The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Gudbranson to Devils

2 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Un-f##cking-believavble

just goes to show most fans wouldn't know a good defenseman if he blind-side-head-hunted them

Gudbransson has been awful just awful, the play dies on his stick, he actual;ly actively makes this a worse team when he steps on the ice, he does  not have the skills to be on NHL ice NHL  and you want to trade him for a top score?

The ONLY reason this guy is on our team is because McCann has the personality of hot diarrhea ,m and he needed to be shipped out as quickly as possible. 

Guy, look...I would have loved it if this guy had worked out, it would have been awesome to have a punishing D-man with that kind of size. but this guy was drafted on the hope that his skills would someday catch up with his size, 4-5 years later or whatever it's been, the guy has definitively shown that he was not what the scouts thought he was

He can't move the puck, He doesn't know how to use his size to win puck battles, he is poor defensively, offense is non existent, he doesn't have the skill to participate in developing plays, the guys on the ice have to work around him. He doesn't have the skill to play violently thus the only time he can get physical is after the whistle.

I'd be down to move him to the wing and let him be a 4th line enforcer, old school style, and maybe have him take the odd shift up and down the line up, just to keep the other   team honest, but as a NHL defenseman? the fantasy id over kids, time to wake up

Uh huh. Don't take my word for it. Willie Mitchell loves the kid, and he was Florida's best D man in the playoffs. Let me guess... you hate Mitchell too?

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Uh huh. Don't take my word for it. Willie Mitchell loves the kid, and he was Florida's best D man in the playoffs. Let me guess... you hate Mitchell too?

I don't agree with that poster's opinion but Gudbranson for Duchene is laughable. The difference between the two is a vast gulf and that 2nd you tacked on there at the end almost an insult. You don't get a #1C for a guy that hasn't even established himself as a top 4 defenseman on this team.

9 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

No,

McCann had to go regardless of skill

His personality was intolerable and it would have been impossible to have him around

McCann was not a Hockey trade, it was a flushing of the toilet

Over exaggerating much?  My god, the kid might have a little attitude (pretty sure he's not the first, nor the last), but as a 19 years old rookie playing on the fourth line, I doubt he had any impact on the team's locker room.  You make him sound like McCann was a cancer in the room, that was not the case.  Does he have some maturing to do, sure, but to make him sound like nobody wants to touch him with a 10 foot pole, is exaggerating.

Then, why every hockey insider pretty much said that Vancouver paid a hefty price for Gudbranson?

When you flush something down the toilet, normally it's because it doesn't have much value.

10 hours ago, Toews said:

I don't agree with that poster's opinion but Gudbranson for Duchene is laughable. The difference between the two is a vast gulf and that 2nd you tacked on there at the end almost an insult. You don't get a #1C for a guy that hasn't even established himself as a top 4 defenseman on this team.

Duchene isn't a 1C, he's a 2C. Guddy and a 2nd isn't that far off Hall for Larson. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Duchene isn't a 1C, he's a 2C. Guddy and a 2nd isn't that far off Hall for Larson. 

James Duthie on 1040 this morning said the same.  He felt, from what he's heard, that both .Duchene and Landeskog will return similar to what Hall returned: a defensive dman.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

James Duthie on 1040 this morning said the same.  He felt, from what he's heard, that both .Duchene and Landeskog will return similar to what Hall returned: a defensive dman.  

Then I'm a genius :P

Maybe its Guddy, 2nd and a good prospect but where are they going to get more for their 2C? 

Gudbranson has been, undoubtedly, less than stellar. However, I still find myself intrigued by his potential and want to see his play over a couple seasons before declaring him a bust. I'd love to see a Gudbranson/Tryamkin pairing, playing 15-16 minutes a game w/ Tanev and Sbisa playing with Hutton and Stetcher while Pedan, eventually, fills the seventh d man spot, thus, exposing Biega to the expansion draft with  Edler. I would, fully, expect Alex to be picked up, dropping 6 mil. off the books. 

Of course, Guddy is an RFA, but I don't see any team signing him for more than Vancouver would offer. If there is, however, a willing suiter, I take the compensation and run laughing to the 2018 draft.

At the end of the day I, firmly, believe JB will not be parting with any of his, recently, acquired pieces. This being said, maybe a Burrows could be available as a depth piece for a playoff team for a lower round draft pick but I don't see the Devils being a good match in a trade situation.

If however, somebody with initials TH were to be available, a re-evaluation would become necessary. It would be great to see him stick it to a certain team on a regular basis.

I disagree, a couple of years ago he had back to back seasons where he was close to ppg. The Avs have been a dysfunctional team for a while now. Even this year when most of the team has pretty much checked out Duchene is one of the few still giving it his all and is more often than not the most dangerous player on the ice. I don't think Gudbranson is going to be the piece that is going to fetch an asset like Duchene. Not to mention the fact that the Avs desperately need LHD and not RHD. Gudbranson isn't an upgrade on either Barrie or EJ.

