The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedin Struggles (Poll)

Adarsh Sant

Sedin's Ice Time  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love the Sedins don't get me wrong (their numbers will be retired and they will be in the HHOF in my opinion), but they are a shell of what they used to be back in the glory days.  Daniel is on pace for 43 points (43.8).  Henrik is on pace for 49 (49.6).  These are not the numbers of 1st liners, yet they continue to be deployed with first line minutes (around 19 min per game on average). I acknowledge that Horvat is being used more as of late, but overall they are being used more than any other line.  They are also getting significantly more PP time that unit #2.  This is not changing.  This is concerning because they aren't being deployed in a shutdown role like Sutter's line, they are being deployed to provide offense.  Looking at their numbers, they are not providing much.  Henrik has 4 points in his last 10, 2 of them against the league's worst team.  He is -11 on the season.  Daniel has 1 point in his last 10, also against the leagues worst team.  He is -8 on the season.  The Canucks are the leagues worst road team, and these guys are not helping out.  Is it time for them to be demoted? Can anyone honestly say that they are offensive threats anymore?  This isn't just based on tonight, they have been performing terribly the last month or so. My solution would be to decrease their TOI to about 16-17 min, and split the extra 2-3 min with Bo's line and the 4th line. Sutter already plays a lot against the other teams's top lines so I think his lines' TOI is good where it is.  The 4th line hasn't produced but honestly they look more threatening than the Sedins.  This could work until Hansen gets back, then it's a different story.

Roast away if you have to.

On a completely different note, should Miller have done this tonight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXbNjBh9So

It's very simple:

The Sedins need to be split up.... they are out of ideas and too slow to play together anymore.

They can still pass the puck... put one of them on a line with Sutter and Granlund, (Daniel) and one on a line with Megna and Eriksson. (Henrik)

They should not be together on PP's either... it is very obvious they do not have any new ideas... they need to be shaken up.

6 minutes ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Yes, the Sedins TOI needs to decrease and give those minutes to Bo's line. 

Looking back we all know Miller could've done that. But to make a decision like that in the moment is really difficult.

He could have, but should he have done that?  People would have probably said it was 'cowardly' or whatever. Personally if it helps us get an extra point, then he should have.

10 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

How about giving the Sedins a decent winger?

Sedins have looked unimpressive with Megna and Eriksson.  Hansen was working slightly better but he's gone for a bit :(  

We don't have any decent wingers at the moment unless you count Rodin and Boucher who WILLIE REFUSES TO PLAY.

Sedins desperately need to get Hansen back... he is the only guy who both understands them and who also has the skills to play their game.

Burr understands, but he is a step behind... Megna can't finish unless he has a breakaway, and Eriksson is just not in sync.

The Sedins are a waste of time on the PP. Last time the Canucks had a PP in the last 17 seconds of OT, Hank held on to the puck till the last whistle without a shot on goal. Tonight, the Sedins again had no shot on goal during the PP in OT and gave up a short-handed goal. Who is going to pay to watch the Sedins these days? Take them out of the PP, it is painful to watch them keep passing the puck endlessly until turning it over.

It's a tough spot because the next best option after Hansen - Sutter - it's just too important to leave him on his own matchup line.

And I think that despite Loui being the 3rd best option, I'd stick with the LE Sutter Granlund line and lean on them more. 

Which unfortunately leaves the Sedins with a bottom six linemate - although at this point I'd be tempted to move Burrows up with them and let Bo and Baer carry their own line with a lesser winger like Megna.  Somehow I imagine they'll continue to produce nevertheless, but perhaps it's their turn to give up their winger.

Anyhow - Hansen imo is one of the three most important forwards on this club right now - with Horvat and Sutter - and he's a huge loss the effectively makes this team a two as opposed to 3 line team.

At this point I think I'd try this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Eriksson Sutter Granlund

Baertschi Horvat Boucher/Megna

Gaunce Chaput Skille

And to be clear - no disrespect to Rodin but I simply don't believe he's healthy enough to play - and I don't see any point in risking a further setback with him - otherwise he's clearly a good option on the Baer Bo line.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

It's a tough spot because the next best option after Hansen - Sutter - is just too important to leave on his own matchup line.

And I think that despite Loui being the 3rd best option, I'd stick with the LE Sutter Granlund line and lean on them more. 

Which unfortunately leaves the Sedins with a bottom six linemate - although at this point I'd be tempted to move Burrows up with them and let Bo and Baer carry their own line with a lesser winger like Megna.  Somehow I imagine they'll continue to produce nevertheless, but perhaps it's their turn to give up their winger.

Anyhow - Hansen imo is one of the three most important forwards on this club right now - with Horvat and Sutter - and he's a huge loss the effectively makes this team a two as opposed to 3 line team.

At this point I think I'd try this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Eriksson Sutter Granlund

Baertschi Horvat Boucher/Megna

Gaunce Chaput Skille

I agree, that seems more viable until Badger is back.  Also to hell with Megna, send him down.  Give Rodin or Boucher a try.  I imagine the Swedish league MVP could probably produce more than Jayson "4th line plug" Megna.

Archived