The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver-Toronto

Typically not one for trade proposals but I've been thinking about this one for a while.

Toronto gets 

Tanev

Vancouver gets

Kasperi Kapanen

2017 2nd

Why Vancouver does this

This is a move for the future. After the last couple years of drafting many defensman we have a surplus in up and comers. All the while our forward prospect depth is lacking. 

Why Toronto does this

It's been rumored that Toronto is looking to move Kapanen for a defenseman. Tanev had a great showing with Reilly at the wold championship this past year so there is already some chemistry.

Like I said I'm not usually a trade proposal guy but I'm still interested in what you guys think.

Have at 'er.

Not sure why, but I feel the Canucks need some more.  Refreshing in the sense that this is one proposal where the other GM doesn't hang up laughing, but I think the Canucks could get a little more.  Either a slight upgrade in prospect, or upgrade in pick (even if it means the Canucks add a later pick), or another pick, etc.

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Not sure why, but I feel the Canucks need some more.  Refreshing in the sense that this is one proposal where the other GM doesn't hang up laughing, but I think the Canucks could get a little more.  Either a slight upgrade in prospect, or upgrade in pick (even if it means the Canucks add a later pick), or another pick, etc.

Admittedly I am pretty high on kappanen so your assessment is fair. 

31 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Typically not one for trade proposals but I've been thinking about this one for a while.

Toronto gets 

Tanev

Vancouver gets

Kasperi Kapanen

2017 2nd

Why Vancouver does this

This is a move for the future. After the last couple years of drafting many defensman we have a surplus in up and comers. All the while our forward prospect depth is lacking. 

Why Toronto does this

It's been rumored that Toronto is looking to move Kapanen for a defenseman. Tanev had a great showing with Reilly at the wold championship this past year so there is already some chemistry.

Like I said I'm not usually a trade proposal guy but I'm still interested in what you guys think.

Have at 'er.

I like it, I think both teams could have serious discussions  on this one and would benefit both teams.

All Canadian Trade :)

At least your valuation on Tanev isn't ridiculous. I think its fair. Where I stumble here is with where I see Kasper fitting on this team especially once Boeser arrives. Overall though I like it we could use more shooters. Im assuming it wouldn't be their sharks 2nd were talikn Toronto's 2nd likely in the 38th overall range. Ya i'd do it. Not for the Sharks 2nd though. 

I like it and think it's fair. But I do agree with Wilbur that Shanny would have to sweeten the pot.

My only concern would be whether moving Christopher would mean that Guddy gets re-signed. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of that idea.

17 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Canucks get shafted in this? Make it a 1st and it would be fair. 

Considering the Larsen/Hall trade, Tanev is worth Landeskog.  And why on God's green earth would we gift Toronto exactly what they need?  

You sir poster are correct.  

59 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Toronto gets 

Tanev

Vancouver gets

Kasperi Kapanen

2017 2nd

Why Vancouver does this

Why Toronto does this

Have at 'er.

Why would the Canucks throw away such an asset?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Considering the Larsen/Hall trade, Tanev is worth Landeskog.  And why on God's green earth would we gift Toronto exactly what they need?  

You sir poster are correct.  

Yes, this seems like a let's trade Tanev for whatever we can get kind of deal. Tanev would be a top pairing guy on a lot of teams and that would include the Laffs. 

I think that we are trading a first pairing right shot defenseman who is one of the best shut down guys in the NHL.   I think the value is low.  Kapanen is a great prospect but I would go for Nylander.  I think he is a better, more proven prospect.  I think that, much like with Adam Larson, Tanev is a tough guy to come by and it better be good if we are giving him up.

Tanev and Gaunce

For

Nylander, Bracco, and a 2nd

Keep in mind, Tanev and Reilly played great together and will be a first pairing d for them for 7 years or more.  The leafs have plenty of skilled fast forward prospects but they don't have anyone like Tanev or even close.

48 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I like it, I think both teams could have serious discussions  on this one and would benefit both teams.

All Canadian Trade :)

Over 20 years without a championship. I think it would be good for Canadian teams to work viable trades to help each other improve(fu bettman) as much as I hate TO habs and Cal 

People need to stop quoting the Hall trade like that has any impact on other trades. It was a case of a team  having a very specific need and want who had the expendable assets to over pay with.  If Tanev gets moved I would be flabbergasted if the return was anywhere close to a player of Hall's quality.  

