The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expiring Canuck Contracts (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Well, as many people have categorized me and others as a "Tankers", I would like to say That I have totally loved the hard work ethics that the Canuck team has employed, these past 6 games. I would say they have been lucky, have had great goal tending, but have also generated some good offense along the way. Not much different that any other team on a winning streak. But as a fan, I have enjoyed it immensely.

I did however, wonder where Hank and Dank were last night? I just didn't hear or see much of them last night creating offense......maybe just me. We did have alot of shots on us, and 2 waved off goals that helped, but we were competitive with another bubble team....I am ok with that, game to game, as all I really want it to be entertained by my team. We do however need to keep this in perspective........where our 6 wins have come from

At any rate, with these wins, I started again, to wondering exactly how our contract situation looks for the next 2 years.........just wanted to do a summary of the important contracts coming up, and get any thoughts you may have on them......

End of 2016-2017 Season                Current Contract Cap Hits                     Possible Contracts and Extentions

Bo Horvat.............RFA                            1.774 million per                            8 year deal at 6.000 million       (Edited Jan. 8th, 2017......consensus) 

Tryamkin..............RFA                            0.925 million per                            3 year deal at 2.750 million per

Gunbranson.........RFA                            3.500 million per                            2 year deal at 4.250 million per 

Miller.....................UFA                            6.000 million per                            1 year deal at 5.000 million per (He declines)

Burrows................UFA                            4.500 million per                            1 year deal at 2.500 million 

Gaunce................RFA                             0.833 million per                            10% increase, if not taken by Vegas

Tanev ..................NTC Clicks in                                                                    With the emergence of Tryamkin, Stetcher, and Gunbranson..........someone's going, I think?????

End of 2017-2018 Season                  Current Contract Cap Hits

Hank Sedin..........UFA                              7.000 million per                            1 year deals at 4.500 million

Dan Sedin............UFA                              7.000 million per                            1 year deals at 4.500 million

Hansen................UFA                              2,500 million per                            Traded or 2 year at 3.000 million per

Baertschi..............RFA                             1.850 million per                             3 years at 3.750 million per if he maintains production next year

Granlund..............RFA                             0.900 million per                             2 year deal at 1,5 million or he walks

Sbisa....................UFA                             3.600 million per                             10%  or traded if Vegas doesn't take him

Virtanen................RFA                             0.925 million per                             10% increase on a two way, he will be in Utica next year and the next if he doesn't grow up

Now, with the Broeser possibly coming in to the Canucks in the next 2 years, and possibly Virtanen (who AHL contract is 0.300 million per). This leads me to some big questions, as to who will be resigned, who will be traded and who will be let go!

First off, we do not have replacements for the Sedins, either as 2nd line players or 3rd line players, if there is no tank, and no replacement, watch for the Sedin's to sign a multiple of one year contracts over their next couple of years after their contracts expire. Because Burrows play has picked up as of late, watch for a 1 yr. deal. 

Watch for Miller to have a contract extention or walk away and sign south or us......Vegas, Ana, SJ......he would take a discount for a couple of years to play south, IMO. Gaunce gets a 10% raise on a 2way contract. 

The Big 3 RFA's, get various raises as stated above

Tanev is a big question mark, as "IF" they want to move him, it is now or never, according to Linden's "never as a vet to wave a NTC" Or we keep a darn good defenseman and be happy with what we got.

Hansen is such a special player and the league knows who he is, he is such a versatile player and with the apparent lack of depth in the system, he is a keeper and will be resigned, as his skates will never slow. Baertschi will be resigned next year (No Brainer). Granlund and Sbisa will still be a good soldiers that contribute as good soldiers do, that is "IF" Vegas doesn't take one of them......same goes for Gaunce really! 

This is the way, I see Linden and Benning going, and it will keep us in the middle (Bubble Team), as long as we have no major injuries. But keep this in mind. It will take major luck to find that 1st line player drafting in the 14th to 18th OA spot.......not saying it won't be done, but we will be fortunate, if this is our course.

Please remember, I am a "Tanker" by your definition, but I have enjoyed these wins,  lets see what happens as the competition gets better. But as a "tanker" this is the season to move players, if that is what you were going to do!

FLAME AWAY, COASTAL !

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is one of the best posts Alf has read on CDC.  You understand hockey.  We need to draft two elite talents.  The chances go up of finding those two players the higher we draft.  That's obvious to any true fan of our team.  

You don't have to be a "true fan" to understand simple facts.

But shouldn't true fans have at least a shred of dignity?

I don't think they should give Horvat a bridge deal. The team is not going to be very competitive in the short term so paying him more now will be of more benefit in the long term. I think Horvat has shown that he is worthy of a long term deal as well.

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

I don't think they should give Horvat a bridge deal. The team is not going to be very competitive in the short term so paying him more now will be of more benefit in the long term. I think Horvat has shown that he is worthy of a long term deal as well.

