The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laine gets rocked

Mackcanuck

Just another prime example of why the NHL ice size needs to get bigger. This will be more of a trend as years go on and it's going to suck for the NHL seeing young stars injured because of it. And all the blame will be on the owners because their too greedy, and don't want to spend and lose the seating to protect their own players sad. 

20 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not to be a jerk or anything. Can't coaches try and get players to make better decisions with their passes? I get it, pass it to Laine generates offence. But he had a player in his skating lane. Maybe hold onto the puck for a second or two longer and make sure Laine is more open and in the clear? I know sports you have to think fast, and it's easy to say in hindsight. But some of these blind passes, I'm not surprised more players don't get rocked, in open ice, or heaven forbid working on the boards. 

Kind of a suicide pass, but clean hit for sure

McCabe did his job there. Sad for Laine and the Jets, but hopefully it's a mild concussion and they allow him to recover fully before he returns.

40 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Just another prime example of why the NHL ice size needs to get bigger. This will be more of a trend as years go one and it's going to suck for the NHL seeing young stars injured because of it. And all the blame will be on the owners because their too greedy, and don't want to spend and lose the seating to protect their own players sad. 

Has nothing to do with ice size, these hits have been going on since the beginning of hockey! I don't know if you were around to see Bure play but everyone tried to hit him but he always was able to see it coming and would let the puck by him and dodge the hit. Some guys need to learn to play like that, i haven't seen Laine much but hopefully he can learn from this. Reminds me of Eric Lindros who skated like that all the time.

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Has nothing to do with ice size, these hits have been going on since the beginning of hockey! I don't know if you were around to see Bure play but everyone tried to hit him but he always was able to see it coming and would let the puck by him and dodge the hit. Some guys need to learn to play like that, i haven't seen Laine much but hopefully he can learn from this. Reminds me of Eric Lindros who skated like that all the time.

Lindros had a real problem of never keeping his head up. And it cost him. Laine was given a pass and he was trying to control the puck. Even if he kept his head up, he was right in the skating lane, there was going to be impact. 

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Lindros had a real problem of never keeping his head up. And it cost him. Laine was given a pass and he was trying to control the puck. Even if he kept his head up, he was right in the skating lane, there was going to be impact. 

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That's why i mentioned Bure as when in that situation he would let the puck go through and avoid the hit, no one could ever get solid contact on him.  Cliff Ronning another obviously because of his size but no one could hit him open ice.

14 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I think your missing the point I made about how players in the NHL are much faster now a days and it's going to continue. (My bad regarding comment about being faster that was another post) Comparing players to when Bure played to players now, isn't even close to being the same lol. Coaching and positioning players back in the 90's to now isn't even in the same sentence. Bure had more time to react because players weren't in proper position like now, and players weren't as fast and quick to transition like now then in the 90's. The game is changing whether you want to acknowledge it or not, it's not the same as in the 90's. 

Great hit, Tough for the Peg and Laine. I hope he bounces back from this without losing a step. 

Its unfortunate, but these things happen in Sports. They get compensated the way they do because of the risks involved. All sports, not even contact sports have an element of danger. 

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I think your missing the point I made about how players in the NHL are much faster now a days and it's going to continue. (My bad regarding comment about being faster that was another post) Comparing players to when Bure played to players now, isn't even close to being the same lol. Coaching and positioning players back in the 90's to now isn't even in the same sentence. Bure had more time to react because players weren't in proper position like now, and players weren't as fast and quick to transition like now then in the 90's. The game is changing whether you want to acknowledge it or not, it's not the same as in the 90's. 

No i was just mentioning players that couldn't be hit. Watch the Sedins when it is a situation like that they pull up and let the puck go. I don't every recall a Sedin getting nailed n an open ice hit like that. i would argue that there are less open ice hits now as the game is so fast that dmen are not willing to take a chance to be caught out of position if they don't get it right. 

8 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

No i was just mentioning players that couldn't be hit. Watch the Sedins when it is a situation like that they pull up and let the puck go. I don't every recall a Sedin getting nailed n an open ice hit like that. i would argue that there are less open ice hits now as the game is so fast that dmen are not willing to take a chance to be caught out of position if they don't get it right. 

Well the Sedins for one aren't as fast as some skilled players are, but no your right they'd rather give up the puck then get nailed, which is smart but is it enjoyable as a fan? I'd say no. 

Yes open ice hits are down, but concussions are way up.... Players now are hit with much more force and quicker now when receiving the puck, then back in the 90's. There used to be way more open ice back in the 90's, because of positioning and all players in general weren't as all around skilled as they are now and FAST. Suspensions and fines have slowed down open ice hits and head contact, but the time to react to hits now compared to back then is way less time. 

Do you enjoy 3 on 3? And 4 on 4 hockey? I'm sure you do like I do, because there is so much more open ice to see what these skilled players can do, except I'd rather it still be 5 on 5 with that much more open ice. We see it now with players playing 3 on 3 and 4 on 4, they aren't worrying as much to get nailed the second they touch the puck. That's how 5 on 5 needs to get back too like in the 90's where there was more open ice. To do that though is making the ice surface bigger, enough with tinking with all the rules to make it safer or more exciting. Bigger ice will generate a more exciting game and safer in general, unfortunately like I said it won't happen until owners give in. 

Archived