The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone been to Tokyo?

JM_

11 hours ago, Green Building said:

If I were only going for 5 days I'd survive on 4-5 hours no problem. Drink, but don't drink so much it affects your morning plans. That's how you waste time you can't recover.

Good advice.

But....If you're drinking with work people you're likely to end up at an all you can drink restaurant.... Yes they have those OP for about $20-30 you can get all you can drink beer. Be careful OP.

2 hours ago, taxi said:

Good advice.

But....If you're drinking with work people you're likely to end up at an all you can drink restaurant.... Yes they have those OP for about $20-30 you can get all you can drink beer. Be careful OP.

Haha, true. If he's going out with hard drinking salarymen to celebrate anything then it's RIP @S'all Good Man It's not the beer he'll need to worry about, it's when round after round after round of sake that's bought and paid for are added onto it.

So much fun.

46 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Haha, true. If he's going out with hard drinking salarymen to celebrate anything then it's RIP @S'all Good Man It's not the beer he'll need to worry about, it's when round after round after round of sake that's bought and paid for are added onto it.

So much fun.

A lot of places are "All-you-can-eat" and "All-you-can-drink".... this including alcoholic beverages.  

My wife used to tell me how she used to chug down entire pitchers of beer when she went drinking with co-workers.  

Also... there's the possibility that you might join your co-workers and superiors to one of them "biscuit and tea" establishments ;)

56 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

A lot of places are "All-you-can-eat" and "All-you-can-drink".... this including alcoholic beverages.  

My wife used to tell me how she used to chug down entire pitchers of beer when she went drinking with co-workers.  

Also... there's the possibility that you might join your co-workers and superiors to one of them "biscuit and tea" establishments ;)

Does your wife have a sister? Kidding. 

Is "biscuit and tea" code for Nigerian hanjo club? Or an actual Japanese tea ceremony? Not kidding.

I went to some gardens for tea, just for the experience. Very peaceful. The Gentlemans Clubs felt greasy when walking by and the urge to go in never struck. 

@S'all Good Man

You'll be fine, just practice this:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

So much fun.

It's also considered a huge faux pas for a subordinate to refuse an alcoholic beverage from a superior. Like it's a serious big deal if you go home early or refuse a drink, regardless of how sick or busy you are.

Nice knowing you OP....

Just now, taxi said:

It's also considered a huge faux pas for a subordinate to refuse an alcoholic beverage from a superior. Like it's a serious big deal if you go home early or refuse a drink, regardless of how sick or busy you are.

Nice knowing you OP....

That was the basis for my entire point, although I'm sure as the new generation takes over from the more traditional one these details increasingly more forgivable. His only hope is that the business associates aren't proud elder drinkers.

Tisn't'all Good Man

14 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Is "biscuit and tea" code for Nigerian hanjo club? Or an actual Japanese tea ceremony? Not kidding.

I went to some gardens for tea, just for the experience. Very peaceful. The Gentlemans Clubs felt greasy when walking by and the urge to go in never struck. 

@S'all Good Man

giphy.gif

:lol:

I was trying to figure out if "bisquit and tea" has some sort of red-light district connotation too. It would be interesting to look in the window but I'm just fine with home cooking thanks. 

14 minutes ago, Green Building said:

@S'all Good Man

giphy.gif

Sorry, both sisters are married, lol.

The "tea and biscuits" I'm referring to are located at Tobita Shinchi.... but I'm sure they probably have some places equivalent in Tokyo too.  Just make sure to stay away from those Nigerian places.  

22 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Japan is my favourite country in the world. You'll have a blast.

+1

I love Vancouver, I bleed Green and Blue (until if/when the Canucks change their colour scheme).... but Japan is just way better in lifestyle, IMHO. 

They have a wide range of restaurants, at least a couple of dozen within a few KM radius from where you are staying/living at.  Went to a pretty good Indian restaurant in Japan.... felt awkward when those Indians were speaking to me in Japanese... since as a Vancouverite, I expect all East Indians to be speaking in English, lol.  Sukiya and Coco Curry are perhaps my go-to place for latenight eats.  

Train stations blanketing most major cities, with many alternate routes, multiple companies operating near parallel routes, etc.  Most stations have guards around, so it always feel safe.  People know where to stand on trains, how to make room for others, etc... unlike folks on the skytrain here.  

Workers there are friendlier and more professional than here (on average).  It's like everyone is working on commission... except they're very friendly and helpful... and they actually don't get commission.  

I frequent SpaWorld and Konami club (yep, some company as the ones that developed Contra and other games).... nothing is more relaxing than hitting the gym for a good workout, then take a nice shower, then hop into a sauna/steamroom/etc, all with different mineral content, temperature, style, etc.  Afterwards you can go to the pool for a little swim too.  

Depending on the city, many are very well designed for people travelling on bicycle.  Major sidewalks are shared with cyclists with lots of markers and people seem to know how to avoid everybody else.  

There are also tons of festivals and events in your neighbourhood, local ward, city, prefecture, nationally, etc.  Catch a J-league baseball game, check out some cultural event at the local shrine, joining in for some matsuri down the street, etc.  

If you really want to be very low key and outdoor-ish.... the country side offers it all.  A nice walk in the park at Osaka Castle, a quiet B&B at Tottori, do some skiing/snowboarding at Nagano, visit some far-away shrine/temple at Osurezan, go camping at Hokkaido.  You can also hit the beaches and do some snorkeling at Satsuma or Okinawa too.

I recommend everyone should visit Japan for at least a month... and even that is too short.  

Archived