That is a good point Toews.......I am just having a little trouble with the long term number.......Horvat could be alot better with a strong right winger, which goes to your point, so maybe go long term, I just don't know that number is .........8 years at 6.00 million.......more? Less? I don't know??? Maybe that is where this conversation goes?

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

Agreed. A long term deal will mean some cap savings on the back end (which hopefully coincides with the point where we're contending and could use cap space to add pieces), compared to a bridge now and the resigning him when he's in his prime and has likely elevated his market value. 

Honestly you're bang on with quite a few... But I disagree to many. 

Here's a few off the top of my head 

Burrows 2-2.5 aav for a year or two 

Bo 5.25AAV for 5 years or 6 years 

Gudbranson... Rejected 16 mill over 4 years from Florida... At most I'd give him 4 mill over 3 or 4 years... If not let's trade him 

Miller, I hope he shows some loyalty to us after giving him 6 mill for 4 million dollar play. One year deal at 3 million to help us win the cup again the following year. 

Sbisa in 2018... I'd say around 7 years, 13 mill AAV or whatever league max is 

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

That is a good point Toews.......I am just having a little trouble with the long term number.......Horvat could be alot better with a strong right winger, which goes to your point, so maybe go long term, I just don't know that number is .........8 years at 6.00 million.......more? Less? I don't know??? Maybe that is where this conversation goes?

Baertschi - Horvat - BOESER!!

there's your right winger

Love this post. You get it.

When it comes to Miller, I get the feeling that he'll either sign again with the Canucks or probably roll the dice with Las Vegas (where, if he signs, he becomes the bonafide starter unless Marc Andre Fleury falls into their lap)... depending on the goalies they select. Vegas is much closer to LA, which is where his wife lives. However, Vegas will also be nowhere close to being in the playoff hunt next year -- which won't sit well with Miller. The problem with Miller is that he's still an excellent goalie -- who also wants his one last chance to win a cup. To win a cup with a West Coast team (not named the Canucks lol) -- he'll need to be okay with be either a 1B or backup... fits could be Anaheim (as Gibson's backup) or San Jose (as Jones's backup). The wild card here is that if Dallas decides to rid themselves of one of Lehetonen or Niemi by buying them out (or both) -- he could sneak over to Dallas to be their goalie -- which is what the Stars really need to be actually competitive (competent goaltending -- which Miller provides).

I won't be shocked to see Alex Burrows re-signed, given the season he is having. The guy is having a Matt Cullen-like NHL resurgence and it's amazing to watch. You can't really count him out. He's going to be a key, cheap mentor for the young guys and you need that with a franchise in transition. The smart play would be for Benning to deal Burrows for a picks + prospects to a contender at the deadline and sign Burrows back for a cheap contract (two years tops) in July.

I suspect the Canucks are going to lose one of Sbisa or Gaunce or Granlund at the Expansion draft. My money is on Sbisa being taken because he could actually slot into Vegas's top 4 very easily and defensemen are sought after and he could be a better trading chip for them over a Gaunce (who has little market value) or Granlund (better market value). If Sbisa is not taken, I suspect -- based on the performances of the younger d-men in our system -- he'll be dealt at the draft for picks. Potentially packaging the 2nd we most likely recieve from Columbus and him for a late first rounder....

I doubt Tanev is moved. He's too valuable to the Canucks. Unless you're getting a Landeskog or Duchene in return for Tanev, don't move him.

And like you, I suspect Boeser will be a Canuck starting late this year (after the college season ends... so he can burn a year off his entry deal) and continue into next season.

49 minutes ago, Toews said:

38 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Agreed. A long term deal will mean some cap savings on the back end (which hopefully coincides with the point where we're contending and could use cap space to add pieces), compared to a bridge now and the resigning him when he's in his prime and has likely elevated his market value. 

A long term deal also says "this is Bo's team" and I think that is important to help him lead.

46 minutes ago, apollo said:

Honestly you're bang on with quite a few... But I disagree to many. 

Here's a few off the top of my head 

Burrows 2-2.5 aav for a year or two 

Bo 5.25AAV for 5 years or 6 years 

Gudbranson... Rejected 16 mill over 4 years from Florida... At most I'd give him 4 mill over 3 or 4 years... If not let's trade him 

Miller, I hope he shows some loyalty to us after giving him 6 mill for 4 million dollar play. One year deal at 3 million to help us win the cup again the following year. 

Sbisa in 2018... I'd say around 7 years, 13 mill AAV or whatever league max is 

You're insane.

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, as many people have categorized me and others as a "Tankers", I would like to say That I have totally loved the hard work ethics that the Canuck team has employed, these past 6 games. I would say they have been lucky, have had great goal tending, but have also generated some good offense along the way. Not much different that any other team on a winning streak. But as a fan, I have enjoyed it immensely.

I did however, wonder where Hank and Dank were last night? I just didn't hear or see much of them last night creating offense......maybe just me. We did have alot of shots on us, and 2 waved off goals that helped, but we were competitive with another bubble team....I am ok with that, game to game, as all I really want it to be entertained by my team. We do however need to keep this in perspective........where our 6 wins have come from

At any rate, with these wins, I started again, to wondering exactly how our contract situation looks for the next 2 years.........just wanted to do a summary of the important contracts coming up, and get any thoughts you may have on them......

