The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

There will be no 3rd Jerseys in NHL next year

Mackcanuck

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

It used to be that way...I could never figure out why they changed to the current way...makes no sense really

That was one of Bettman's ways to sell to the non traditional markets. (ie. NBA and NFL are that way so why not the NHL.) I still prefer the white at home, always did. Bettman came in and gave up the history and tradition of the game to try and force it on other markets. You ask me there should be a minimum season attendance for you to keep your NHL franchise. You can't force a game on people who don't care.

16 minutes ago, Ojibwa72 said:

That was one of Bettman's ways to sell to the non traditional markets. (ie. NBA and NFL are that way so why not the NHL.) I still prefer the white at home, always did. Bettman came in and gave up the history and tradition of the game to try and force it on other markets. You ask me there should be a minimum season attendance for you to keep your NHL franchise. You can't force a game on people who don't care.

If that was the case we would have lost the Canucks in the mid-80s.  The attendance back then makes today's Arizona look like a hockey hotbed.

4 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

It used to be that way...I could never figure out why they changed to the current way...makes no sense really

The away (colored) jerseys sold better and they figured if they made them the home jerseys then they would sell even more.  

4 hours ago, Jaku said:

I couldn't disagree more. I think it makes more sense that teams wear their colours at home.

why...instead of other cities seeing the colorful jerseys?  The original 6 was that way for eons.

But I will admit I always liked the Canadiens whites.

4 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

I like it better this way. Personally I would much rather have an arena filled with their teams color instead of white all the time.

#RockTheRed, #OrangeCrush, #BleedBlue

I think it is Pittsburgh who's fans come in all white during playoffs. I don't like that.

6 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I like it better this way. Personally I would much rather have an arena filled with their teams color instead of white all the time.

I think it is Pittsburgh who's fans come in all white during playoffs. I don't like that.

Its been so long I dont really care one way or the other anymore...but its what I grew up with.

14 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Its been so long I dont really care one way or the other anymore...but its what I grew up with.

That's understandable, once you get used to something and it just changes on you it must be weird. I'd feel the same way if the home team started to wear white. Sucks about the 3rd jerseys though. Having just 2 will be very weird.

5 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Back in the day, before teams had state of the art laundry facilities, the away team always wore their dark jerseys because white jerseys would show the dirt and grime. If a team was on a four or five game road trip, it was a problem keeping white jerseys clean. Once each team had high end washers and dryers, a visiting team could have their laundry done on the road, so white became the away colour. There was also a year or two in there that teams switched at mid-season so their home fans got to see both uniforms. That seems to me to be a simple solution.

5 hours ago, redhdlois said:

I know....I'm old too lol..........I can't figure it out either.....it's a no brainer IMO to have the home team wear white.

Yes white was the home colour years ago.  I think it had something to do with darker unis on the road as it relieved the equipment guys of trying to get stains out of the white ie blood, as a wash of a dark jersey hid the stain better.  Thus they didn't have to transport as many replacement uniforms on road trips because in that time I doubt teams budgeted for the amount of uniforms they do today.  Also the darker colours which tended to be the team's primary image was thought to be a marketing ploy as to bring the fans out to a game on the road.  Fans got and wanted to see visiting teams in all their glory.  Of course that was a thought before colour broadcasts on 15 sports networks covering 75 hockey games a night.  Just my 2 cents.

I prefer to keep the dark color at home.  IMO, colors is more pretty than whites so home team should wear prettier jersey so therefore, home should wear colors.   I also am used to color at home so why change now?   Hockey throughout the history before 70's never wear whites at home.

If there's no 3rd jersey next season then scrap the orcas logo with lettering in favor of current 3rd jersey with hockey rink so wear them both at home/away hockey sticks/rink.  It is time for them to make the hockey stick/rink their main logo. 

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

1. Swap the home and away jersey's and get rid of the stupid jersey tuck rule

2. Work on the bajillion things that are plaguing the entertainment value of the NHL

3. Profit(literally)

4. Fire Bettman

Jersey tucks always looked dumb to me but if players want to they should be allowed.

But, jerseys are just ads sold by corporate NHL. You can't be tucking their ads in. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Pepsi makes the jerseys one day lol.

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Winnipeg fans popularized white jerseys as well calling it a "Whiteout".   Even though I can't stand Calgary their "C of Red" gimmick is effective.

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

why...instead of other cities seeing the colorful jerseys?  The original 6 was that way for eons.

But I will admit I always liked the Canadiens whites.

The Canadiens have the classiest jerseys in the league either home or away.  Agreed the white always looked good.  Much like the current Canuck away.  I'm not a fan of the home uni way too much blue with the green trim.  The Canadiens in the late 40's though had a white jersey with a blue band through the chest and the CH of course surprised they never reintroduced it as a 3rd.

4 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I grew up with home whites.  What makes it cool is the variety in the visitors.  Right now all you ever see in Vancouver is home blue and away white.  Every game looks the same.  With home whites, you get all the different colours when different teams come to visit.

but what that actually accomplished was a higher sales of visiting jerseys than canuck jerseys

as their jerseys were much more intieresting

now when all the visitors are white.. their jerseys are perceived a boring

but personally i liked all the variety of colours when the visiting team was not white

but i understand totally why the change was made

and i did not even consider the sense of the crowd and home team displaying the same colours when at home

39 minutes ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Winnipeg fans popularized white jerseys as well calling it a "Whiteout".   Even though I can't stand Calgary their "C of Red" gimmick is effective.

I do remember that and I actually love the whole thing! I'm all for white being some teams's go to color, just so long as it's not every teams. Pittsburgh however just looks out of place in white, unlike Winnipeg.

4 hours ago, Ojibwa72 said:

Bettman is a numbers man, a bean counter, a promotor and a lawyer. Or is that liar?  All he knows are graphs, stats, and pie charts relating to revenue, market share, expenses, product ya da yada.....  Certainly not a traditionalist some days I imagine he has to give himself a slap upside the head to remember if he's flogging hockey or Pepsi.  Bettman couldn't name 10 hockey greats from the 50's through to the 80's.  Hockey didn't exist for him until '93 when he became commissioner.

Archived