31 minutes ago, Toews said:

I disagree, a couple of years ago he had back to back seasons where he was close to ppg. The Avs have been a dysfunctional team for a while now. Even this year when most of the team has pretty much checked out Duchene is one of the few still giving it his all and is more often than not the most dangerous player on the ice. I don't think Gudbranson is going to be the piece that is going to fetch an asset like Duchene. Not to mention the fact that the Avs desperately need LHD and not RHD. Gudbranson isn't an upgrade on either Barrie or EJ.

Would you do Tanev for Duchene, direct swap?

Would you do Tanev for Duchene, direct swap?

No, it would be plugging a hole to open up another. I don't think anyone on the roster can handle Tanev's minutes and do it well. Guddy and Stecher have to show way more to entertain the possibility of moving Tanev.

15 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Who? Edler? NTC

Yes Edler! This is the only move that make sense and Ill be more than pissed if we don't do that.

Here is how it works: tell Edler that we will expose him for the expansion draft (NTC doesn't have to be protected)

So either he waives or he's going to play for Vegas next year. And I think in this scenario he would waive and fetch

us a 1st or prospect (like Kapanen, although it makes more sense to trade Edler to a contender) and if we retain 50% 

it could be more.

As so many people here got different opinions on our dman (Sbisa hate and Guddy overrating) I would like to rank them

and see what you guys think. This is just meant as performance on ice THIS year.. not age, contract..

1. Tanev

2. Sbisa Stecher Edler Hutton Tryamkin (they are pretty much on the same level Imo)

3. Biega 

4. Gudbranson (he's been absolutely awful, I agree with terrible.dee's post. Although I think he will improve as he reminds

me of Sbisa 2,5 years ago. Also trading McCann was necessary as I think he never wanted to be here

5. Larson nuff said

Anyway the only player I would like to lose is Edler as it would get us a decent return and we get to keep Sbisa and expose Biega.

EDIT: It's also the last chance to get rid of Edler or he will play out his contract and leave for nothing or retire. We are rebuilding and

need to get something for our assets!

1 hour ago, Toews said:

No, it would be plugging a hole to open up another. I don't think anyone on the roster can handle Tanev's minutes and do it well. Guddy and Stecher have to show way more to entertain the possibility of moving Tanev.

Seems like it might be our best option tho for really good top 2 C with Duchene and Horvat... with OJ developing I'd be OK with the 1-2 painful seasons while OJ and Stecher improve.

Plus we could go out and sign a veteran D guy on a short contract with Burr's deal gone. There's actually going to be a lot of free agent D this off season that could help fill in for a couple of seasons (https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2018/caphit/all/defense)

Horvat-Ducehne-Sutter-Chaput? Not the biggest bunch but would be very good defensively and might be the best FO% group as a whole in the West. 

4 hours ago, Nathancanuck said:

Yes Edler! This is the only move that make sense and Ill be more than pissed if we don't do that.

Here is how it works: tell Edler that we will expose him for the expansion draft (NTC doesn't have to be protected)

So either he waives or he's going to play for Vegas next year. And I think in this scenario he would waive and fetch

us a 1st or prospect (like Kapanen, although it makes more sense to trade Edler to a contender) and if we retain 50% 

it could be more.

As so many people here got different opinions on our dman (Sbisa hate and Guddy overrating) I would like to rank them

and see what you guys think. This is just meant as performance on ice THIS year.. not age, contract..

1. Tanev

2. Sbisa Stecher Edler Hutton Tryamkin (they are pretty much on the same level Imo)

3. Biega 

4. Gudbranson (he's been absolutely awful, I agree with terrible.dee's post. Although I think he will improve as he reminds

me of Sbisa 2,5 years ago. Also trading McCann was necessary as I think he never wanted to be here

5. Larson nuff said

Anyway the only player I would like to lose is Edler as it would get us a decent return and we get to keep Sbisa and expose Biega.

EDIT: It's also the last chance to get rid of Edler or he will play out his contract and leave for nothing or retire. We are rebuilding and

need to get something for our assets!

That's a D-bag thing to do to Edler when he's been nothing but loyal to the franchise. Asking him is one thing, threatening him is another...

9 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

That's a D-bag thing to do to Edler when he's been nothing but loyal to the franchise. Asking him is one thing, threatening him is another...

Why? He's just not as good and we give him the choice to go to a contender, if he refuses he'll get exposed.

We can't let all our assets just retire as Canucks...

EDIT: No difference than exposing Hansen

5 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

Why? He's just not as good and we give him the choice to go to a contender, if he refuses he'll get exposed.

We can't let all our assets just retire as Canucks...

EDIT: No difference than exposing Hansen

He's not good? Sorry am I misreading you? He's arguably our best Dman and a decent cap hit. You don't expose him that's pure idiocy.

25 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

He's not good? Sorry am I misreading you? He's arguably our best Dman and a decent cap hit. You don't expose him that's pure idiocy.

Tanev is better and I don't think Edler is much better than any of our other D which are about 5+ years younger..

If we would be competing for the cup he would be a keeper but we are rebuilding so that's why I'd rather

lose him than any other of the D. Keeping him and getting nothing for him is stupid!

Archived