The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] : Canucks Won't Sell Off Draft Picks for Playoff Push

HorvatToBaertschi

1 hour ago, on the cycle said:

Well....... why.....why would they?

I'm discouraged that it doesn't sound like they will be actively trying to acquire picks and prospects either. So....I guess we're sitting tight this season?

Then you didn't hear him he said he'll entertain trades from Vets if they come to him and ask to be moved to a contender, thats not only fair its classy. The kind of manager a UFA would like to sign with once we have rebuilt and challenging for a stanely cup.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

The only players that the Canucks have that would bring them any worthwhile return are the Sedins (not going to be traded) and the young guys on the team (It would be counterproductive to trade youth). 

The Sedins are NOT the only veterans worth something @ trade deadline. If I have to explain to you its not worth it your too stupid.

6 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

The Sedins are NOT the only veterans worth something @ trade deadline. If I have to explain to you its not worth it your too stupid.

I said a "worthwhile" return.  You can trade all of the vets that you want, but the return will not be there especially this year with the expansion draft hanging over all 30 rosters.

33 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

Tryamkin, Demko and Boeser all disagree with that statement. Benning has been showing us his skill since his first draft.

Yes, but if he had 2nd rounder with him, he would have gotten them both ready to play this year but they didn't have that.   We have all picks in first four rounds, something we didn't have that since forever when we used that for rentals in the past.   Not to mention an extra pick in Columbus' 2nd pick for Torts in either 2017 or 2018.   We are in a good position wherever we finish up. 

58 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

yes then we could expose kane to the expansion draft

and maybe he'd be chosen ahead of granlund ?

Like when we got Vanbriesbook to protect Whitmore .... and the he took Florida to the final three years later (a bona fide wtf moment in our history)

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

just curious

i noticed this post was started around 4 pm

and cites an article dated tomorrow... january 12, 2017

there must be a sensible explanation for this

but it does not come to my mind

unless the writer in on vacation in europe when it was written and submitted ?

Time stamp was just after midnight tomorrow morning, and seems to have arrived here today just after 4pm Vancouver time. So probably posted from somewhere in the UK or Ireland (eight hours time difference). Writer is Sean O'Leary, which is a pretty Irish name, although he could easily be posting anywhere in the GMT time zone, from Greenland to Ghana and points in between.

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Like when we got Vanbriesbook to protect Whitmore .... and the he took Florida to the final three years later (a bona fide wtf moment in our history)

well there is an example for sure

but let's not be silly and suggest kane is in or near vanbriesbrooks class

and that vegas has any shot of going to the finals within 3 years

but vegas and kane kinda fit together like hand in glove

i recall some pic of him before in vegas   .:P

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Obviously we shouldn't spend picks and/or prospects for rental players... but if a player on a longer deal is available, then they definitely should.

I'd have no problem selling assets to get a guy like Duchene or Landeskog... if we sold for a guy like Iginla, then I'd have problems. 

Dushene or Landeskog is going to cost a 1st and a good young prospect, do you really want to go down that road.

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah! I'm so sick of Benning selling off our future at the trade deadline for rentals!

......oh wait, he's never done that.

Nope he does it mid season or off season 

Be nice if this organization could go 1 decade with selling futures for mediocrity in a mad dash to make the playoffs and fight to the middle.

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

Well there is an example for sure.

But let's not be silly and suggest Kane is in or near Vanbriesbrooks class and that Vegas has any shot of going to the finals within 3 years.

Vegas and Kane kinda fit together like hand in glove.

I recall some pic of him before in Vegas.   .:P

Just getting things so that people can read it!

7 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well there is an example for sure

but let's not be silly and suggest kane is in or near vanbriesbrooks class

and that vegas has any shot of going to the finals within 3 years

but vegas and kane kinda fit together like hand in glove

i recall some pic of him before in vegas   .:P

He owns a luxury suite in a condominium in Vegas that he often stays at.

13 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Time stamp was just after midnight tomorrow morning, and seems to have arrived here today just after 4pm Vancouver time. So probably posted from somewhere in the UK or Ireland (eight hours time difference). Writer is Sean O'Leary, which is a pretty Irish name, although he could easily be posting anywhere in the GMT time zone, from Greenland to Ghana and points in between.

NO NO NO!!

Time traveling poster!!!! _illuminati__by_romenx-d8906nm.gif

16 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Yes, but if he had 2nd rounder with him, he would have gotten them both ready to play this year but they didn't have that.   We have all picks in first four rounds, something we didn't have that since forever when we used that for rentals in the past.   Not to mention an extra pick in Columbus' 2nd pick for Torts in either 2017 or 2018.   We are in a good position wherever we finish up. 

Saying we have more picks then before does not = Benning didn't have a chance to showcase his skills in previous drafts. That was what you implied. I agree we are in good shape though.

Archived