End of 2016-2017 Season                Current Contract Cap Hits                     Possible Contracts and Extentions

Bo Horvat.............RFA                            1.774 million per                            2 year bridge deal at 4.250 million per

Tryamkin..............RFA                            0.925 million per                            3 year deal at 2.750 million per

Gunbranson.........RFA                            3.500 million per                            2 year deal at 4.250 million per 

Miller.....................UFA                            6.000 million per                            1 year deal at 5.000 million per (He declines)

Burrows................UFA                            4.500 million per                            1 year deal at 2.500 million 

Gaunce................RFA                             0.833 million per                            10% increase, if not taken by Vegas

Tanev ..................NTC Clicks in                                                                    With the emergence of Tryamkin, Stetcher, and Gunbranson..........someone's going, I think?????

End of 2017-2018 Season                  Current Contract Cap Hits

Hank Sedin..........UFA                              7.000 million per                            1 year deals at 4.500 million

Dan Sedin............UFA                              7.000 million per                            1 year deals at 4.500 million

Hansen................UFA                              2,500 million per                            Traded or 2 year at 3.000 million per

Baertschi..............RFA                             1.850 million per                             3 years at 3.750 million per if he maintains production next year

Granlund..............RFA                             0.900 million per                             2 year deal at 1,5 million or he walks

Sbisa....................UFA                             3.600 million per                             10%  or traded if Vegas doesn't take him

Virtanen................RFA                             0.925 million per                             10% increase on a two way, he will be in Utica next year and the next if he doesn't grow up

Now, with the Broeser possibly coming in to the Canucks in the next 2 years, and possibly Virtanen (who AHL contract is 0.300 million per). This leads me to some big questions, as to who will be resigned, who will be traded and who will be let go!

First off, we do not have replacements for the Sedins, either as 2nd line players or 3rd line players, if there is no tank, and no replacement, watch for the Sedin's to sign a multiple of one year contracts over their next couple of years after their contracts expire. Because Burrows play has picked up as of late, watch for a 1 yr. deal. 

Watch for Miller to have a contract extention or walk away and sign south or us......Vegas, Ana, SJ......he would take a discount for a couple of years to play south, IMO. Gaunce gets a 10% raise on a 2way contract. 

The Big 3 RFA's, get various raises as stated above

Tanev is a big question mark, as "IF" they want to move him, it is now or never, according to Linden's "never as a vet to wave a NTC" Or we keep a darn good defenseman and be happy with what we got.

Hansen is such a special player and the league knows who he is, he is such a versatile player and with the apparent lack of depth in the system, he is a keeper and will be resigned, as his skates will never slow. Baertschi will be resigned next year (No Brainer). Granlund and Sbisa will still be a good soldiers that contribute as good soldiers do, that is "IF" Vegas doesn't take one of them......same goes for Gaunce really! 

This is the way, I see Linden and Benning going, and it will keep us in the middle (Bubble Team), as long as we have no major injuries. But keep this in mind. It will take major luck to find that 1st line player drafting in the 14th to 18th OA spot.......not saying it won't be done, but we will be fortunate, if this is our course.

Please remember, I am a "Tanker" by your definition, but I have enjoyed these wins,  lets see what happens as the competition gets better. But as a "tanker" this is the season to move players, if that is what you were going to do!

FLAME AWAY, COASTAL !

Bo Horvat.............RFA                            1.774 million per                            2 year bridge deal at 4.250 million per

optimistic not very realistic that any if at all any contracts or extension at low prices with exception of maybe Gaunce.Let Burrows roll off into retirement or picks at TDL,Bo is gonna be a min at least 5 million an no bridge.Guddy is gonna be at least 5 Miller can fly the kite to California after this year,Tanev needs to be traded for picks or #1 prospects .The salary cap freed up will allow the team to move forward an even perhaps look at one other ufa after this season. the next year is to far off on the radar but your numbers are very conservative you must be an accountant good effort here for puting out the Bell curve of caps an contracts.

We still need at least another center an a puck moving D who can contribute to the offense

I think Tanev should be moved if there is value. We need to use our depth on D to add up front. I am not big on a young player with a big contract. I would want Colorado's first and Yost. That kind of deal.

At this point we are going to lose a D man or one of Granlund or  Baer. Would it be wise to just let one go. Maybe.

I still say Trevor should ask the twins to waive their NMC's. then expose them in the expansion draft, using the freed 2 protections to keep Sbisa as well as both Baer and Granny.  Realistically, Vegas aren't going to select 1 twin without getting the other.

I really think the Horvat deal bites us in the tail when he commands 7m long term 2 years from now get that kid locked up long term even if it costs 5.5m. No way Tryamkin signs that if he's patient another team will offer him more and on more term and as we have seen patience and playing his cards is not something he is gonna think twice about. Gud walks period. I hope JB isn't this cheep or everything he has worked to build will fall.

Archived