Reading the replies here I think a lot of you are seriously underestimating Kapanen. If he wasn't in a Toronto organization stacked with young talent he would definitely be in the NHL. The fact that the terms 'fast' and 'dynamic' are used about his game frequently are exactly what the Canucks need... especially with recent drafts choosing size and then position over skill. 

This year he is legitimately ripping apart the AHL. 32 points in 32 games. I would love to see someone of his skilled pedigree in a Canucks uniform.

As far as everyone continually comparing trading Tanev to the Larsson for Hall trade... STOP.
Regardless of the fact that Larsson is 3 years younger and has a much higher ceiling, the Devils were able to take advantage of a team desperate to find a defenceman. They wanted to move RNH or Eberle but noone was willing to give up a young top 4 D for either of them. I'd be more inclined to consider the Kulikov trade an equivalent comparison... A decent young defenceman and a 3rd round pick (and swap 2nds).

Essentially, I think getting Kapanen and a 2nd for Tanev is basically bang on for value... we may even be getting a good deal. Thinking we'll get Landeskog or Duchene etc for Tanev is entirely unrealistic.

Now to the 'is it worth making this trade'... I think the answer is yes. Despite best efforts otherwise, canucks are actually fairly deep in middle pairing defensemen right now... and despite his continual overvaluing by Canucks fans Tanev is at best a #2 defenceman (no physicality or offence). Unless Edler is able to be moved, we actually may start having a bit of a logjam in the defence for getting the younger guys minutes... so getting a potential top line (or likely 2nd line) winger to sit with Horvat or with Sutter and develop with the team for the future would be a win.

31 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

People need to stop quoting the Hall trade like that has any impact on other trades. It was a case of a team  having a very specific need and want who had the expendable assets to over pay with.  If Tanev gets moved I would be flabbergasted if the return was anywhere close to a player of Hall's quality.  

You are exactly right. Chiarelli traded Hall to get more eyes on RNH (who by all accounts is still available). Hall for Larsen is a one of not the trend. Business does come into factor as well.

30 minutes ago, Misconduct16 said:

Reading the replies here I think a lot of you are seriously underestimating Kapanen. If he wasn't in a Toronto organization stacked with young talent he would definitely be in the NHL. The fact that the terms 'fast' and 'dynamic' are used about his game frequently are exactly what the Canucks need... especially with recent drafts choosing size and then position over skill. 

This year he is legitimately ripping apart the AHL. 32 points in 32 games. I would love to see someone of his skilled pedigree in a Canucks uniform.

As far as everyone continually comparing trading Tanev to the Larsson for Hall trade... STOP.
Regardless of the fact that Larsson is 3 years younger and has a much higher ceiling, the Devils were able to take advantage of a team desperate to find a defenceman. They wanted to move RNH or Eberle but noone was willing to give up a young top 4 D for either of them. I'd be more inclined to consider the Kulikov trade an equivalent comparison... A decent young defenceman and a 3rd round pick (and swap 2nds).

Essentially, I think getting Kapanen and a 2nd for Tanev is basically bang on for value... we may even be getting a good deal. Thinking we'll get Landeskog or Duchene etc for Tanev is entirely unrealistic.

Now to the 'is it worth making this trade'... I think the answer is yes. Despite best efforts otherwise, canucks are actually fairly deep in middle pairing defensemen right now... and despite his continual overvaluing by Canucks fans Tanev is at best a #2 defenceman (no physicality or offence). Unless Edler is able to be moved, we actually may start having a bit of a logjam in the defence for getting the younger guys minutes... so getting a potential top line (or likely 2nd line) winger to sit with Horvat or with Sutter and develop with the team for the future would be a win.

I like Kapanen as well, he has some serious wheels. I would still want something added on top though, maybe two 2nd round picks? I think Toronto still has the Sens pick from the Phaneuf trade.

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

I like it and think it's fair. But I do agree with Wilbur that Shanny would have to sweeten the pot.

My only concern would be whether moving Christopher would mean that Guddy gets re-signed. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of that idea.

They must have B prospect that we like, or a roster guy with a bit of contract.  I'm just not sure how much better this makes us, though I've never seen Kapanen play.

Here's my change

Canucks:

Tanev

2017 3rd

Leafs:

Kapanen

2017 1st 

2017 2nd

Tanev is worth slightly more than Kapanen and 2nd IMO, so if we add a 1st from the leafs and give them our 3rd, it balances out.  Maybe we don't even need to give them our 3rd. Leafs could really use Tanev.

Archived