The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

There will be no 3rd Jerseys in NHL next year

Mackcanuck

27 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Every team has a white.  Why should the home crowd never see the real colours?  I love the rule.

also nice to see the other teams coloured jerseys when you go to a game...I dont like the rule..only because you come across like a tool

FFS we are not the NBA. Let us be unique and not sell out to f@#$%&! Adidas. It's probably a lot cheaper to manufacture these jerseys since most of the manufacturers are based in China. So from a business standpoint I understand why. But what I don't understand is the frequency in which they have to change it. Last decade it was CCM, this past decade it's Reebok, now it's f@#$%&! Adidas? What will it be next decade? Nike? Then the decade after that? Mcdonald's? Soon we'll have a f@#$%&! tampon brand on the sleeves of the jerseys since women will probably have a bigger impact on sports by then. I highly doubt jersey sales will increase drastically with a brand change and less jerseys. Sticking with something builds the brand up. Why do you think we've stuck with the orca instead of the stick? Because it represents our region . Not only that, but it has built itself into our hearts. When we think Canucks, we think of Canadians, but we also think of that awesome killer whale making a C shape. I've been a big supporter of Reebok, they've kept up with the quality. Now it could be the sport, but from my experience, Reebok jerseys (for hockey) have lasted me many years until now, while most of my Adidas jerseys (basketball) are all faded and torn up. I'm very skeptical about this change. Like I said, we're not ballers, we're hockey fans.

2 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

FFS we are not the NBA. Let us be unique and not sell out to f@#$%&! Adidas. It's probably a lot cheaper to manufacture these jerseys since most of the manufacturers are based in China. So from a business standpoint I understand why. But what I don't understand is the frequency in which they have to change it. Last decade it was CCM, this past decade it's Reebok, now it's f@#$%&! Adidas? What will it be next decade? Nike? Then the decade after that? Mcdonald's? Soon we'll have a f@#$%&! tampon brand on the sleeves of the jerseys since women will probably have a bigger impact on sports by then. I highly doubt jersey sales will increase drastically with a brand change and less jerseys. Sticking with something builds the brand up. Why do you think we've stuck with the orca instead of the stick? Because it represents our region . Not only that, but it has built itself into our hearts. When we think Canucks, we think of Canadians, but we also think of that awesome killer whale making a C shape. I've been a big supporter of Reebok, they've kept up with the quality. Now it could be the sport, but from my experience, Reebok jerseys (for hockey) have lasted me many years until now, while most of my Adidas jerseys (basketball) are all faded and torn up. I'm very skeptical about this change. Like I said, we're not ballers, we're hockey fans.

This would be a lot more relevant if Reebok wasn't an Adidas subsidiary, which it is.

I suspect the change in quality will be next to nothing.

2 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

This would be a lot more relevant if Reebok wasn't an Adidas subsidiary, which it is.

I suspect the change in quality will be next to nothing.

And that Reebok is pulling out of all team sports to focus on Crossfit, hence leaving an opening for the NHL contract.

1 minute ago, canucklax said:

And that Reebok is pulling out of all team sports to focus on Crossfit, hence leaving an opening for the NHL contract.

And that jersey manufacturing has very little to do with the NHLs brand. The league has bigger branding issues to worry about than which company has a tiny logo on the chest of near-identical jerseys.

I'd like to see whites for home jerseys again. I'd much rather, if I'm going to pay to see a game live, not see white jerseys from the away team every single time. I want to see the mostly-red Redwings, the mostly-orange Flyers, etc. Every visiting team in white is meh. I actually do see 3-4 games a year where they still do it (home team wearing white), but it seems rare and I'm not sure what determines when they do it (if anyone knows, I'd be interested in hearing why).

I'm not huge on the idea of no 3rd jerseys. Those 90s era Jets jerseys are slick, and there are a few teams that have really neat ones. Not a big fan of stick-in-rink Canucks' jersey, but when they do the 'vintage' jerseys or the flying skate ones? That's a cool change for once in a blue moon.

The argument that you can't have 2 teams with white jerseys or dark jerseys is kind of silly too. There are so many things other than jersey colour to determine what team the guy is on. Which way they're skating, the white jerseys have other colouration on them although slightly less prominent, the announcers literally naming whoever has the puck etc. Unless I was completely new to the NHL, it wouldn't be hard to figure out at all imo.

8 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Winnipeg fans popularized white jerseys as well calling it a "Whiteout".   Even though I can't stand Calgary their "C of Red" gimmick is effective.

"Whiteout" worked cause its such a $&!#ty place with all the whiteouts and this gave a reason to cheer for (be proud) of it.

Yup...I have spent some years in the Winterpeg.

7 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Considering that no one can even speculate as to the reasoning....it's definitely a no brain situation.

It was because of the third jersey being coloured forcing all road teams to now carry both coloured and white jerseys for when the home team used the third jersey. When i last lived in Vancouver in 2001 they were still using white home jerseys.

It all comes down to the owners who want more money and a third jersey instantly sold.

4 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

It was because of the third jersey being coloured forcing all road teams to now carry both coloured and white jerseys for when the home team used the third jersey. When i last lived in Vancouver in 2001 they were still using white home jerseys.

It all comes down to the owners who want more money and a third jersey instantly sold.

Interesting. What's your position on the issue?

7 minutes ago, Moonshinefe said:

Interesting. What's your position on the issue?

Back in the 80's and 90's when i went to a lot of games i loved seeing all the colors of teams coming to play. In the 70's the Penguins had a sweet dark blue jersey, Kings with the purple, North Stars with green... love it! Now with every game on tv it doesn't really matter to me.

31 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Back in the 80's and 90's when i went to a lot of games i loved seeing all the colors of teams coming to play. In the 70's the Penguins had a sweet dark blue jersey, Kings with the purple, North Stars with green... love it! Now with every game on tv it doesn't really matter to me.

As you can see a post or two up I agree, I'd like to see the away team in their colours live if I go to a game. I don't think I'd go as far as to say every game on tv doesn't matter to me now though!

5 hours ago, Moonshinefe said:

As you can see a post or two up I agree, I'd like to see the away team in their colours live if I go to a game. I don't think I'd go as far as to say every game on tv doesn't matter to me now though!

loll i meant as the colors don't matter to me now as i can see any game i want on tv. The other night the game was in Calgary and i was thinking "wow there are a lot of Flames jerseys in the crowd' lol, the home white jersey still gets me some times!

20 hours ago, Xbox said:

I like it better this way. Personally I would much rather have an arena filled with their teams color instead of white all the time.

#RockTheRed, #OrangeCrush, #BleedBlue

I think it is Pittsburgh who's fans come in all white during playoffs. I don't like that.

You don't remember the Winnipeg whiteouts in the playoffs. That was an awesome sight to see.

Archived