The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van-Col trade

JM_

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. I was initially not thrilled with the idea of acquiring Duchene from Colorado, but the more I look at the stats I'm warming to it. He's 61.2% on face-offs this year. Put that with Bo, Sutter and Chaput and that might just the best combined FO% in the league next season if Manny can keep it all going.

But what about Henrik you ask? Well... honestly I'm hoping that they are going to allow themselves to be moved to a contender, and if not Duchene does play LW or Henrik gets moved to a wing. Or put Sutter on the wing if Henrik not willing/able to make the change. We have to look past the Sedins now, and getting a 25 year old 1/2C isn't an everyday trade opportunity.

So, what about this:

Tanev, Granlund to COL

Duchene to Van

I know Tanev's not the LHD they might covet, but he's an actual top pairing D man who they can pair with a younger LH partner. So Col gets the D talent they need desperately, and we have a very solid C group. Duchene's also signed for 2 more seasons after this. We also might lose Granny for nothing to Vegas.

We'd probably have to go out and get a free agent veteran D man in the off season to help with the young D but maybe not depending on how Stecher and Tryamkin improve.

5 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Colorado probably wants more because they think of Duchene as a top notch guy

I dunno - according to Dreger a guy like Tanev would fit the bill. Sounds like Landeskog has the higher asking price.

59 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I dunno - according to Dreger a guy like Tanev would fit the bill. Sounds like Landeskog has the higher asking price.

Yup, I heard Dregger say the same.  Tanev straight across for Duchene gets it done.  But does that trade make us better?

I'd rather have Landy if we're trading with Col, I like his speed and heavy play. Great shot to boot.

Maybe Duche's game is too subtle and smart for my dumbass to appreciate, and admittedly I don't watch the Av's all that often, but he never seems to take the bull by the horns and just get er done. He needs to be surrounded by talent to be effective.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup, I heard Dregger say the same.  Tanev straight across for Duchene gets it done.  But does that trade make us better?

Not at all. We end up having to expose Granny and Baer no matter what. 

Well, unless the "twins retire". 

52 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Not at all. We end up having to expose Granny and Baer no matter what. 

Well, unless the "twins retire". 

A move for a Duchesne is a franchise plan altering move.  If you make that deal, then you have to consider subsidiary moves to round it out.

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A move for a Duchesne is a franchise plan altering move.  If you make that deal, then you have to consider subsidiary moves to round it out.

No doubt. I see Bo as our future #1, he has that, that Ox factor. A move for Duchesne is essentially a vote of non-cofindence in Bo, or would / could be perceived as such. 

A move for Landy is kind of a no brainier. He has what all of our wingers lack - the whole package. Smart, fast, strong, skilled, hits like a truck and is really hard to get position on because he's so fast and strong. 

Totally opposed to trading for Duchesne.

6 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

yeah but it is Dreger who really say he knows and shows time and time again he is not close

I want a player like Duchene here and if so means the twins will be traded as Horvat looks to be the future 1st line C starting next year

plus the asking price for Landy is way way to high for us and other teams!

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

No doubt. I see Bo as our future #1, he has that, that Ox factor. A move for Duchesne is essentially a vote of non-cofindence in Bo, or would / could be perceived as such. 

A move for Landy is kind of a no brainier. He has what all of our wingers lack - the whole package. Smart, fast, strong, skilled, hits like a truck and is really hard to get position on because he's so fast and strong. 

Totally opposed to trading for Duchesne.

I get your view. I also agree Landy is a more obvious fit. But at his age, and owning his physique, he would be much more expensive.

But back to Duchesne.  I don't believe strength down centre ice is ever a problem. Look at Boston.  They have part time all star Krejci.  And one of the games two or three best match up pivots in Bergeron. If not the best. Everything we want Bo to become.  This summer they still signed another two way beast in David Backes.  Result?  Boston is back in the play off picture. 

Duchesne is an absolute flyer. Who would instantly add a degree of speed and skill down the middle we have rarely had in Canuck land.  So I don't see him as competition for Bo in any way.  Just an option to deploy a skill set we don't currently have.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I get your view. I also agree Landy is a more obvious fit. But at his age, and owning his physique, he would be much more expensive.

But back to Duchesne.  I don't believe strength down centre ice is ever a problem. Look at Boston.  They have part time all star Krejci.  And one of the games two or three best match up pivots in Bergeron. If not the best. Everything we want Bo to become.  This summer they still signed another two way beast in David Backes.  Result?  Boston is back in the play off picture. 

Duchesne is an absolute flyer. Who would instantly add a degree of speed and skill down the middle we have rarely had in Canuck land.  So I don't see him as competition for Bo in any way.  Just an option to deploy a skill set we don't currently have.

Convincing point of view, surfer, but our defense needs Tanev so badly. We're not very good back there, yet. Young.

