The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Flames

-Vintage Canuck-

Thought we played better tonight than last night.  Flames were more physical.  Not a fan of Willies deployment but oh well.  Need to start another win streak. Call up Pedan and actually play him but not convinced WD will. 

I can see why Eriksson doesnt play with the sedins much , he looks so uninspired out there and doesnt compliment them in anyway. And i still say they need to get rid of Edler, he looked absolutely brutal on that second goal and he provides no offense at all. So many of his shots are blocked or miss the net. When was the last time youve seen him rush the puck up and create a chance like Hutton or Stetcher do ?  Way too much money for what he provides this team

Only 5 available D, and because of it the Flames targeted our defensemen. Tryamkin, Stecher and Sbisa all took some very hard hits, probably sore all game. On top of that, Edler was asked to play a ton last night and probably didn't have much left in the tank for tonight. Because of that, the breakouts were sloppy and the D didn't really activate like they usually do. Many times, I saw the D back off on pinches they usually would have made, and fatigue is the key reason for that.

I'm surprised that after taking a beating in the shot totals last night, that the Canucks still had this much energy left for today's game. No one seemed to be taking any shifts off and the forwards were really battling, even though the Flames forwards were aggressive and hitting hard. It's unfortunate that Markstrom let that last one in right as were building a little momentum with a strong powerplay, but he was good tonight - we can't expect a superhuman performance every night. 

All things considered, the Canucks played a good game, and kept the intensity up all game - something this team never seems to lack. The effort is always there, regardless of the outcome, and there's not much more you can ask for. 

Let's start a new streak next game!

Edit: I just had to mention this, since it was such a hot topic in the GDT. This was not the game to play Rodin. The Flames were looking to be physical and Rodin didn't look particularly comfortable last night. Yes, he was dressed, but only as insurance. I think Rodin himself was okay with the situation, because he wants nothing more than to be playing games all the time, but he can't do that until he's at full strength.

I don't know why Willie is under fire so much tonight. In fact, he did what CDC has been asking for - he put Eriksson on the Sedin line and took Megna off. And it didn't help the Sedin line much, and hurt the Sutter/Granlund line immensely. They weren't noticeable all game. There's a reason Eriksson is slotted on that Sutter line, and it's been effective. Let's lay off the Willie hate a bit - it's not easy to manage a game on a back-to-back, especially not when your D loses it's top shutdown man, and then loses another defenseman right before the game. Willie has the players motivated and many of them are playing above expectations. I think the hate is unjustified.

Little jonny at the beach.                                                                         Little jonny playing cool

jh3.jpegjh2.jpeg

Little jonny hitting on the ladies after informing burkie that the plane has arrived and he's supposed to drive someone to the airport.

jh1.jpeg

Wasn't for lack of trying for the most part. Glad Tryamkin  made it back into the game but think both he and sbisa were playing hurt.

Can't win them all.

Wonder what the real story is with Rodin? Will we ever know?

Archived