The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Potential NCAA free agents

Another 2 months to go until college players decide to turn pro. Just curious as to which players to watch or keep an eye on. Nothing cooler than having a gem fall into a teams lap. Stecher was an absolute shot in the arm for this team and we've been reaping the benefits of Tanev for how long now. Sucks we couldn't convince Drake Cagguila to join as he could've also really helped.

A few players that come to mind are Northwestern U players such as Zach Aston-Reese,  and Garret Cockrell. 

Aston-Reese is a Sr. with decent size,

Garret Cockrell is a stocky right shot D that likes to lay the lumber and is having a decent season offensively. Both teammates of Gaudette.

Mike Vecchione has bagged 18 goals already in 21 games. C/RW for Union

Alex Kerfoot, local guy getting it done for Harvard

Great to see other names and possible scouting reports

Tyson Baille currently playing at UofA. Was PPG+ in the WHL.

Not the biggest guy but always seemed to be in the right spot to make an impact... so he's got brains in there. Wasn't afraid to muck it out when he had to either. Saw him play live a couple of times, chewed up PG pretty hard. Mind you everyone else did too, but I noticed him out there.

1 minute ago, brownky said:

Not the biggest guy but always seemed to be in the right spot to make an impact... so he's got brains in there. Wasn't afraid to muck it out when he had to either. Saw him play live a couple of times, chewed up PG pretty hard. Mind you everyone else did too, but I noticed him out there.

Ya, hard to wonder why 30 teams have passed on this guy for so long. Would he end up playing in Alaska by coming here?

10 minutes ago, brownky said:

Yea I never understood why he never got drafted. Definetly worth a contract IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

Yea I never understood why he never got drafted. Definetly worth a contract IMO. 

I always assumed it was to do with his 'just' 5'11" height.

You can't teach hockey sense and he has it. Maybe the rest of his game just isn't there over a longer term (beating up on PG isn't exactly a great indicator of skills) but it's good foundation.

16 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Ya, hard to wonder why 30 teams have passed on this guy for so long. Would he end up playing in Alaska by coming here?

The way Utica is I imagine he'd be fine there too.

51 minutes ago, brownky said:

I always assumed it was to do with his 'just' 5'11" height.

You can't teach hockey sense and he has it. Maybe the rest of his game just isn't there over a longer term (beating up on PG isn't exactly a great indicator of skills) but it's good foundation.

The way Utica is I imagine he'd be fine there too.

His size would definitely be a knock against him but by no means would it be a kiss of death to his draft prospects.

I'm curious to look up any scouting reports on him.

I assume Tyson Baille probably got a few ECHL offers last season but turned them down to go to school. Smart move. He may be going down the Joel Ward path (play in the CHL, go to a Canadian University, sign with an NHL after that)... I've always liked Tyson Baille and wish he signed here. I'd rather have him occupying a roster spot over a Yan-Pavel Laplante or Mackenze Stewart any day.

I like Zachary Aston-Reese and Alex Kerfoot too. If Gaudette signs with the Canucks this offseason, I could see Aston-Reese potentially coming here too (since Gaudette and him play on the same line together).

Issue with Kerfoot is that he is technically property of the Avs and may end up signing there. Though, he did play all 4 years with Harvard so there's a good chance he comes back home amongst other options. But look, if Jimmy Vesey didn't sign in Boston (his hometown) -- there's a good chance Kerfoot chooses his best NHL opportunity too.

Nicholas Schilkey of Ohio State is another guy too watch. He's been breaking most of Tyler Bozak's Ohio State records... and Bozak, no matter what you say about him, is a very competent NHLer... he's just playing on a line above his skill set for far too long. Schilkey could be worth signing too.

5 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I assume Tyson Baille probably got a few ECHL offers last season but turned them down to go to school. Smart move. He may be going down the Joel Ward path (play in the CHL, go to a Canadian University, sign with an NHL after that)... I've always liked Tyson Baille and wish he signed here. I'd rather have him occupying a roster spot over a Yan-Pavel Laplante or Mackenze Stewart any day.

I went to school/was neighbours with a guy who got drafted into the NHL... got very close, did play in the show (very, very briefly) but he didn't quite make it. At the ripe old age of 30 is now hockey retired without any post-secondary education or work experience outside of playing in the AHL... so likely mostly broke.

The bubble guys going to university is a much better idea. Maybe they make it, maybe they don't. But coming out broke at 30 with a broken body and poor prospects otherwise seems... unfortunate. 

Hopefully we see Baille get a shot with us. I'd hate to see him go to a rival like Edmonton or Calgary and really light it up ala Tyler Johnson style.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Caggiula only has like 2 goals this season, so not sure how much of an impact he'd have on us if he signed. He'd probably be in Utica.

Those two goals are more then Gaunce, Virtanen and Chaputs goal totals put together. Plus its only his first year in the league.

5 hours ago, Pears said:

Reminds me a bit of Curtis Valk. The crazy thing too about Valk is that he went straight to the ECHL, even though he was already good enough for the AHL (6 points in 12 games last season).

This year he Utica's leading goal scorer. He and Archibald have been a bright spot in an otherwise poor season.  

5 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

His size would definitely be a knock against him but by no means would it be a kiss of death to his draft prospects.

I'm curious to look up any scouting reports on him.

Baillie plays a strong all-round game. He has good balance and speed and quick hands that allow him to handle the puck well in one-on-one situations. He sees the ice well, makes skilled passes and creates chances. 

3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Caggiula only has like 2 goals this season, so not sure how much of an impact he'd have on us if he signed. He'd probably be in Utica.

Guess which team he scored those 2 goals? 

On 1/8/2017 at 9:37 AM, missioncanucksfan said:

Another 2 months to go until college players decide to turn pro. Just curious as to which players to watch or keep an eye on. Nothing cooler than having a gem fall into a teams lap. Stecher was an absolute shot in the arm for this team and we've been reaping the benefits of Tanev for how long now. Sucks we couldn't convince Drake Cagguila to join as he could've also really helped.

A few players that come to mind are Northwestern U players such as Zach Aston-Reese,  and Garret Cockrell. 

Aston-Reese is a Sr. with decent size,

Garret Cockrell is a stocky right shot D that likes to lay the lumber and is having a decent season offensively. Both teammates of Gaudette.

Mike Vecchione has bagged 18 goals already in 21 games. C/RW for Union

Alex Kerfoot, local guy getting it done for Harvard

Great to see other names and possible scouting reports

:lol:

Archived