The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laine gets rocked

Mackcanuck

There are so few open ice clean hits like this anymore. I for one like that they happen, it is part of the game. Not the resulting concussions, but like someone said its a contact sport.

I also think they are much more cognizant of concussions than they used to be. It used to be called getting your bell rung. Shake it off and get back out there. 

The real problem are the concussions from the stupid hits from behind near the boards or primary predatory contact to the head. Those seem to be fair game on the Canucks. Those are the hits that are not needed in the game.

4 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well the Sedins for one aren't as fast as some skilled players are, but no your right they'd rather give up the puck then get nailed, which is smart but is it enjoyable as a fan? I'd say no. 

Yes open ice hits are down, but concussions are way up.... Players now are hit with much more force and quicker now when receiving the puck, then back in the 90's. There used to be way more open ice back in the 90's, because of positioning and all players in general weren't as all around skilled as they are now and FAST. Suspensions and fines have slowed down open ice hits and head contact, but the time to react to hits now compared to back then is way less time. 

Do you enjoy 3 on 3? And 4 on 4 hockey? I'm sure you do like I do, because there is so much more open ice to see what these skilled players can do, except I'd rather it still be 5 on 5 with that much more open ice. We see it now with players playing 3 on 3 and 4 on 4, they aren't worrying as much to get nailed the second they touch the puck. That's how 5 on 5 needs to get back too like in the 90's where there was more open ice. To do that though is making the ice surface bigger, enough with tinking with all the rules to make it safer or more exciting. Bigger ice will generate a more exciting game and safer in general, unfortunately like I said it won't happen until owners give in. 

Since the new head hitting rules came into effect, concussions have gone down. You can't compare what you are seeing today vs back in the 90s where teams had no idea about the dangers of concussions and many of them went unreported. Heck the Devils are facing a case right now against a former enforcer for withholding information about a concussion a doctor warned them about which they blamed on dehydration. Concussions were always prevalent, they just haven't started taking them seriously until recently.

This was a textbook clean hit, absolutely a good hockey play. I think too many guys don't think to protect themselves these days.

The plays I don't like are the late hits when guys charge in well after the play, these are not hockey plays in the sense that the purpose is to separate a player from the puck as in Ferklund on Tram-man last night.

37 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

This was a textbook clean hit, absolutely a good hockey play. I think too many guys don't think to protect themselves these days.

The plays I don't like are the late hits when guys charge in well after the play, these are not hockey plays in the sense that the purpose is to separate a player from the puck as in Ferklund on Tram-man last night.

I had no problem with ferlunds hit on tram whatsoever.  

Jeez lol. There is nothing wrong with the hit itself, I don't think McCabe wanted to hit him the way he did as if you guys actually watched the game he had a huge cut on his face afterwards and only came back for the last 2 or so minutes. With a ton of stiches.

They basically clashed faces lol. Laine obviously took the brunt of it as he was busy staring at the puck but yeah, nothing wrong with it. This is part of the game. 

Concussions are a part of the game when people sign up. Was tough to see him on the ice unable to get up but it's probably better than him not getting literally ko'd and being up and playing shortly thereafter taking more bumps and damage. The lights go out for a reason. I'm no neuroscientist but I believe this happens to prevent further injury. 

It doesn't sound like he had a severe concussion that will keep him out a super long time, but I guess we will see. You never now in some cases.

It's funny being a fan of both Jets and Canucks its pretty wild to see the reactions by a lot of you saying he deserved it for some reason... Salty much? Have some class lol. Laine isn't some villian that we have some longstanding bitter rivalry with. 

13 hours ago, Toews said:

Since the new head hitting rules came into effect, concussions have gone down. You can't compare what you are seeing today vs back in the 90s where teams had no idea about the dangers of concussions and many of them went unreported. Heck the Devils are facing a case right now against a former enforcer for withholding information about a concussion a doctor warned them about which they blamed on dehydration. Concussions were always prevalent, they just haven't started taking them seriously until recently.

Because of the fear of lawsuits.

On 1/7/2017 at 5:17 PM, Salmonberries said:

I hate this. So many concussions these days. It's very discouraging.

i think there's about the same amount of concussions but now the awareness of the long term effects is better so the protocol is much better.guys used to play through it before.good way to spend the rest of your life punch drunk.keenon would publicly shame his players if they didn't play through it.there were lots of coaches like that.

On 1/7/2017 at 2:22 PM, darkpoet said:

Heck yeah it is! Scott Stevens style!

Somewhere... Ken Dryden is working his way through a box of Kleenex......

Not really. A lot of Stevens' hits were dirty as hell where the head was the main point of contact. He would've been suspended many times in the modern NHL.

11 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Ironic.

Same deal

Keep your head up indeed, or you're gonna get rocked.

So, Laine gets rocked when his upper chest is principal point of contact and smacks his head on the ice. Steven rides up and elbows Lindros in the head. I don't understand what the difficulty here is in understanding "principal point of contact", which has been the standard for years in the NHL now...

29 minutes ago, Moonshinefe said:

So, Laine gets rocked when his upper chest is principal point of contact and smacks his head on the ice. Steven rides up and elbows Lindros in the head. I don't understand what the difficulty here is in understanding "principal point of contact", which has been the standard for years in the NHL now...

Yep and one great hockey player's career changed forever that day. Wonder what Big E could have done had he stayed healthy.

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Is there video?

its been a while and I don't recall it being that late.  Looked like a guy finishing his check like our guys should but never do.

Here is a clip

Not sure how late this is, can't see how far away the puck is the puck is.

Tram had to leave for the dressing room for 10 minutes

The Flames scored twice while he was gone!

giphy.gif

Archived