The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laine gets rocked

Mackcanuck

46 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Looks clean to me.

Wasn't blindside, puck was in the area (though he made no attempt to play it), head wasn't the main point of contact, wasn't charging, and didn't leave his feet to make the hit. 

What do you mean he made no attempt to play it??  He touched it and it slid off his stick.....

Not to be a jerk or anything. Can't coaches try and get players to make better decisions with their passes? I get it, pass it to Laine generates offence. But he had a player in his skating lane. Maybe hold onto the puck for a second or two longer and make sure Laine is more open and in the clear? I know sports you have to think fast, and it's easy to say in hindsight. But some of these blind passes, I'm not surprised more players don't get rocked, in open ice, or heaven forbid working on the boards. 

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not to be a jerk or anything. Can't coaches try and get players to make better decisions with their passes? I get it, pass it to Laine generates offence. But he had a player in his skating lane. Maybe hold onto the puck for a second or two longer and make sure Laine is more open and in the clear? I know sports you have to think fast, and it's easy to say in hindsight. But some of these blind passes, I'm not surprised more players don't get rocked, in open ice, or heaven forbid working on the boards. 

Watch how the play develops and ask yourself if that was an option though:

The only play was slide it to Laine, or chip it off the boards and likely turn it over or get his other team mate smoked. It was a bit of a suicide pass, but Laine should have seen that blue jersey in the wide open white ice before he tucked his head down to collect that pass. 

Your comment about speed of the game is pretty accurate, sometimes these plays happen.

Clean solid hit....but I do hate seeing guys getting hurt like that. Its pretty clear McCabes intent was to level a guy who was not expecting it...but I do give him credit for doing it in a legal way...not like those POS Leafs. Laine will probably take away lesson from this.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

Watch how the play develops and ask yourself if that was an option though:

The only play was slide it to Laine, or chip it off the boards and likely turn it over or get his other team mate smoked. It was a bit of a suicide pass, but Laine should have seen that blue jersey in the wide open white ice before he tucked his head down to collect that pass. 

Your comment about speed of the game is pretty accurate, sometimes these plays happen.

I get it. Fast speed, split second timing. I guess I'm just the type that would rather take a hit to make a play than see a team-mate get caught in a position like that. It was sort of a no-win situation. I'm not trying to point fingers. I'm just wondering if this is something that could be improved with better coaching? 

Archived