The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Canes D Andrej Nestrasil, Oilers G Jonas Gustavsson, and Jackets G Curtis McElhinney

Mackcanuck

Nestrasil is interesting. Much as I'm a "team Gaunce" guy, plugging Nesty into Gaunce's spot might actually make the Canucks better and send some much needed talent Utica's way. 

On paper, Gaunce and Nestrasil are roughly the same size and both are LH shot C/Ws that play mostly LW. Nestrasil has similar on-ice shot attempts metrics to Gaunce. Where they differ is individual production, where Nesty provides middle to top six rates in scoring and Gaunce has yet to produce better than fringe NHL/4th line scoring rates (although I believe he will eventually score at more respectable rates).

Seems like a player we could plug into Gaunce's spot and possibly get better scoring production while not losing the positive possession effects Gaunce brings on-ice.

Also, here's a little on Nesty's team value and playstyle from the 2016-17 Canes Country season preview:

For my money the loss of Andrej Nestrasiland Phil Di Giuseppe did more team damage. My contention all along has been that Nestrasil, not Staal, was the glue that held the Nesty/Jordy/Nordy line together. He was the guy who seemed to regain possession when we seemed about to lose it. He was the one that tended to find Joakim for his timely one-timers. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.canescountry.com/platform/amp/2016/9/2/12735972/predictions-a-carolina-hurricanes-top-10-list?client=safari

Definitely a claim worth considering. Although it would probably have to come at Gaunce's expense. But that might not necessarily be a bad thing for either Gaunce or the Canucks. Gaunce could maybe benefit from some time in Utica, and (as discussed above) Nestrasil might be able to replace most of Gaunce's positives while also giving the team a little more scoring.

Can't the Canucks just put both Megna and on waivers and try this guy out? If they're claimed, so be it but I doubt either would be.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd rather watch Higgins and Vey than these two minor leaguers.

A face only a hockey mom could love ::D

6'3" 200 lbs
58 points in a season and a half with Carolina.
Center/LW

Gaunce has played well defensively but is struggling to get on the board. What's not to like here? Other than the fact he's turning 26 next month, which may not fit the teams structure moving forward in that regard...

andrej-nestrasil-of-the-carolina-hurrica

58 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

6'3" 200 lbs
Center/LW

Gaunce has played well defensively but is struggling to get on the board. What's not to like here? Other than the fact he's turning 26 next month, which may not fit the teams structure moving forward in that regard...

andrej-nestrasil-of-the-carolina-hurrica

Sounds a lot better than Chaput. Put a claim in for Nestrasil, put Boucher in and send Chaput and Megna to the AHL where they belong. 

4 hours ago, Pears said:

Sounds a lot better than Chaput. Put a claim in for Nestrasil, put Boucher in and send Chaput and Megna to the AHL where they belong. 

That's not a viable idea - and not sure why people here continue to under-rate Chaput, who has been solid in his role.

Nestrasil isn't a center Pears.   He's a winger - despite what two minutes of google scouting might get you.

He's taken 9 draws this year and won 3. Last year he took a whole 25 draws and won 8.  32%.

The guy is a winger.

Not gonna be sending Chaput to Utica for Nestrasil - or Boucher.

He'd make a good 4RW, but he's sure as hell not "a lot better than Chaput" nor would either of them be competing for his spot.

Is Nestrasil a better option than Megna?  Maybe.

I'll be surprised if this player clears - he's a hard worker and a solid possession player.  Might be worth the risk of losing Megna to waivers - with the upside being if they can sneak Megna through they'd add a forward for Utica.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That's not a viable idea - and not sure why people here continue to under-rate Chaput, who has been solid in his role.

Nestrasil isn't a center Pears.   He's a winger - despite what two minutes of google scouting might get you.

He's taken 9 draws this year and won 3. Last year he took a whole 25 draws and won 8.  32%.

The guy is a winger.

Nope - not gonna be sending Chaput to Utica for Nestrasil - or Boucher.

He'd make a good 4RW, but he's sure as hell not "a lot better than Chaput" nor would either of them be competing for his spot.

Is Nestrasil a better option than Megna?  Maybe.

I'll be surprised if this player clears - he's a hard worker and a solid possession player.  Might be worth the risk of losing Megna to waivers - with the upside being if they can sneak Megna through they'd add a forward for Utica.

Honestly the rest of the league probably wouldn't even waste their time with Megna, so he should clear pretty easily. If you can only manage one shot in three games playing with players like the Sedins, that tells you something. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Honestly the rest of the league probably wouldn't even waste their time with Megna, so he should clear pretty easily. If you can only manage one shot in three games playing with players like the Sedins, that tells you something. 

On the other hand he had 4 shots in one game with Sutter.

But nevertheless, I like Nestrasil and would probably take the risk of waiving Megna for him.

Chaput = no.

Gaunce - I don't think I'd send Gaunce the message of an assignment under the circumstances - that would not be an option were it me - it would have to be Megna or no one.

It will be interesting if he makes it to the Canucks.  I'm skeptical - imo he's one of the better bottom six forwards to hit the wire this year.

Sign Andrej Nestrasil and waive Megna. Give the guy a try and if he does better then Megna then awesome! But seriously... who's going to pick up Megma and even if someone does they will probably waive him again and then we can send him right to Utica.

And on a side note I like my new Signature. Thanks VintageCanuck

i always thought of his name like a brand of coffee :3

2 hours ago, darkpoet said:

6'3" 200 lbs
Center/LW

but theres rodin xD

Archived