The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jealousy - Do people really suffer from the green-eyed monster?

Mainly Mattias

I have a really bad problem with jealous/envy, but it's over lots of stupid things and typically doesn't affect my day-to-day life. I feel the feelings very intensely very often but never act on them. I can see how others would though. I know a handful of people with jealousy issues plus anger management problems and/or mental illness. It seems to be those last two pieces that enable the actions related to the first to come about.

I know a handful of 'jealous boyfriend/girlfriend types, but I think that kinda thing is fairly common unfortunately.   

Jealous like 'why does Steve get new shoes? I want those shoes. ', is kinda weird and childish.   

I am fairly cold when it comes to most people outside my family and don't really care what they have going on one way or the other.  

It's better to think 'good for them' 

as opposed to 'why not me?'

47 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I know a handful of 'jealous boyfriend/girlfriend types, but I think that kinda thing is fairly common unfortunately.  

It is.  Still I don't mind jealousy, you can deal with that. Its when you combine it with paranoia and suspicion, that's when the situation becomes untenable.

I still get envious, to say "I'm never envious of anyone's anything" would be a lie, no matter who you are or what you have.

The desire to "want more" is human nature and by understanding that I'm only human and not above "want", I'm able to recognize my actual needs by asking myself to make a mental distinction between the two.

But there is a difference between envy and jealousy, envy is easily interalized and rationalized, whereas jealousy is obvious and externalized through actions that usually make people look like fools.

Just now, luckylager said:

"Hamburgers, the cornerstone to every good breakfast" (or something like that)

Yup, that flick deserves another watch, it's been a while.

I finally picked it up from Walmart a couple years back.

5$.

just have to keep it hid from the kids.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

I finally picked it up from Walmart a couple years back.

5$.

just have to keep it hid from the kids.

Got mine when blockbuster was going outta business, think I paid about the same, used though.

I keep my bad (good) movies, herbs, old writing / lyrics books, weed stuffs and amazing photos from my misspent youth on lockdown. Oh, excessively violent video games too.

Actually, the wife made me put all that stuff in an old filing cabinet in my "Malkovich room", under lock and key. She also put my guitars down there...

Archived