The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedin Struggles (Poll)

Adarsh Sant

Sedin's Ice Time  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You'll hear lots of excuses.

I knew when they signed the last deal, it might end ugly. Voiced some doubt on a thread when they were negotiating, & I got roasted here, pretty good, Suggested just a coupla' yrs, for cheaper - boy was I informed how much I DIDN'T know about this great game.

Last wknd advocated 1 of them retiring, & took another hard hit :^)  ..TBH, I'm pretty tired of their play-style. At their current age/speed, it's painfully predictable. Now it all amounts to a 15 month-countdown. Personally enjoy watching fast skating, hard-hitting hockey. Team's hard to watch these days.

6 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

I agree, that seems more viable until Badger is back.  Also to hell with Megna, send him down.  Give Rodin or Boucher a try.  I imagine the Swedish league MVP could probably produce more than Jayson "4th line plug" Megna.

I haven't minded Megna for the most part - at least he's worked hard defensively and has never been a liability - but he did have a pretty poor game tonight and got on my nerves a few times (aside from drawing what could have been a key penalty with 5 minutes left.)   But tbh, this was a game where a number of guys didn't play well - and not the usual suspects, so I'm hesitant to single out Megna.

Still I think everyone, including WD, is aware that he's probably the 12th forward currently - and when the team is healthy, he's probably about 16th, so I'm not sure why people expect much more of him.  He hasn't produced, but he hasn't really hurt the team either.  And the type of role/minutes he's playing are more a matter of fit than they are the misconception that he's a top 6 forward - so I think people misinterpret this fact on a regular basis and assume it means that WD values him more highly than I suspect is the actual case.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's a tough spot because the next best option after Hansen - Sutter - is just too important to leave on his own matchup line.

And I think that despite Loui being the 3rd best option, I'd stick with the LE Sutter Granlund line and lean on them more. 

Which unfortunately leaves the Sedins with a bottom six linemate - although at this point I'd be tempted to move Burrows up with them and let Bo and Baer carry their own line with a lesser winger like Megna.  Somehow I imagine they'll continue to produce nevertheless, but perhaps it's their turn to give up their winger.

Anyhow - Hansen imo is one of the three most important forwards on this club right now - with Horvat and Sutter - and he's a huge loss the effectively makes this team a two as opposed to 3 line team.

At this point I think I'd try this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Eriksson Sutter Granlund

Baertschi Horvat Boucher/Megna

Gaunce Chaput Skille

And to be clear - no disrespect to Rodin but I simply don't believe he's healthy enough to play - and I don't see any point in risking a further setback with him - otherwise he's clearly a good option on the Baer Bo line.

Good post ON.  At this point Burrows is your best option and this doesn't screw up the chemistry of the second line. It would be interesting to see what Boucher could do with Sven and Bo on a triple B line. I can't recall if Skille has ever been tried with those two. He might also be a good option on the third line.

20 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I haven't minded Megna for the most part - at least he's worked hard defensively and has never been a liability - but he did have a pretty poor game tonight and got on my nerves a few times (aside from drawing what could have been a key penalty with 5 minutes left.)   But tbh, this was a game where a number of guys didn't play well - and not the usual suspects, so I'm hesitant to single out Megna.

Still I think everyone, including WD, is aware that he's probably the 12th forward currently - and when the team is healthy, he's probably about 16th, so I'm not sure why people expect much more of him.  He hasn't produced, but he hasn't really hurt the team either.  And the type of role/minutes he's playing are more a matter of fit than they are the misconception that he's a top 6 forward - so I think people misinterpret this fact on a regular basis and assume it means that WD values him more highly than I suspect is the actual case.

For the amount of scoring chances he has gotten, he should have more goals than he does.  Also, it seems that he doesn't use his speed properly.  He is a fast guy but we rarely see any Horvat like rushes from him.  Hansen has about the same speed as Megna but is able to generate rushes like Horvat.  We also rarely see him dump and chase and retrieve the puck.  These are the two things speedy players should do (unless you can dangle the whole team like McDavid) .  It wouldn't hurt to give someone else a shot right? We suck on the road anyhow what is there to lose?

43 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's a tough spot because the next best option after Hansen - Sutter - it's just too important to leave him on his own matchup line.

And I think that despite Loui being the 3rd best option, I'd stick with the LE Sutter Granlund line and lean on them more. 

Which unfortunately leaves the Sedins with a bottom six linemate - although at this point I'd be tempted to move Burrows up with them and let Bo and Baer carry their own line with a lesser winger like Megna.  Somehow I imagine they'll continue to produce nevertheless, but perhaps it's their turn to give up their winger.

Anyhow - Hansen imo is one of the three most important forwards on this club right now - with Horvat and Sutter - and he's a huge loss the effectively makes this team a two as opposed to 3 line team.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Eriksson Sutter Granlund

Gaunce Chaput Skille

And to be clear - no disrespect to Rodin but I simply don't believe he's healthy enough to play - and I don't see any point in risking a further setback with him - otherwise he's clearly a good option on the Baer Bo line.

I agree, I think Granlund-Sutter-Eriksson > Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson at this point and I would play 60-20-21 more than the Sedins at least until Hansen is back.

