The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Deadline

saw234

With the Canucks treading water surprisingly but clearly not contending as they stick to their retooling plan, the Canucks could speed things up by getting younger and acquiring better draft positions. I propose the following:

Vancouver gets: Lazar, Ryan and Ott 2nd 

Ottawa gets: Daniel and Henrik Sedin and Van 5th.

Reasoning for Ottawa: Lazar hasn't panned out and could use a change of scenery. Bobby Ryan hasn't played up to potential although being immensely talented. He has a massive contract which hinders them as well. They want to contend but have the leagues 25th best offense. Not good enough to contend even with the defense and goaltending they've gotten. 

Reasoning for Vancouver: New environments for Lazar and Ryan could pay huge dividends and in the long term win the trade for Vancouver, potentially. They get younger and kickstarts a new era in Vancouver which the fans desperately want to see. Also the draft pick swap will favour them.

Reasoning for Sedins: They get an opportunity to contend with players that they are familiar with such as Karlsson. They still get to play in Canada and are already locks for being among the greatest players in Canucks history. Time for them to get one more crack at a cup. 

Vancouver gets: Pavelec, 3rd

Winnipeg gets: Miller

Reasoning for Winnipeg: Miller has been stealing games for a very mediocre Canucks team. The Jets goaltending is their weak link and having a goalie of Miller's calibre could help mentor their young goaltenders and backstop them to contend. Miller's contract also expires at the end of the season which lets them off the hook come expansion draft time.

Reasoning for Vancouver: Vancouver decides to sell and get what they can for rental players. We bring in a competent goalie in Pavelec. This allows Markstrom more playing time and the Canucks gain a draft pick as well. 

Thoughts? 

I would consider a deal with Ottawa with Ryan as the centerpiece, but I'm concerned about what's happened with Lazar.  He had mono apparently, but still 0 points in 19 games is pretty concerning.  If we're going to take him we should get at least one more pick/ player back in return if the Sens decide to give up and dump him.

For the Miller deal I'm sure we could find better.  St. Louis might even want to kick the tires given how Jake Allen has struggled (gotten pulled several times in the past couple of games), and then there's the likes of Dallas with Lehtonen struggling.  They might be in the same boat as Winnipeg if they want to shed a declining veteran goalie and get Miller to bolster any chances they still have, and same with LA since Quick is out long-term.  Budaj's held his own but wonder if they'd take a kick at the can for a pending UFA. Regardless hope they can get value for him. 

I think they'd use Lazar as trade bait for a move in order to contend short term. In which case, I think we can afford the time he'd need to develop well with other young guys. Bobby Ryan I think would excite fans and take the sting away from trading Sedins. We could adjust picks/prospects though.

I think we could get more for Miller as well but we need to think about expansion draft too. 

Ottawa has no 2nd round picks for the next two years and Van may not have a 5th pick this year

I think the Sedins could garner a 1st and maybe Sieloff along with Ryan and Lazar.

and there were rumblings that Dallas might kick the tires at Miler for Niemi, rights for Nich and a 3rd. (it kinda seems like a lot for a rental but who knows stranger things have happened lol)  I could see maybe Niemi and Nich or Niemi and 3rd, it be awesome it we got all three for Miller

12 minutes ago, Odjick_fan said:

Ottawa has no 2nd round picks for the next two years and Van may not have a 5th pick this year

I think the Sedins could garner a 1st and maybe Sieloff along with Ryan and Lazar.

and there were rumblings that Dallas might kick the tires at Miler for Niemi, rights for Nich and a 3rd. (it kinda seems like a lot for a rental but who knows stranger things have happened lol)  I could see maybe Niemi and Nich or Niemi and 3rd, it be awesome it we got all three for Miller

Since Miller was Ruff's goalie for most of the years that he coached here in Buffalo, it's possible that they could want him in Dallas, but I would be surprised if Miller fetched a premium.

Bobby Ryan based on talent and age might be a guy we want as the centerpiece of a trade for the Sedins, but Bobby Ryan the competitor is not.  Anaheim ditched him, he's good but not great in Ottawa, but on a big contract mostly due to potential.  He's not a guy you build around for a true heart and soul guy.

If the Sedins were ever to be traded (VERY unlikely), I agree it's a team like Ottawa or maybe Detroit that he would go to.  Likely won't happen, but Chabot would have to be a centerpiece of a deal coming back to us for us to consider.  They do really need offense, so maybe they'd try to make this massive move.

I think if the Sedins were ever to move it would be down to Ottawa, Nashville or Detroit. From Ottawa it'd be interesting. From Nashville, I think Colin Wilson becomes the centrepiece. From Detroit, I think Mantha is the centrepiece. 

Thus the proposal part. I would prefer to see this course and have Sedins immortalized in Canucks history after retirement rather than prolong a semi productive but inevitable goodbye. They deserve better and Trevor knows it too. 

17 hours ago, saw234 said:

With the Canucks treading water surprisingly but clearly not contending as they stick to their retooling plan, the Canucks could speed things up by getting younger and acquiring better draft positions. I propose the following:

Reasoning for Ottawa: Lazar hasn't panned out and could use a change of scenery. Bobby Ryan hasn't played up to potential although being immensely talented. He has a massive contract which hinders them as well. They want to contend but have the leagues 25th best offense. Not good enough to contend even with the defense and goaltending they've gotten. 

Reasoning for Vancouver: New environments for Lazar and Ryan could pay huge dividends and in the long term win the trade for Vancouver, potentially. They get younger and kickstarts a new era in Vancouver which the fans desperately want to see. Also the draft pick swap will favour them.

Reasoning for Sedins: They get an opportunity to contend with players that they are familiar with such as Karlsson. They still get to play in Canada and are already locks for being among the greatest players in Canucks history. Time for them to get one more crack at a cup. 

Reasoning for Winnipeg: Miller has been stealing games for a very mediocre Canucks team. The Jets goaltending is their weak link and having a goalie of Miller's calibre could help mentor their young goaltenders and backstop them to contend. Miller's contract also expires at the end of the season which lets them off the hook come expansion draft time.

Reasoning for Vancouver: Vancouver decides to sell and get what they can for rental players. We bring in a competent goalie in Pavelec. This allows Markstrom more playing time and the Canucks gain a draft pick as well. 

Thoughts? 

I'd rather have the Islander's 1st-2017, Barzal and Lee. Barzal could be our first line center in a couple years and we would get 2 top 10 picks in this years draft and Lee is a good young power forward that plays a heavy game. With guys like Horvat, Tryamkin, Gudbranson and Virtanen you can see that J.B. is attempting to build a bigger, faster team that can compete physically.

17 hours ago, saw234 said:

Thoughts? 

Love the first trade, sending the Twins to Ottawa.  I could cheer for Ottawa, with the Twins. 

3 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

I'd rather have the Islander's 1st-2017, Barzal and Lee. Barzal could be our first line center in a couple years and we would get 2 top 10 picks in this years draft and Lee is a good young power forward that plays a heavy game. With guys like Horvat, Tryamkin, Gudbranson and Virtanen you can see that J.B. is attempting to build a bigger, faster team that can compete physically.

I would do that deal.  For cap reasons, they would want to/need to include the bad contracts of Kulemin and Grabovski (injured) in the deal as well.  Both those contracts have an extra year on them, similar to the Sedins.

I don't think the Sedins would waive their NTC's to go to a team even worse than the Canucks like the struggling Islanders.  They are third worst in the league.

Archived