The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Gudbranson dilemma

Matt_T83

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Apologies if I missed anyone.

Original tweet you're all basing this (mis) information on:

Later tweet retracting original statement:

Hmmmm thanks for the clarification... guess we'll see how much he really wants! He'll have to really prove his worth when he's back from injury though...

Yeah, thanks as well for that.

I don't mind the guy.  He is a good complimentary player who helps add much needed physicality into our lineup.

But from what I've seen, he seems to have limited upside.  He isn't always decisive with the puck, and his stats continue to be very questionable.  

His next contract should reflect all these things.

Here's hoping.

23 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Yeah, thanks as well for that.

I don't mind the guy.  He is a good complimentary player who helps add much needed physicality into our lineup.

But from what I've seen, he seems to have limited upside.  He isn't always decisive with the puck, and his stats continue to be very questionable.  

His next contract should reflect all these things.

Here's hoping.

just because he has different tools in his tool box doesn't mean he's less effective.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

most/all players are.

Indeed.  But people act like Guddy is this huge difference maker.  His physical play stands out for sure, but still isn't anything amazing by leaguewide comparison.  Then the rest of his game is positively unspectacular.  Possesion and most other measurable stats are mediocre at best.  On a whole, his toolbox appears to be very, very limited.

...which is all perfectly ok if we sign him to Sbisa type money.  

Just now, kloubek said:

Indeed.  But people act like Guddy is this huge difference maker.  His physical play stands out for sure, but still isn't anything amazing by leaguewide comparison.  Then the rest of his game is positively unspectacular.  Possesion and most other measurable stats are mediocre at best.  On a whole, his toolbox appears to be very, very limited.

...which is all perfectly ok if we sign him to Sbisa type money.  

Very good skater for his size - at least his speed - his 360/lateral movement could stand to improve - but likely will - and he's a pretty huge guy, so there are reasonable limits to his quickness.

Hasn't been here long - and was working with a fairly struggling Hutton, on a depleted blueline where they were probably forced into more challenging minutes off the bat than ideal.

Gudbranson's possession numbers - ie a corsi of 47.2% under the circumstances - are better than suggested.

I think people tend to forget how young he actually is - and could probably stand to have more patience.

I have little doubt that by this time next year, for example, it'll become a lot clearer just how solid he is.

Archived