The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat is going to the All-Star Game!

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Dion Phaneuf said:

tbh he shouldn't be at the game if the all-star only took in account the actual all-stars in the league.  However, given that at one representative in needed from each team in the league having Bo Horvat represent the Canucks is a no-brainer.  Good experience for him, maybe one day he'll rightfully earn a spot by putting up all-star stats as the team grows and he is given more offensive freedom

Guess that doesn't say much for McKinnon, Hall, Okposo, Gaudreau all also selected - all play on 1st or 2nd lines for their respective teams and all have less goals and points this year than our 3rd line "shutdown" centre who gets most d-zone starts and the least pp time.

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Grats, but every team has to have a representative that takes the luster out of being called an 'allstar.'  I am sure I will be flamed for this, oh well.  Glad for Bo nonetheless, but being named to this farce of a game isn't saying much and I wont be watching.  They used to use allstar games as a measurement for success: 'He was a 5 time allstar.'  Now players do whatever they can to get out of this game.  They should just honestly can the event and give all the players a rest so maybe the product isn't as mundane for the entire season.

I think Bo is deserving but I do have to agree that all-star births should not be denigrated or diluted or whatever they are doing now.  How many all Star berths a player has is part of what the Hall looks at for inductees...If they keep it up this way it won't mean as much.  Used to be the very best at each position was selected without fan involvement.  Naslund was the best at his position in the league for a couple years and Bure earned his stripes honestly too.  

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

I think Bo is deserving but I do have to agree that all-star births should not be denigrated or diluted or whatever they are doing now.  How many all Star berths a player has is part of what the Hall looks at for inductees...If they keep it up this way it won't mean as much.  Used to be the very best at each position was selected without fan involvement.  Naslund was the best at his position in the league for a couple years and Bure earned his stripes honestly too.  

See my post above

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Guess that doesn't say much for McKinnon, Hall, Okposo, Gaudreau all also selected - all play on 1st or 2nd lines for their respective teams and all have less goals and points this year than our 3rd line "shutdown" centre who gets most d-zone starts and the least pp time.

True.  My post basically states that the ASG doesn't truly reflect the games actual stars but rather arguably every teams best representative.  If the game represented just the stars some teams may be over or under represented.  In the current format players such as Horvat, Okposo, etc. are given a chance to represent their teams which in my opinion somewhat dilutes the talent pool as others have mentioned above.  Players such as Horvat and Okposo are certainly good players but not necessarily in the star player category.  Some players such as Panarin and Scheifele are left out of the game due to each team requiring a representative which as mentions dilutes the talent pool.  Would be tough to argue that players such as Horvat and Okposo deserve to be at the game more than Panarin and Scheifele for example.

Simply put, the game isn't a true reflection of the league's top talent.

That said, as I mentioned in my original post, good for Horvat to represent the Canucks.  Good experience for him in his third season and at only 21 years of age.  

The 2 guys I still been waiting to see play together regularly to see what chemistry they have, which In my opinion would be a good git for each other is, BO & LOU. Something tells me that these 2 need to play with each other regularly...

Our future #1 with Boeser....

Eriksson - HORVAT - Boeser

Baertschi - 2016 draft - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - Hansen

Jasek - Gaudette - Lockwood

Juolevi  -  Stecher

Tryamkin - Tanev

Hutton - Gubranson

Markstrom

Demko

Garteig

given the hand Bo has been dealt this season (TOI, Zone Starts, PP Time) he has done really well. I'm happy for the guy, hopefully he has a fun weekend. This new All Star format is for the younger guys anyway. 

Only other Choice would have been Miller from the Canucks roster but then Coyotes would have had to send a forward instead. Are any of their guys really standing out this year?

8 hours ago, beni said:

given the hand Bo has been dealt this season (TOI, Zone Starts, PP Time) he has done really well. I'm happy for the guy, hopefully he has a fun weekend. This new All Star format is for the younger guys anyway. 

Only other Choice would have been Miller from the Canucks roster but then Coyotes would have had to send a forward instead. Are any of their guys really standing out this year?