And I'd still rather get Landy.

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

True, but we'd have a legit pair of 1st and 2nd C's, Sutter as a very good 3C. Thats a nice tree to hang the rest of the F bobbles from.

We'd have a more painful time with the learning curve on D but we'd be very strong up the middle. 

12 hours ago, luckylager said:

Maybe Duche's game is too subtle and smart for my dumbass to appreciate, and admittedly I don't watch the Av's all that often, but he never seems to take the bull by the horns and just get er done. He needs to be surrounded by talent to be effective.

I had the same idea, until I looked at his stats. He's got 401 pts in 531 games, vs Taylor Hall has 354 in 414. I did that comparison looking at the Hall-Larson deal as a comparable and didn't realize he was that good a producer. 

I was looking at this because its so hard to draft a C this good, and if we're likely going to be drafting mid-1st round for the next few years we are probably going to be drafting young wingers vs. 1/2 Cs. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

True, but we'd have a legit pair of 1st and 2nd C's, Sutter as a very good 3C. Thats a nice tree to hang the rest of the F bobbles from.

We'd have a more painful time with the learning curve on D but we'd be very strong up the middle. 

Duchene is a ticket seller too.  No one goes to games to watch Tanev.  This is the best time for this type of trade, because a guy like Tanev has HUGE value, and Duchene's value is at a low point.  It's so much like that Hall/Larsen deal, where both teams benefit.

Now there is the JB compete for the playoffs mantra.  I think that philosophy gets in the way.  This is one trade though, where Aquaman might say, "get it done", because of the ticket sales.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Duchene is a ticket seller too.  No one goes to games to watch Tanev.  This is the best time for this type of trade, because a guy like Tanev has HUGE value, and Duchene's value is at a low point.  It's so much like that Hall/Larsen deal, where both teams benefit.

Now there is the JB compete for the playoffs mantra.  I think that philosophy gets in the way.  This is one trade though, where Aquaman might say, "get it done", because of the ticket sales.  

I know the deal makes things tougher on the D initially but like I said there are some short term FA options next season that would smooth it out a bit. And Juolevi seems to already be a calming smoothing skating D type so who knows how fast he can start contributing that way.

We're going to lose one of Granny or Baer, right now honestly I'm not sure which one is the bigger loss. They're both doing well. The way Granlund can score close in is pretty enticing but Baer fits so well with Bo... hard choices for sure. 

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I know the deal makes things tougher on the D initially but like I said there are some short term FA options next season that would smooth it out a bit. And Juolevi seems to already be a calming smoothing skating D type so who knows how fast he can start contributing that way.

We're going to lose one of Granny or Baer, right now honestly I'm not sure which one is the bigger loss. They're both doing well. The way Granlund can score close in is pretty enticing but Baer fits so well with Bo... hard choices for sure. 

I've been one of the strongest advocates for trading Tanev for a guy like Duchene.  We will lose either Sbisa or one of Granlund/Baer.  Unless JB trades Hansen and Tanev:)

Just now, Alflives said:

I've been one of the strongest advocates for trading Tanev for a guy like Duchene.  We will lose either Sbisa or one of Granlund/Baer.  Unless JB trades Hansen and Tanev:)

Right, and that could happen. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

It's not like JB has NEVER traded away guys at the TDL.  B) Isn't he known as Trader Jim?  :lol:

I think someone needs to eat their words on that... our Granlund is scoring more goals than the other Granlund :P

People are way too hung up on Vrbata and Hamhuis. Its like some story that won't die, because it can't be killed, because it never happened... some eternal BS that has its own life. 

22 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. I was initially not thrilled with the idea of acquiring Duchene from Colorado, but the more I look at the stats I'm warming to it. He's 61.2% on face-offs this year. Put that with Bo, Sutter and Chaput and that might just the best combined FO% in the league next season if Manny can keep it all going.

But what about Henrik you ask? Well... honestly I'm hoping that they are going to allow themselves to be moved to a contender, and if not Duchene does play LW or Henrik gets moved to a wing. Or put Sutter on the wing if Henrik not willing/able to make the change. We have to look past the Sedins now, and getting a 25 year old 1/2C isn't an everyday trade opportunity.

So, what about this:

Tanev, Granlund to COL

Duchene to Van

I know Tanev's not the LHD they might covet, but he's an actual top pairing D man who they can pair with a younger LH partner. So Col gets the D talent they need desperately, and we have a very solid C group. Duchene's also signed for 2 more seasons after this. We also might lose Granny for nothing to Vegas.

We'd probably have to go out and get a free agent veteran D man in the off season to help with the young D but maybe not depending on how Stecher and Tryamkin improve.

Ya sounds really good if the Avs go for it but I am sure they would want more like add a 1st or another young D-man

Archived