The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laine gets rocked

Mackcanuck

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I get it. Fast speed, split second timing. I guess I'm just the type that would rather take a hit to make a play than see a team-mate get caught in a position like that. It was sort of a no-win situation. I'm not trying to point fingers. I'm just wondering if this is something that could be improved with better coaching? 

I hear what you're saying. Maybe Scheifele should have fed the man in the boards and hoped he made center for a dump in, but I don't know if that's Winnipeg's game or not. Maybe he could have quickly cut inside and chipped it to the open wall past center. Maybe Scheifele saw McCabe and figured Laine had enough speed to make a move around him. I still think Laine should have recognized he wasn't alone and chipped it up himself. 

I didn't see your post as finger pointing, but I'm still happy to play devils advocate sometimes if for no other reason that the sake of discussion. I honestly don't know what a coach could teach his players to avoid that play. 

7 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Clean hit and I understand the retribution attack by Scheifele but this is getting out of hand in the NHL. 

Fighting is pretty much gone, and now after a big hit its a line brawl every time. 

I hate the instigator penalty, but it's more than that. When the league moved toward parity and enforcers were squeezed out of the game it was only a matter of time before this kind of thing becoming commonplace. I don't think it's any coincidence that these things all developed within a few years of each other.

I guess it's just my football experience. Nothing made me more sorry for the receiver going into double coverage and the QB passes the ball, and there really wasn't a play, and seeing a player get nuked. It was great when he bounced up, and it worked. I know in sports stuff happens. An errant stick, puck, bad play, awkward positioning, etc. 

Good insights Green. 

4 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I hate the instigator penalty, but it's more than that. When the league moved toward parity and enforcers were squeezed out of the game it was only a matter of time before this kind of thing becoming commonplace. I don't think it's any coincidence that these things all developed within a few years of each other.

Yup and it will only get worse. 

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I guess it's just my football experience. Nothing made me more sorry for the receiver going into double coverage and the QB passes the ball, and there really wasn't a play, and seeing a player get nuked. It was great when he bounced up, and it worked. I know in sports stuff happens. An errant stick, puck, bad play, awkward positioning, etc. 

Good insights Green. 

:lol:

I was going to make a quarterback analogy but left it out of the hockey talk. Now that you've brought it up, I think a QB has the advantage since he's reading coverage upfield without moving toward it. Most of the time he's just waiting for the game (defence) to come to him. In the case of hockey there's even less time.

This is coming from someone who's never taken a professional snap, or a professional faceoff either for that matter, so you know, grains of salt.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Timing? 

rome was suspended 4 or 5 CUP FINAL GAMES.the equivolent of 20 to 30 reg season games.the most severe suspension in the history of the stanley cup finals.why?jeremy jacobs owns the bruins and is chairman of the league.we got reamed royaly in that series.hockey gods are watching MFers.

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Clean hit and I understand the retribution attack by Scheifele but this is getting out of hand in the NHL. 

Fighting is pretty much gone, and now after a big hit its a line brawl every time. 

every hit now is retribution...this is the NHL    suck it up..its hockey...these guys should of played in the original 6 and see how far they would get.

15 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

every hit now is retribution...this is the NHL    suck it up..its hockey...these guys should of played in the original 6 and see how far they would get.

NHL - No Hitting League 

Archived