OEL maybe...But then Doughy or Burns would have to stay home...A bit of thought must have gone into who they picked.  

Had a thought earlier... with the advent of Bo coming into his own and slowly showing us (the fans) that he's the future, isn't time we start wondering and discussing who other that Bear should be part of his line??? I mean, they have chemistry and likely what they've shown us this year is only (crossing fingers) going to get better next. They're the future 1st line... unless something totally awful and unexpected happens. SO who should be their right wing? Virtanen? Boeser? Other?

Bo's 55 point pace may not seem allstar worthy, but take into consideration thats he gets majority starts in the dzone while playing on a line with Alex Burrows and Sven Baertschi, suddenly 55 points looks pretty damn good. I bet McDavid would even have a hard time putting up points in that situation.

Not trying to slight Burrs or Baer, but neither are currently top 6 forwards at the respective stages of their careers, Baertschi is on the cusp but he isnt quite there yet.

Imagine if Bo got to play with a players like Kane, Carter or Tsarasenko etc. I bet that Horvat would be pushing 40 points and be on pace for 70+ right now if he had better linemates to play with and more Ozone starts.

Anyone who watches Bo play on a nightly basis will know that he deserves more than what he has got, I see him set up 3 - 4 quality scoring chances a night but his linemates lack the finish results in him getting less points than his he should be getting.

Horvat is the driving force behind an average team at best. Unlike a majority of other players named to the allstar game Horvat has had to work extra hard for the recognition. Other young players get Ozone starts and easy minutes from the get go, but Bo has had to battle in the DZone against the opponents top lines every game to earn each shift he gets on the offensive side of the ice. Defence is just as important as offence. Kesler and Teows are probably the only two players in the allstar game that I would take over Bo Horvat to start in the DZone.

If it wasnt one player from every team he doesnt make it then. But I like the one player from every team, if they didnt have that rule we would all be watching the Columbus Blue Jackets vs Chicago in the allstar game. I personally dont like watching players from other teams play, but I will like to watch Bo Horvat play with elite players that he doesnt get to play with in Vancouver. The Allstar game is for the fans and not having representatives from each team will only alienate certain fans defeating the purpose of it being a fan event.

Horvat may not have Allstar points right now but I guarantee that when he is out there with Brent Burns and Johnny Gaudreau or whoever he plays with, he is going to look like the Allstar he has worked hard to be and deserves to be.

6 hours ago, VC420 said:

Bo's 55 point pace may not seem allstar worthy, but take into consideration thats he gets majority starts in the dzone while playing on a line with Alex Burrows and Sven Baertschi, suddenly 55 points looks pretty damn good. I bet McDavid would even have a hard time putting up points in that situation.

Stopped reading here.

You are beyond delusional comparing Horvat to McDavid sorry.

15 hours ago, Bo053 said:

Stopped reading here.

You are beyond delusional comparing Horvat to McDavid sorry.

I used McDavd as an example. I never made such a comparison and I never compared their numbers side by side or made a likeness between their skills and playstyles. Horvat and McDavid are completely different players and I never said Bo is a lot like McDavid because of such'n'such reasons.

All I said was that scoring points would be hard for anyone even McDavid if he had to play a majority of defensive zone starts with Burrows and Baertschi as his linemates. I used McDavid solely as an example of the prototypical NHL allstar. I didnt once say that Bo is like McDavid.

If you read my whole post you would know that I am praising Bo for making the best of a bad situation. Many other players on the allstar team play with other allstar caliber players while Bo doesnt. You are the delusional one if you think Burrows or Baertschi are on the same level as Eberle and Lucic, or Voracek and Giroux.

Its not even close if you compare Horvats linemates with the other Allstars.

There is no doubt McDavid is better than Bo, but I was simply giving Bo credit for exceeding league wide expectations of him and finding ways of creating offense with sub-par linemates and defensive zone starts. 

Maybe next time you should read my whole post before you quote me and try to make me seem idiotic and uninformed.

Or maybe you should sign up on the Oilers homesite since you seem to care so much more about McDavid than Bo.

Archived