The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Sedins and the expansion draft Question

King T

This may be redundant but I can't find anything.

to the point:

could the Sedins retire at the end of the season in order for the Canucks to be able to protect more players from the expansion draft because of their exempt status due to the no movement clause they have? Only to change their mind before or at the start of next season??

if not should the Canucks pressure a retirement in order to not lose a granlund or beartschi etc...?

i am a sedin fan but because we have to protect them we will likely lose a key piece moving forward all because they have one more or less with the Canucks?

thoughts please

29 minutes ago, King T said:

to the point:

could the Sedins retire at the end of the season in order for the Canucks to be able to protect more players from the expansion draft because of their exempt status due to the no movement clause they have? Only to change their mind before or at the start of next season??

if not should the Canucks pressure a retirement in order to not lose a granlund or beartschi etc...?

i am a sedin fan but because we have to protect them we will likely lose a key piece moving forward all because they have one more or less with the Canucks?

thoughts please

sounds kinda fraudulent and completely unethical to me

45 minutes ago, King T said:

to the point:

thoughts please

Why wouldn't every player on every team retire and re-sign in this manner if it were possible?

46 minutes ago, King T said:

to the point:

thoughts please

The Trades, Rumours, Signings subforum is not meant for hypothetical proposals and discussions such as this. It also requires all threads in that subforum to contain Tags, which yours did not. Instead of locking your thread I have moved it to Proposals and Armchair GM'ing. Please try to read the description/requirements/stickies for the subforum prior to creating a thread. Thanks! 

Yea La says hello.  

30 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

sounds kinda fraudulent and completely unethical to me

The Los Angeles Kings terminated Mike Richards’ contract Monday, claiming the underachieving forward committed a “material breach” of its terms.

The move is a surprising tactic in the Kings’ prolonged attempt to get out from under the last five seasons of the 12-year, US$69 million deal signed by Richards with Philadelphia in 2008.

The Kings acquired Richards in 2011, and he played a key supporting role on their two Stanley Cup champion teams. But Richards’ scoring production has declined sharply during his tenure in Los Angeles, culminating in just 16 points from 53 games last season.

Bigger problems in the world. As sport fans, we tend to build up these issues beyond their importance.

I'd ask one of them to kaibosh their NMC, or hang 'em up. Silly to lose young assets for their super slow-motion, status quo.

What should(& will) happen are likely two seperate matters.

16 hours ago, King T said:

to the point:

thoughts please

You only need to protect NMC's if the players chose to not waive that clause.   Chances of a Vegas choosing one twin, for one year, a 7 mill, is slim to be begin with. Sedins could do this team a favor, waive their clause and we'd be able to protect 2 more forwards.

19 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Yea La says hello.  

The Los Angeles Kings terminated Mike Richards’ contract Monday, claiming the underachieving forward committed a “material breach” of its terms.

The move is a surprising tactic in the Kings’ prolonged attempt to get out from under the last five seasons of the 12-year, US$69 million deal signed by Richards with Philadelphia in 2008.

The Kings acquired Richards in 2011, and he played a key supporting role on their two Stanley Cup champion teams. But Richards’ scoring production has declined sharply during his tenure in Los Angeles, culminating in just 16 points from 53 games last season.

well you forgot to update your history on this transaction

la was forced to buy out richards as they normally would have

and his buyout is part of their cap hit going forward

so la really did not get away with anything

in the end, they simply bought out richards as per the buyout rules

and will be paying him until the 2030 - 2031 season

very long buy out term

On 12/01/2017 at 10:34 PM, cripplereh said:

better plan like other teams have done in the past give them the CBJ's second rounders that we are owed and tell them they must pick up Gaunce or someone else

If we gave up a second they better be picking Biega 

22 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You only need to protect NMC's if the players chose to not waive that clause.   Chances of a Vegas choosing one twin, for one year, a 7 mill, is slim to be begin with. Sedins could do this team a favor, waive their clause and we'd be able to protect 2 more forwards.

Could see mcphee taking one as a big F You to the canucks for pulling that. He has the cap space and could trade Henrik at the deadline for a lot as a rental. Or maybe just ransom him back to us.

On 1/14/2017 at 0:14 AM, coastal.view said:

well you forgot to update your history on this transaction

la was forced to buy out richards as they normally would have

and his buyout is part of their cap hit going forward

so la really did not get away with anything

in the end, they simply bought out richards as per the buyout rules

and will be paying him until the 2030 - 2031 season

very long buy out term

Was not a buyout but a settlement.  They have a recapture penalty because he had one of those front loaded contracts à la Luongo.  It's added to whatever amount they are paying him until  2030-31.

It apparently benefits them because the buyout is a higher cap penalty then the recapture cap hit and the settlement that they now have on their books.

Archived