The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter is #2 Forward on this Team

*Buzzsaw*

Putting aside the disappointment of the Nashville loss in OT... I do take one positive from that game.

Brandon Sutter came through in the clutch again.  What can you say... the guy is a STUD when it comes to timely goals.

Just another example of his play this year.  I am really happy with having him on the team.

In my opinion, he is 2nd most valuable forward on the team after Horvat.

He scores... (could have 30 a season easily with the shot he has if he had a set up man)

He kills penalties.

He wins huge numbers of faceoffs, despite having to take most of the D-Zone ones.

He is constantly breaking up the other team's rushes with his backcheck.

He'd do a lot better if Willie D would let him play with Granlund and Eriksson all the time instead of yanking Eriksson off the line to keep the Sedins happy.

Benning should get a pat on the back, Sutter is a bargain at less than 4.4 mil a year. 

He is at the peak of his career and needs to stay with the Canucks long term and remain as part of the rebuild.

10 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

He's a terrible possession play who has speed, a shot, good at faceoffs, and good defensively. He is the only player to play with the twins and be below 50% corsi. 

He is way overpaid and there is an argument to be made that he is our 4th best center.

Simply false.

Hard to argue with anything in the OP.

21 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

He's a terrible possession play who has speed, a shot, good at faceoffs, and good defensively. He is the only player to play with the twins and be below 50% corsi. 

He is way overpaid and there is an argument to be made that he is our 4th best center.

Yea, sorry but that's just not the case. 

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Simply false.

I knew Brandon's cousin would show up in this thread... ;) 

He's been good this year... But I dont see him as the second best forward yet. 

Bo hank Danny are the top 3 

Sutter Hansen Bae are the 4-6 in no particular order... Each have their nights 

Very clutch goal tonight... Saved us a very crucial point. 

9 minutes ago, apollo said:

It's your right to be wrong.

40 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

Nice try but I already used my minus one today... sorry

20 minutes ago, apollo said:

i don't think hank and danny belongs in the top 3 at least not this season.. they have disappear for long long stretches throughout the season so far.. baertschi and bo are out producing ppg over the sedins.. and they are in far fewer offensive situation.. let alone the +/- 

if anything the order should be Bo Baer and then Sutter just coz he scores the clutch goals.. and the guy bitching saying sutter is overpaid and he plays with the sedin.. no he doesn't play with the sedins.. and if you want to talk about overpaid there's plenty of overpaid players on the roster and on other teams too so stop bitching

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Simply false.

Saying "simply false" doesn't make it so.

Look, he's a decent enough 3rd line center but he isn't a top 6 forward. 

He is an extremely high converting forward (high shooting percentage) but unlike Sven he doesn't create chances.

He will regress (I hope he doesn't) but he has never surpassed 40 points in his career and he's almost 28.

1 minute ago, on the cycle said:

Saying "simply false" doesn't make it so.

Look, he's a decent enough 3rd line center but he isn't a top 6 forward. 

He is an extremely high converting forward (high shooting percentage) but unlike Sven he doesn't create chances.

He will regress (I hope he doesn't) but he has never surpassed 40 points in his career and he's almost 28.

we are basing it off his current play this year have nothing to do with stats.. he comes thru in the clutch situation and plays hard.. is he a top 6 forward? maybe borderline? but that doesn't mean he can't be our 2nd 3rd or 4th best forward on the team.. playing on the top 6 doesn't automatically make you the top 6 forwards on the team..

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

we are basing it off his current play this year have nothing to do with stats.. he comes thru in the clutch situation and plays hard.. is he a top 6 forward? maybe borderline? but that doesn't mean he can't be our 2nd 3rd or 4th best forward on the team.. playing on the top 6 doesn't automatically make you the top 6 forwards on the team..

He's not our 2nd best forward. The twins, Horvat, and Baertschi are all still better. That puts him at #5. 

He gets more Ice time than any forward ( 19:30 avg)

We don't have a good top 6. I still think Eriksson is better than Sutter in terms of all around game and should be saddled with the twins the rest of the year.

Look if you want to talk realistically about players let's talk........but if you want to go off into a fantasy land and vehemently reject a point with no counter argument I will just ignore you.

BTW Sutter's corsi with the twins was about 33%.Eriksson with the twins was 55%.

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Putting aside the disappointment of the Nashville loss in OT... I do take one positive from that game.

Brandon Sutter came through in the clutch again.  What can you say... the guy is a STUD when it comes to timely goals.

Just another example of his play this year.  I am really happy with having him on the team.

In my opinion, he is 2nd most valuable forward on the team after Horvat.

He scores... (could have 30 a season easily with the shot he has if he had a set up man)

He kills penalties.

He wins huge numbers of faceoffs, despite having to take most of the D-Zone ones.

He is constantly breaking up the other team's rushes with his backcheck.

He'd do a lot better if Willie D would let him play with Granlund and Eriksson all the time instead of yanking Eriksson off the line to keep the Sedins happy.

Benning should get a pat on the back, Sutter is a bargain at less than 4.4 mil a year. 

He is at the peak of his career and needs to stay with the Canucks long term and remain as part of the rebuild.

Agreed along with the addition of him being a foundational piece to our team!

Sutter is not the 2nd best forward on the team, not even close.

When Sutter is on the ice even strength the canucks are only scoring 35.6% of goals for. 

In the league, he ranks 127th out of 132 in Goals for % Relative to his teammates, out of forwards that have had more then 500+ ES minutes.

goaltendingByPlayer-1617-VAN.png

Could be argued that he's the worst center on our team.

Considering the amount of time he's spent with the Sedins this isn't remotely close

But what good is winning faceoffs when you are just fishing the puck out of your own net at the end of the shift

Sutter has a really god damn bad contract.

I find it hilarious that the guy who made that chart is @ ineffectivemath.

LOL. Says it all right there.

Sutter isn't the only one finding it difficult to score, it's the whole team. You don't need fancy stats to understand that. You need just to watch last night's game. 

Archived