The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jealousy - Do people really suffer from the green-eyed monster?

Mainly Mattias

I think many people identify jealousy as something that only applies to material objects, but it can be applied to so much more. I've been jealous of another man's beard, physique, or even personality before. My best friend has an amazing marriage and I'm sometimes jealous of the relationship he has with her (I've always been single). Personally, materialism is something I try to stay away from (though it's admittedly hard in such a wealthy country like Canada), so my jealousy regarding material objects is less compared to any jealousy I feel regarding other things.

6 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I know a handful of 'jealous boyfriend/girlfriend types, but I think that kinda thing is fairly common unfortunately.   

Jealous like 'why does Steve get new shoes? I want those shoes. ', is kinda weird and childish.   

I am fairly cold when it comes to most people outside my family and don't really care what they have going on one way or the other.  

It's better to think 'good for them' 

as opposed to 'why not me?'

That's envy, imo........jealousy is the fear of losing someone, or something to someone else.

On 1/8/2017 at 3:46 PM, Mainly Mattias said:

We're used to seeing jealousy as a plot device in books, operas and movies but how often does it prompt action in the everyday lives of people?

I'd recently watched something that had me going, "Come on, that doesn't happen in real life." I guess I'm not really competitive. Heh.

I think there's a subtle difference between envy and jealousy. Maybe it's a bit pedantic but envy is when someone gets something you don't have, and you want that thing. Jealousy is more you're afraid someone or something will take something from you that you already have.

Jealousy is very common if you know where to look, often pertaining to relationships between people.

Archived