The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] : Canucks Won't Sell Off Draft Picks for Playoff Push

HorvatToBaertschi

44 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

Saying we have more picks then before does not = Benning didn't have a chance to showcase his skills in previous drafts. That was what you implied. I agree we are in good shape though.

Yes, he had more picks but that's in latter rounds, which means, less opportunity to make a quality pick for a quality player.  I am a believer that you also use draft pick to build your farm system so that they will be more organized than a journeyman with many teams on AHL roster when they do jump up.  Most AHL teams are not organized and tend to be more of a scramble nature of AHL games than NHL so you use latter round of pick for AHL purpose as well with a slim chance of making the NHL team.   Use whole range of picks for AHL as well even knowing he has no chance for NHL.   See any type of hole to be filled up, use draft to fill up AHL roster holes.  Use 4th or 5th rounder for a 1st liner or a top D in AHL setting with a low chance of making the NHL and also you have got 5 years of their RFA service after their 2 years of juniors.  So you will need to fill holes once every 5 years compared to NHL where you may need to fill holes once every 10-15 years.   You also do not want any journeymen on your AHL roster with a few exemption, if he is home-grown player and decided to stick to the same AHL team and that's very rare because most of them seek opportunities to make NHL with other organization. 

I like the dynamics of being in a playoff race that the youth of the team will be exposed to rather than playing for nothing to earn.

The second half of the season is when the men seperate themselves from being boys or baggage.

After three years with Linden and Benning I am still on board with them.

10 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Yes, he had more picks but that's in latter rounds, which means, less opportunity to make a quality pick for a quality player.  I am a believer that you also use draft pick to build your farm system so that they will be more organized than a journeyman with many teams on AHL roster when they do jump up.  Most AHL teams are not organized and tend to be more of a scramble nature of AHL games than NHL so you use latter round of pick for AHL purpose as well with a slim chance of making the NHL team.   Use whole range of picks for AHL as well even knowing he has no chance for NHL.   See any type of hole to be filled up, use draft to fill up AHL roster holes.  Use 4th or 5th rounder for a 1st liner or a top D in AHL setting with a low chance of making the NHL and also you have got 5 years of their RFA service after their 2 years of juniors.  So you will need to fill holes once every 5 years compared to NHL where you may need to fill holes once every 10-15 years.   You also do not want any journeymen on your AHL roster with a few exemption, if he is home-grown player and decided to stick to the same AHL team and that's very rare because most of them seek opportunities to make NHL with other organization. 

I agree that the farm needs to be built, but no GM in the NHL is going to use a draft pick specifically for their AHL team. 

Archived