The thing is that Sedins used to make anybody they played with into a first line player (e.g., Burr, Carter), worst case, a second line player (e.g., Pyatt). The thing is they are no longer our first line, not just by themselves. You put Eriksson with the Sedins, then sure, it's a top 6 line. You put Megna with them, then they are a 3rd line. Their role is now largely determined by who they play with as opposed to the years past where whoever the Sedins played with, that line is our first line. In the past, you could put anyone, even Lastname, and Sedin-Sedin-Lastname would be our first line.

I would try Sedin-Sedin-Burr as you suggested but I hate to break up a line that works as every point matters this point forward. I guess one benefit to putting Boucher on Horvat line is that we will see if Boucher is a sniper that can benefit from playing with elite players or not.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

It's a tough spot because the next best option after Hansen - Sutter - it's just too important to leave him on his own matchup line.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Eriksson Sutter Granlund

Gaunce Chaput Skille

Agreed on the idea of sticking Burrows with the Sedins, keeping Eriksson Sutter and Granlund together and trying Boucher with Bo and Sven. I wouldn't be surprised if we seen these lines next game. It's safe to say this team, especially the Sedins sure miss Hansen alot.

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Good post ON.  At this point Burrows is your best option and this doesn't screw up the chemistry of the second line. It would be interesting to see what Boucher could do with Sven and Bo on a triple B line. I can't recall if Skille has ever been tried with those two. He might also be a good option on the third line.

Skille was tried with those two and they were totally unproductive and even looked disconnected.  Baer and Horvat have different playing styles and it's Burrows that is making the link between the two right now.  I think it's a very poor idea to remove him from their line.  They are trying to develop these players - I think it's critical that they play with a veteran that can help them take that next step with consistency.  

Boucher was waived by Nashville despite them really liking his shot.  He was also very good for them down in Milwaukee on his conditioning assignment.  

It's Megna,

Take him off their wing and play a pylon and it would be about the same result. 

Time me to end the experiment and either call up another AHLer and at least try someone different until Hansen gets back or put Eriksson back with the twins.  Even putting Burrows with them will be a huge improvement over Megna. 

Drop Megna down to the AHL or 4th line until injured players come back and move every other right wing up a line. Then send him down.  I am no NHL coach, but I can see that Megna is lacking the finish needed to play on a NHL first line. 

WD, doing his best to provide a good draft pick to Vancouver, inspite of his players. IMO

EW

2 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It's Megna,

Take him off their wing and play a pylon and it would be about the same result. 

Time me to end the experiment and either call up another AHLer and at least try someone different until Hansen gets back or put Eriksson back with the twins.  Even putting Burrows with them will be a huge improvement over Megna. 

Drop Megna down to the AHL or 4th line until injured players come back and move every other right wing up a line. Then send him down.  I am no NHL coach, but I can see that Megna is lacking the finish needed to play on a NHL first line. 

WD, doing his best to provide a good draft pick to Vancouver, inspite of his players. IMO

EW

Eriksson has played with the Sedins the last two games.  Megna played with Granlund-Sutter in Calgary and in Nashville.

Their line needs a change. Split them up or give them a completely new linemate.

Gaunce, Rodin, Granlund. One of those guys. They need a spark.

Otherwise split up the Sedins, put Daniel with Sutter and Henrik on Horvat's line or on a line of his own. Something's got to change. We've finally clawed our way back into playoff contention, now is not a time to lose that. WD has to do something drastic.

5 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

People, they are 36 years old. Not everyone can pull a Thornton at this age.

They are slowing down and have been on a steady decline for the past 2-3 years. 

This..father time has caught up. They will have a few great games here and there but it's a speed game now in the NHL.

6 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

People, they are 36 years old. Not everyone can pull a Thornton at this age.

They are slowing down and have been on a steady decline for the past 2-3 years. 

Lol reference thorton while yagr almost has a decade on them. 

13 minutes ago, Emmetts said:

Lol reference thorton while yagr almost has a decade on them. 

I think you've identified something with this statement... the Sedins just need to dig deeper and try harder like Joe and Jagr. 

It's seems to me like they are finally realizing their age and letting it deflate them. Forget about your age, boys, and give everything you've got.

I think they'll turn it around after they decide they don't want to completely embarrass themselves. 

Sedin's had a pretty decent game last night and that line generated as many chances or more than our other lines.  I advocated taking a Spurs approach to occasionally resting the twins in season to maximize performance and based on the first few games post xmas break they looked fresherr.  Pay attention post all star and post 5 day break in February and I'm sure we will see a similar pattern.  Stetch has had a tough week and should be put in some lower leverage situations for a bit.

I can see how this thread spawned out of last nights game. Sutter's last minute goal to pull a point out of a dismal performance, only to have the Sedin's rag the puck and waste time in OT like they wanted a shootout. We were given a golden opportunity for a win and squandered it. Nashville got a gift wrapped win as a thank you for letting us tie the game  , because it didn't look like we were playing with any urgency for a win.   

We are all fans of the Sedins but they are 36 and many of us have been pointing out that they are regressing year by year.  Next year should be their last. They are still great leaders and are good examples to the youth. Coaching staff has not came to the same conclusion that most of us have though so don't blame the twins that they are still used the way they are.

I think Horvats line is the number on line and that the twins should be used separately more.  A lot more as they are two slow for this new league. There is still a few teams that you can play them against but in most cases they would be better split up.

I like the fact that we are only about 4 points from dropping back to about 28th place.

Archived