The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] : Canucks Won't Sell Off Draft Picks for Playoff Push

HorvatToBaertschi

http://www.thescore.com/news/1204199 (via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

Report: Canucks won't offer draft picks to aid playoff push
Sean O'Leary Jan 12, 2017 00:19

The Vancouver Canucks reportedly won't mortgage their future at the expense of a playoff berth.

Picked by many to be a lottery team come June's draft, Vancouver is surprisingly in the thick of the Western Conference playoff race in the weak Pacific Division. The Canucks are currently one spot outside a postseason position, tied with the Kings, who own two games in hand.

However, despite being within striking distance, Canucks' management won't sacrifice their future by trading draft picks for short-term help, reports ESPN's Pierre LeBrun.

Saved by superb goaltending this season, the Canucks aging roster ranks 22nd in the NHL with 102 goals, and owns a troubling minus-17 goal differential.

For this reason, among others, and due to the long-term rebuild that team president Trevor Linden hopes to initiate, the Canucks are reportedly sticking to their plans.

I think this is good news and I think fellow CDC ers will be happy as well. Good PR move. 

All I needed to hear. Whatever plan Lindenning's got goin, as long as we're not trading away our future core pieces and trading away our picks, I'll be happy.

Hopefully we are sellers this TDL. And hope management stay true to their word.

9 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Thank goodness

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Canucks will forever have an "aging roster" even when they don't.

This doesn't mean much though. Benning can still make a trade for a player that either has term or is a pending RFA and say that they're part of the future.

then you see a boeser for  e kane happen lol

25 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

For this reason, among others, and due to the long-term rebuild that team president Trevor Linden hopes to initiate, the Canucks are reportedly sticking to their plans.

17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Derp.

Herpa

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Canucks will forever have an "aging roster" even when they don't.

This doesn't mean much though. Benning can still make a trade for a player that either has term or is a pending RFA and say that they're part of the future.

As long as JB doesn't get fleeced and overpay for the player(s) and then hand out NMC's like they are candy, then it could work in the Canucks' favour.  This team is going to live or die on the decisions he makes in the next 2 years.

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah! I'm so sick of Benning selling off our future at the trade deadline for rentals!

......oh wait, he's never done that.

The article is just talking about this season.  It's been a concern with people on CDC for a while now. 

Obviously we shouldn't spend picks and/or prospects for rental players... but if a player on a longer deal is available, then they definitely should.

I'd have no problem selling assets to get a guy like Duchene or Landeskog... if we sold for a guy like Iginla, then I'd have problems. 

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah! I'm so sick of Benning selling off our future at the trade deadline for rentals!

........wait, he's never done that since he's been here? Is that right?

Thank you, finally a sensible response. A lot of shade being dropped with no facts to back it up. The plan has never changed from the perspective of management, just the outside world's ever changing perception.

Archived