The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expiring Canuck Contracts (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

The speed of today's game seems to giving the Twins trouble, they are now Second line players. I would not trade Hansen, Granlund is cap friendly, Baer coming into his own ect  . I will say it again, I would expose Gaunce or try to move him. I also wonder with Galagher being out for 8 weeks if Burr might waive for a cup run and get us a second round pick? You can resign him in the summer ala vermette. We need Gudys size on the back end(pardon) but he should not get more than 4.75. If Jake ever figures it out and Brock can come in along with Bo being our best player then things are looking much better.  

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

I still say Trevor should ask the twins to waive their NMC's. then expose them in the expansion draft, using the freed 2 protections to keep Sbisa as well as both Baer and Granny.  Realistically, Vegas aren't going to select 1 twin without getting the other.

Then the league fines the Canucks their next two first round picks for "attempting to circumvent the expansion rules".     I'm more than half serious.

I still say Trevor should ask the twins to waive their NMC's. then expose them in the expansion draft, using the freed 2 protections to keep Sbisa as well as both Baer and Granny.  Realistically, Vegas aren't going to select 1 twin without getting the other.

Sure they would.  The rest of the league doesn't think it's impossible to have only one twin on the team.  The salary might scare them off, but at the right paycheck, there are probably 30 other teams that would be happy to have only Henrik or Daniel.

1 hour ago, garthsbutcher said:

The speed of today's game seems to giving the Twins trouble, they are now Second line players. I would not trade Hansen, Granlund is cap friendly, Baer coming into his own ect  . I will say it again, I would expose Gaunce or try to move him. I also wonder with Galagher being out for 8 weeks if Burr might waive for a cup run and get us a second round pick? You can resign him in the summer ala vermette. We need Gudys size on the back end(pardon) but he should not get more than 4.75. If Jake ever figures it out and Brock can come in along with Bo being our best player then things are looking much better.  

Players that are not protected are exposed.  Gaunce is for sure exposed as well as Chaput.  

There are only 7 protection spots for Fs.  Henrik, Daniel, Eriksson must be protected because of their NMCs + Horvat, Sutter, Hansen leaving one spot open.

43 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Tanev has some freak/unlucky injuries, but other injuries are a result of him lacking elusiveness and being unable to avoid hits on the forecheck. He'd be my candidate for a trade in terms of guys on the back-end. 

As his injuries continue I would agree. 

It's 7Fs + 3Ds 

or 8 skaters which allows to protect 4Ds but then only 4Fs.

19 minutes ago, gurn said:

Then the league fines the Canucks their next two first round picks for "attempting to circumvent the expansion rules".     I'm more than half serious.

Teams can ask players to waive their NMC for expansion.

54 minutes ago, gurn said:

After the Luongo rule... nothing would be a surprise... you could be close to the truth.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Tanev has some freak/unlucky injuries, but other injuries are a result of him lacking elusiveness and being unable to avoid hits on the forecheck. He'd be my candidate for a trade in terms of guys on the back-end. 

We've been talking trade Tanev for a young top forward for a long time on CDC.  JB won't do it though.  It looks like we will lose Sbisa, as a consequence, in expansion.  

Trade Tanev and one of Baer/Granlund (whoever you don't want to protect) for an exempt forward upgrade (say Domi or similar).

Horvat long term, 8 year deal IMO. 

Guddy  $4-$4.75 depending on term. 

Miller for 1-2 but only at $3.5'ish or I look at UFA's.

Prefer to retain Hansen over Burr but we might lose Hansen for next year via expansion. If we do, I'd consider re-signing Burr for a year (and then try to re-acquire Hansen next summer).

Need to trade up to draft top 6 C (or luck out on a Boeser-esque C find).

If we trade/protect Tanev and Baer/Granlund, that means we likely lose Hansen or Gaunce. 

Next year:

Domi, Horvat, Boeser 

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen / Burr

Granlund/Baer/Rodin, Sutter, Eriksson

Prospect, Chaput, Dorsett

Edler, Stetcher 

Hutton, Gudbranson 

Sbisa, Tryamkin 

Pedan? , Biega?, Larsen?, UFA? 

Markstrom, Miller/UFA 

(Maybe move Sbisa at TDL and call up Brisebois? )

Year following:

Domi, Horvat, Boeser 

Baer/Granlund/Rodin, drafted C, Eriksson

Virtanen, Sutter, Hansen

4th line (Chaput, Lockwood, Labate, UFA  etc? )

Edler, Stetcher 

Hutton, Gudbranson 

Juolevi, Tryamkin 

Pedan, Subban? 

most UFA's we should let go as we have some talent to take their place,but D Sbisa should be the one going to vegas if not Granlund, baer ot Gaunce.

jake should still be a year away after this season Boesser should step in,Olli should make the team next year or play then sent down to the AHL.I would resign Miller for a year to give demko enough time to be comfy coming into the NHL.

I think we need a 1C less we put Bo there as the twins are starting to slow down enough to not be a 1st line.

after the draft we will have more talent for the future as Benning picks good so in 3 years we will be awesome!!!!

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

That is a good point Toews.......I am just having a little trouble with the long term number.......Horvat could be alot better with a strong right winger, which goes to your point, so maybe go long term, I just don't know that number is .........8 years at 6.00 million.......more? Less? I don't know??? Maybe that is where this conversation goes?

With the way he's playing and his commitment to improving that contract would be a steal by year 3. Lock up our future captain before his value keeps going up.

The solution for the expansion is to ask Edler to waive his NTC and trade him for a 1st or forward prospect with no need of protection.

In this case we get something for Edler and lose probably Granlund as we can protect Sbisa, Baertschi, Hansen..

Or if Edler doesen't want to waive then expose him to expansion as it would mean he would never waive and hes too old for the new core and we need to make some room for Stecher, Tryamkin, Juolevi on D. Las Vegas would take Edler for sure and we would keep our young forwards.

42 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

The solution for the expansion is to ask Edler to waive his NTC and trade him for a 1st or forward prospect with no need of protection.

In this case we get something for Edler and lose probably Granlund as we can protect Sbisa, Baertschi, Hansen..

Or if Edler doesen't want to waive then expose him to expansion as it would mean he would never waive and hes too old for the new core and we need to make some room for Stecher, Tryamkin, Juolevi on D. Las Vegas would take Edler for sure and we would keep our young forwards.

I don't think we can expose Edler to the Expassion draft, as he has a NTC, which makes him exempt, and needs to be protected. 

2 hours ago, Nathancanuck said:

I thought only players with a NMC need to be protected?

Yeah, you could be right on that.......I read it so many times on here, back and forth..........I probably am wrong........anyone want to set me straight on this.

I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate on the Horvat deal...of course we should sign Horvat to a long term deal...but would Bo accept the offer? If I'm his agent, parents, girlfriend, dog etc etc, I'm advising the kid to take a 2 year bridge and wait and see where the Canucks are headed. Not what we'd wanna hear as Canucks fans, but reality nonetheless.

Archived