The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] : Canucks Won't Sell Off Draft Picks for Playoff Push

HorvatToBaertschi

Makes sense.

The first crop of Benning's drafted players are finally showing up in the NHL and AHL and make an impact. And he, more or less, got a good group of players that are in the 22-26 age range that were a black hole to this franchise with the additions of Demko, Granlund, Baertschi, Gudbranson, Hutton, Boucher, Chaput, and Rodin) -- and with his drafting accumen, seems like we're going to get a good group of 20 year olds making their AHL debuts next season (Neill, Olson, MacKenzie, Juolevi, Abols, Gaudette) -- so it makes sense to try and acquire picks to further strengthen the prospect pool rather than weaken it. Best scenario now is that the Canucks shed a Skille or Megna and acquire another skilled forward being buried by their team ala a Baertschi without giving up a pick.

Though they may add a piece or trade a piece away at the deadline, I don't expect the Canucks to be major players or sellers. The expansion draft complicates things this year. Chances are any big moves by the Canucks will be made at the draft which will, of course, be post expansion draft. So we'll see.

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I could worry that an old Russian satellite will come crashing down and land on my house, since that's possible, but it's probably more reasonable not to.

I have just known too many fairly rich people.  They despise losing money.  The richer they are, the more they hate it.  I've been wondering if that instinctive trait would kick in with Aquilini.

just curious

i noticed this post was started around 4 pm

and cites an article dated tomorrow... january 12, 2017

there must be a sensible explanation for this

but it does not come to my mind

unless the writer in on vacation in europe when it was written and submitted ?

i have become more cautious about any so called news in the current environment where there is a lot of fake news

so this is a pretty neutral article.. not political.. but wondered about the date/time discrepancy anyway

23 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Which D-man can they afford to trade that would bring a worthwhile return?  Not Sbisa.

If they don't move Sbisa or Tanev then they will lose one of them in expansion. So unless they don't consider Sbisa valuable or no one wants him........

Just now, coastal.view said:

just curious

i noticed this post was started around 4 pm

and cites an article dated tomorrow... january 12, 2017

there must be a sensible explanation for this

but it does not come to my mind

unless the writer in on vacation in europe when it was written and submitted ?

i have become more cautious about any so called news in the current environment where there is a lot of fake news

so this is a pretty neutral article.. not political.. but wondered about the date/time discrepancy anyway

Time traveling poster!!!!  _illuminati__by_romenx-d8906nm.gif

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

If they don't move Sbisa or Tanev then they will lose one of them in expansion. So unless they don't consider Sbisa valuable or no one wants him........

Sbisa may just go in the expansion draft.  It's possible...

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Sbisa may just go in the expansion draft.  It's possible...

If all they can get is a second or third then you keep him because he would probably get taken over say, Granlund. It just depends on how he is perceived right now around the league. He has made some real strides forward this year and is still very young.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Who knows...  The expansion draft has supposedly changed the way teams are doing business this year.

I predict JB does not sell off any players by the TDL.  I base this prediction on JB never selling off expiring assets.  

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

If all they can get is a second or third then you keep him because he would probably get taken over say, Granlund. It just depends on how he is perceived right now around the league. He has made some real strides forward this year and is still very young.

Too bad we can't sit in on one of these meetings to know what Vegas is thinking...  http://puckprose.com/2016/12/12/las-vegas-golden-knights-mock-draft/

Archived