "Jaws of life". I was obsessed with ladies of Asian features, & it was an ailment that I sought to cure, by confronting the matter, head-on. Like the west itself, my own life was a disaster at the time. Had a cousin here teachin' HS, & she helped me hit the ground runnin. After getting hitched with a lovely lass, one has to reinvent one's self(lol)

Like @Lancaster I love Osaka(Kansai), but I don't like crowded areas & busy trains. Most of my spare time I'm cycling, or trail running in surrounding hills/mtns.

I'll add a bit later, but I've gotta snort some coffee beans...

Hey if my wife approves I'm all for it! :lol: 

Something else that another poster here reminded me of, you have to go to a mall if you like food. Even if you just ate and are looking to walk around. I only went to them in Kyoto, but the malls there have entire floors of food that put our disgusting pitiful food courts to absolute shame. This is coming from someone who avoids going to the mall at all costs, but the experience is altogether different. Japanese pastry is quite something, and so many bakeries have some famous French person plastered on the walls or windows, almost looking down on you. Seriously though, damn good croissants. Just look at the $300 strawberries, then go across the street and buy the $4 ones if you really want them. 

Brush up on your history by watching this before you go:

when I was in Korea we'd always head over there when we got leave. sometimes we couldn't wait so we'd get Radar to con Henry into signing a leave thinking he was signing a medical procurement or whatever. You could always count on that little guy to have your back. One time he conned Henry into discharging a lamb that the cook was going to prepare for Easter dinner and then he had it shipped home to the States lol...good times

5 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I'm pretty much an omnivore when it comes to food, love walking through places vs. tours, photography, and technology of all sorts. And museums. And sake. 

Just curious what stood out for others.

Its going to be a short trip, only 5 days with some unfortunate work time.  

Agreed with many of the suggestions already given.  Eat lots of ramen and try all sorts of food (wagyu, tsukemen ramen, shabu shabu, revolving sushi, okonomiyaki, have rice balls for breakfast from the 7-11's, get the drinks from the vending machines-- those are very good and cheap-- bonus points if you try natto!).   

Check out Ueno Park (don't waste your time with Imperial Palace), go to museums, go to shrines, and also save time for modern culture like Shinjuku, Harajuku (there was a very well-done samurai museum there that I'd recommend) and Shibuya, plus go to Odaiba.  Very cool locations.  If you know people in town, go with them and check out izakayas too.  Any mix of those and you'll likely have a very memorable trip.

Word of advice though, do your research beforehand and cluster destinations that are close to the same stop and hit those up on the same day, it'll help save both time and money and maximize your trip.  

4 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Agreed with many of the suggestions already given.  Eat lots of ramen and try all sorts of food (wagyu, tsukemen ramen, shabu shabu, revolving sushi, okonomiyaki, have rice balls for breakfast from the 7-11's, get the drinks from the vending machines-- those are very good and cheap-- bonus points if you try natto!).   

Check out Ueno Park (don't waste your time with Imperial Palace), go to museums, go to shrines, and also save time for modern culture like Shinjuku, Harajuku (there was a very well-done samurai museum there that I'd recommend) and Shibuya, plus go to Odaiba.  Very cool locations.  If you know people in town, go with them and check out izakayas too.  Any mix of those and you'll likely have a very memorable trip.

Word of advice though, do your research beforehand and cluster destinations that are close to the same stop and hit those up on the same day, it'll help save both time and money and maximize your trip.  

Thanks Phil +1 (I'm out!)

7 hours ago, Green Building said:

Something else that another poster here reminded me of, you have to go to a mall if you like food. Even if you just ate and are looking to walk around. I only went to them in Kyoto, but the malls there have entire floors of food that put our disgusting pitiful food courts to absolute shame. This is coming from someone who avoids going to the mall at all costs, but the experience is altogether different. Japanese pastry is quite something, and so many bakeries have some famous French person plastered on the walls or windows, almost looking down on you. Seriously though, damn good croissants. Just look at the $300 strawberries, then go across the street and buy the $4 ones if you really want them. 

Brush up on your history by watching this before you go:

Thats great - thanks ::D

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

No worries man. Thanks for reminding me that I want to go travelling real soon. 

My only issues is figuring how to duck out of some work sh!t :lol: That or just not sleep. 

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

My only issues is figuring how to duck out of some work sh!t :lol: That or just not sleep. 

If I were only going for 5 days I'd survive on 4-5 hours no problem. Drink, but don't drink so much it affects your morning plans. That's how you waste time you can't recover.

Archived